Notices

How do you feel about Booze jokes / posts on Facebook?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I guess I'm in the minority with you GotGrace. I too find it rather odd that a person living life in sobriety (and less than 2 years at that) is posting useful tips on opening wine or making jokes bout getting hammered...

It seems rather inauthentic. Is he/she ashamed of their sobriety and trying to pass herself off as a drinker? There are plenty of things in the world to make light of...why drinking when you don't drink. Ya..I too think it's wierd...and yes, a little alarming. Is she suddenly pining to be a drinker again...living her life vicariously through joking bout it..pretending she is one...one of the "cool kids" in her mind.

Yup..sorry....if it were my family...(but I'm easily ruffled by mine these days lol)..it would make me wonder also.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If someone took my freedom, injured me, or sent me to the hospital, etc., I would not post jokes about the experience. Would not post "jokes" about alcohol, either.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No one knows the thought process behind why she posted on FB. But in my experience, so what? Lighten up. If she is comfortable in her sobriety go for what you want to do. It's her FB, not yours. If others second guess it, its your problem, not hers.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I know I am only ten days in (this time around), but I gotta agree with the 'lighten up, or don't look' side here. 95% of the world drinks, and 90% of them drink 'normally', to no/little ill effect. It is not THEIR fault that I have a problem here. It is MINE, and mine only.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't mind jokes, humour in the context of humour isn't going to jeopardise my Sobriety, there's a time and place for humour, and then there's a time for being serious!!

Facebook wouldn't be on the top of my list for having serious conversations around alcohol and addiction!!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that I can still laugh at booze jokes and posts. I have posted some myself. It has nothing to do with my Sobriety. If something's funny, its funny, and I love to laugh. I love Family Guy and that show is full of booze. To each their own.

~Bunnez
Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Giving anything posted on facebook much value can be dangerous to your health,
Old 08-20-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
I hear you lunar and Scott. I started a FB page in 2009 and two days later I shut it down. Do people really want to hear that I changed the spark plugs in my truck, took the dog for a walk, cut the grass or my little league t-ball team won their game. Well maybe the T-ball game part.

I am not selling myself short, but the way I see it, simple is better. Less media is better. Heck I barely watch TV. Maybe I am old school / old fashioned but I managed this long without all of that stuff. I hate my smartphone (provided by work) except when I can log into SR and text my wife.
Me too havnt posted in a couple years.

Not a conscious decision but I have found I drifted away from a lot of lifes little complexities like TV, facebook and the like. Barely watch news or read papers much now, too much overload.

The world didn't stop or even notice my absence I don't think, and I like that just fine.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Ignore people that post things that bother you. You have no way of knowing what others intend when posting no matter what the subject might be.

My stance on Facebook is that while it can be useful, the bulk if the content is gossip or personal ego stroking. I deleted my account about 3 years ago and I don't miss it one bit.
agree with this 100%
look I'm at Starbucks
I'm at the gym
I have the best BF in the world
I'm so lucky
Look, I'm in Hawaii
Look how spectacular my kids are
Look at me!

It's just not a normal way to communicate with people

Take it for what it is - either delete it or check it once a week or month and then briefly
Old 08-20-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjuly View Post
agree with this 100%
look I'm at Starbucks
I'm at the gym
I have the best BF in the world
I'm so lucky
Look, I'm in Hawaii
Look how spectacular my kids are
Look at me!

It's just not a normal way to communicate with people

Take it for what it is - either delete it or check it once a week or month and then briefly

"Just did X lengths of the pool, I’m really going to feel this tomorrow, LOL!”

NOBODY CARES.

Anyone miss the days when you used to have to take a picture of your dinner, take the film to a photo lab, wait for it to be developed, make copies and post them out to your friends to show them what you just ate? nope, me either.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

"I'm powerless over what others post on facebook......."
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

My mum was an alcoholic and she used to do this thing shed hold a glass with a bit of water and say she had a drink problem (Iknew fully) she would then proceed to throw iit over her shoulder into the sinking used to cry laughing

My mum is due as now and recently I was watching air plane 2 and I seen where she got the joke and it was the best feeling ever like I connected with her through that joke so I'm not sure

I don't mind light hearted fun its when non alcoholics go hard dark jokes (are they jokes??) and be sick for the sake of sickness
Old 08-20-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopscotch View Post
A family member has close to two years sobriety.

I've noticed that in the past few months, she's posted a few of those pics / jokes about alcohol on Facebook: You know which ones I mean.
Yesterday it was a video of how to open a bottle of wine without a corkscrew.

I was surprised that she'd post these kinds of things. It made me uncomfortable! I don't know... there are so many things to post, why chose those? Almost as if the whole thing is a joke. Especially when I read people's comments underneath- people who clearly have no clue about her alcoholism and were refering to her old partying days.

I don't know why it bothers me. Perhaps because I feel like she should know better? Its not a joke. Or that maybe that's she's taking the subject that has caused so much destruction in our lives seemingly lightly? Maybe I'm afraid she's the tempting the devil, glamorizing drinking, making it seem fun? Does that make sense?

Thoughts?
People who post about their drinking exploits on Facebook are generally foolish (I know, I used to be one). They either are so blind they cannot see what the drug is doing to them, or they know and are so stuck in their addiction that they won't take any steps to get out of it. I know for some people Facebook pics of partying can be a trigger, but now I just feel bad for these people. I'm sure I looked as sad as they do now.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have to laugh at Tetra's comment about developing photos of what I've eaten and posting them to friends.

I would ask the relative about the posts. It sounds like you might be concerned about her relapsing. If she is just posting because she thinks it's funny, then that is up to her and you can ignore her posts.

It depends on my mood as to whether I'm bothered by other people posting pictures of their drinking and exploits. I don't find it all that interesting and didn't when I was drinking.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much!

Two things I take from this:
a) Some of you appreciate the comic relief of such jokes, others not so much
Different strokes for different folks. I tend to forget that...
b) The "lighten up" comment! Touché! I AM uptight by nature! While this family member is not, she just laughs at everything, all the time. While it may raise "relapse" flags for me, she probably didn't think twice in that direction and just genuinely found these things funny, with no afterthought about drinking or triggers or relapsing.

I appreciate you guys so much!!!!
Thank you for your generosity and honesty!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It only bothers me when I see people glorifying alcohol. A young friend yesterday posted that she can only really be herself when she drinks wine. She isn't an alcoholic, I don't think. . .but it bothered me bc of that attitude. "I'm not a real person until I have alcohol in me." But I do love jokes.

My best friend drinks and it doesn't bother me. . .until she picks up the 4th. I will leave then. Actually, when I'm around folks who drink, I will leave when they start to change and the alcohol is taking over. I don't want those memories of them.