Notices

first week support

Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first week support

There must be a thread here but i can't find it.

What do people advise to support the first week or so without drinking?
are there loads of extra vitimains or supplements you should take to help craving?

My friend suggested Clonazepam which he has spare. i googled it & it said it is used to deal with eplilepsy and anxiety & also alcohol withdrawal.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Towards the end of my drinking and 1st week I suffered pasnic attacks
I made an apt with a gp explained everything and said I am having really bad panic attacks I'm not a fan of meds but it was bad enough for me to go doc

They suggested a paper bag i said it doesn't work I explained they were hesitant as esp for addicts this is dangerous

Book apt gp read bicycle family good friends whomcare bbe honest and good luck my friend
Old 08-20-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Jason, welcome to the forum.
First, it is against forum rules to give out medical advice- for good reason, we are not your doctor.
Secondly, I personally wouldn't take any prescription drugs without taking to my doctor first. That's not just the forum rules talking,t hat is me.

Can you see a doctor to ask these questions? There are a number of vitamins and supplements that are good to take, any google search should lead you down the right path.
I take a number of vitamins and supplements to help clean my liver and to help replenish vitamins I am missing due to years of alcohol abuse.
One natural way to clean your liver is starting each day with a warm glass of water with the juice of 1 lemon in it. The warm water is apparently key. The lemon water is also good for a number of different things like improved skin, improved digestion, energy, etc.

To counter your cravings you need to come up with a plan ahead of time, what you will do when they appear. I have found timing my cravings to be useful. I took the average time from 2 or 3 days of cravings and now when they appear I acknowledge them and then watch the clock knowing that on average the most brutal moments(I am going to drink NOOOOWWWWWWW!) pass in about 5-7 minutes. I have also found that coming on here and reading and posting through them is really helpful. There are plenty of stories to choose from as to why it is not a good idea to drink. Also posting and helping others in turn helps myself.

Stay strong, it won't always be easy but I assure you it is worth it. I'm on day 2 here after a relapse. I am looking forward to finding lasting sobriety.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'll get my plan made and look into the supplements I should take for my poor liver.

it's just that first week, I guess determination is the key. & I feel I have committed myself in writing with witnesses as it were on this forum.

& that feels good.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonNorth View Post
Thanks. I'll get my plan made and look into the supplements I should take for my poor liver.

it's just that first week, I guess determination is the key. & I feel I have committed myself in writing with witnesses as it were on this forum.

& that feels good.
It really does feel good when you put it out there. Again, I have relapsed, but I am determined to give this another, solid shot. I could never have made it my first 13 days without this forum. The great people here got me through all the ups and downs. I'm halfway into day 2 again and feeling strong. Best of luck to you!

And see your doctor!!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think I'm ready to see my doctor, i've know him for almost 30 years. i'd be a bit embarrassed to be honest. & I dont think i want that on my medical file.

good luck with the next few days meraviglioso
Old 08-20-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise has helped me immensely. It forces your blood to circulate and helps clean your system out by sweating.

I also feel that it helps me with anxiety and worrying for some reasons.

But if your body is in bad shape it's just best to see a doctor and let them give you the go ahead.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im in good shape. exercise will play a big part of the next 3 months leading up to christmas.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jason see a differnt doctor if it too much but here are the pluses of seeing your doc u know

Patient confidentiality, he/she is likely to care more if they know you but be honest they have a ton of experience relating to health not so much with alcoholism every doc is different but I would see the 1 I know then the 1 i don't

And I wouldn't hesitate either this is a high priority thing in getting sober

Good luck
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first few weeks were about being good to my body, it'll do all the work, just give it plenty of fluids, nutrition and rest, even some exercise!!

I didn't take anything for cravings, but having sugar during mid afternoon slumps seemed to help!!

You can do this!!