Notices

Nightmare scenario- Kid Rock concert, lol

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh.I would have to go! All summer long is my favorite song of his. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to hear it live.

This may not help you one bit. But, every time I'm in a situation like that,I think about an interview I watched of Johny Cash. He said he had done it all.Every drink and drug out there. He'd been there done that,no fun anymore. There was nothing out there he hadn't tried.

You can still have fun and be cool. To me the coolest people are the ones that have been there,done that and decided to give it up.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Go have fun. Don't worry your self, your strong and you will remain sober
Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think I would rethink my first event I went to, even though I didn't drink, it was gut wrenching, confronting and I think I nearly cried.

Even though I didn't drink, I wish I hadn't gone. It was more overwhelming than I could have imagined and I felt trapped.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Get to that concert or send me the tickets. Haha. I did a concert a month after with no issues. You have a couple friends supporting you. Go Lions!!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You could leave your credit cards and cash at home. Or have your friends carry it but I kinda like the idea of just leaving them at home.

This may sound like a silly question, but your friends know the seriousness of your drinking problem right? Until this time I always told my friends that I was just "taking a break" or "cutting back" to keep the door open for the possibility of future drinking. It doesn't sound like this is the case for you. I think you've been totally upfront with your friends. I've told my friends now that I don't drink anymore. At all.

Like I mentioned earlier, I went to a concert after a few days of sobriety and didn't drink. Now, mind you, it was a Cher concert rather than Kid Rock but I'll bet you that if you do go, you'll be surprised how little most people drink. Sure, you'll have the drunken slobs wobbling around but most people don't even enjoy having more than a few drinks. Like I said, I realize that a Kid Rock concert might be waaaaaaaay different than Cher but I noticed most people around me having two or three beers at most during the three hours. Like most alcoholics, I've developed an almost savant-like talent for counting other people's drinks. It used to be to make sure I wasn't getting too far ahead of them!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful

I think you answered your own question in your title:

"Nightmare scenario- Kid Rock concert, lol"

If part of you sees this as a nightmare scenario, to me that throws up red flags. It's not that you can't go to the concert and not drink, but if you are already in the mindset that it is going to be difficult will you really be able to enjoy the concert? Personally I was not ready to go to a concert and be around others drinking at 2 weeks sober.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I would go and I would be moshing right down in front... "MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIID"

It would be weird for me to drink since I'm a nondrinker. That's how I define myself, that's how I live.

Amount of time without drinking didn't matter to me because when I quit...I knew. I knew deeply and profoundly that I was done drinking. Do you know that? If not, the concert experience may be different for you than it is for me.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mek2 View Post
Go Lions!!

That made my day.

I think I can do this. I think I have the support, and the Plan A and Plan B in place. I think/I hope.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I just got back from a nine inch nails outdoor concert and it was great being sober!
The whole place reaked of beer and marijuana, but honestly I just enjoyed the show and the fact that I would remember it and I could stay all the way to the end and didn't have to worry about becoming too drunk to get myself home safely.

Honestly something that helped me was the smell of beer when I wasn't drinking it. It smells disgusting, like something rotting. If you start tot hink about drinking, focus on how gross it smells and the fact that so many people have been fooled into paying for poison and missing half the show while waiting in ridiculous lines. It was so awesome to be free from all that.

Just go in there 120% sure that you will not drink no matter what and you got this, no problem
Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

How are you feeling now it's nearly here Hobbers?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Like I can do it, and like I have set up my support group and plan enough to make this happen. All the guys I am going with 'know the story' now, and are supportive/cool. If I can keep a can of energy drink or pop in my hand, and my other hand raised up 'throwing rocker horns', I imagine this shouldn't be too hard.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
Like I can do it, and like I have set up my support group and plan enough to make this happen. All the guys I am going with 'know the story' now, and are supportive/cool. If I can keep a can of energy drink or pop in my hand, and my other hand raised up 'throwing rocker horns', I imagine this shouldn't be too hard.

You got this! Just don't give in to temptation and don't drink even one drop. You will be shocked at how much fun you were missing out of when you used to drink at shows. There are so many more details that you notice when you're sober.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hope you get on ok and have a great time
Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yeah let us know how it went
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I went to Glastonbury completely sober and I was worried, but it was actually completely awesome sober. Like a pure musical experience, about enjoying the songs, not getting f****d up while music happens in the background.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am going to Motley Crue Sunday with my 2 - 23 year old sons. I have no desire to drink and I know I wont. I will watch all the people who have drank way too much and see from the outside looking in at what excessive alcohol does to people and to remind myself what I was like when drinking.