Notices

I have an interview this morning, super nervous

Old 08-20-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have an interview this morning, super nervous

As some of you know I am struggling to find work that will be sufficient enough for me to cut professional ties with the father of my children. While we have a positive parenting relationship, having to be at his home (where my alcoholism really took hold and is full of triggers for me) is not good for my sobriety. I would like to get to a place where I no longer need that work, but as of yet I am not there.

The job I am interviewing for this morning will not get me there, but it is a great stepping stone that could open the doors to so much more. I really need to score this position. It will only be a little extra money each month and as such will carry very minimal (but very important) responsibilities. I know I could not handle anything extra if I continue to drink. Right now I am piecing together a lot of little jobs to make ends meet, which is very stressful and overwhelming at times to keep everything organized.

In any case, I had a moment of wanting to drink this morning (it is 9am here!) but I didn't and I won't. I fortunately have rid my house of all alcohol to avoid a sudden slip.

I now need to finish my coffee and get to looking great. Thankfully I am hangover free and sober. Wish me luck!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes meraviglioso!

D
Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wow good luck !!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks and yay! It went really well! It looks like I will be starting this work the end of the summer. I had a similar opportunity a few weeks ago and found out I got that job too. In addition, this person has a number of connections for other work so hopefully I can build this up to something that sustains me int he long term.
I will not, however, be able to keep up with all of these jobs if I drink alcohol. I have proven that already. I saw my "functioning alcoholic" state deteriorate in to completely "unfunctioning" this summer. I am stopping just in the nick of time. Gotta keep it up for real sustainability to occur.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job, Mera! Good, positive, productive things can happen when we're sober. Proud of & happy for you!

Hugs!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yay super high fives
Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats, keep moving forward!
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

High 5 !
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations. WE try to live each day as a new “Easy does it” day. Reading these posts is being a guide for my sanity and helps keep me aligned.

BE WELL
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome Mera! Congratulations. You just made my day!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Best of luck Mera!
Onward!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In bocca al lupo, Mera!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleFelix View Post
In bocca al lupo, Mera!
Crepi!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Go get 'em, Mera! Best of luck to you!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Forca !! I think that's Italian for go on !!!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nice!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great stuff Meraviglioso!!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It is amazing how you can turn anything into a celebration. Just a few days ago I would have celebrated with an expensive wine. But that is no longer what I want. So tonight I went to the local market and bought a bunch of what I think in English are called "doughnut peaches" They are a special kind of peach shaped like a ring, super sweet and delicious and unfortunately super expensive. But their expense makes them a real "special occasion" type purchase. Tonight I bought 6! I also bought a coconut for the kids. They recently discovered coconut and love it. Actually, I really want to share this story. They had never had coconut before but one day my older son asked for one while in the market. I had recently seen the video, which I will share below, about "their first time" It is a video about recognizing how special simple things are for children, particularly the first time. In any case, we bought a coconut and together looked up on the internet how to open one properly, we opened it together, smashed it with a hammer, all tasted it together. It was a special moment for the kids, but also special for me because I was sober, I really enjoyed this moment of seeing my kids enjoy something new for the first time and enjoyed it myself.

This video will make you cry! The translation, loosely, is "This is *name*, age *age* she has never played the piano/pet a kitten/seen the ocean/etc. This is her/his first time. So sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx-4rva2_ZQ

Long story short, tonight, super peaches and coconut to celebrate! I'm happy.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's awesome Mera. I am so glad that you did great with your interview. Your post just boosted me for the day.

I remember about 7 years ago when we had just bought our first house and I bought a yard sprinkler to water grass, plants etc (my wife is an addict with gardening.) when the kids were old enough I showed them how fun jumping through the sprinkler was. It was like they took a trip to the moon. They are still young so you can only imagine what the water bill is like but its worth it.

Again congrats on the job and more so congrats on your sobriety.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

awwww, how fun Charlie! I ache thinking about how many first times, and let's face it, times in general, that I missed out on being too drunk too appreciate. Not anymore. I want to be *there* for everything.

****oh, but if there could be an off button for when they are acting like little monsters, that would be nice too