Notices

Day 2

Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Brief history. I started binge drinking in college during most weekends, but never considered myself to have a problem. Fast forward 20+ years, I was drinking 1 pint to 1.5 pints of Vodka on daily basis somewhat gradually to that point. Only significant time I quit drinking was during Lent about 6 years ago. I got drunk as soon was Lent was over on Easter Sunday!

During the past year, I realized I was drinking more and more and also in the morning and during the day. I somehow managed to keep my career going, but it was really affecting my family relationships and my health. I was vomiting all the time, constant digestion problems, shaky hands and problem with memory. I couldn't remember people's names!!!

I was fortunate to have the courage to walk into Celebrate Recovery (Christianity based 12 step program) meeting yesterday. I know it's only day 2, but I somehow feel like I'll make it this time.

I have been lurking on the forum on and off for a couple of years now, and I've read some inspirational stories here and I hope it can help me succeed.

First day wasn't so bad. I had trouble sleeping though. I had to get to work only after a couple hours of sleep. Tonight, again, I'm very tired, but can't seem to fall asleep. I hope the withdrawal symptoms are limited to insomnia for me. How long before I should feel safe from other physical withdrawal symptoms?

pakman
Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Pakman92, 2 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya. :Egypt:
Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi packman, welcome to the forum.

Keep with it one step at a time, I found I wanted to rush to start with and it all be ok in an instant . Our bodies want time to heal and sleep will come.

We are different in how withdrawals affect us, if you find it gets worse might be worth talking to your doc.

All the best, this road you chose might have a few obstacles on the way but it is well worth it.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum packman!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
My drinking progressed until I was drinking all day, too. Then, the old faithful of the late stage alcoholic, vodka.
Wasn't my only drink though, I'd do a couple of shooters of whiskey at 8am to get things kicked in then beer all day. I drank like that for ten years.
I went through some pretty nasty withdrawals. But it's hard to say what may happen with you as everyone is different. If it gets worrisome make a trip to the ER or your doctor.

So glad you found a support group, they can be invaluable. So good luck with that.
Congratulations on two days, and many more to you. You'll find lots of support here, too.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I hope you begin to sleep better soon.

We are all different with the withdrawals we experience.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh wow, I so relate to your story, I too started out "just" binge drinking then progressed into all day drinking. The memory issues where what really got me worried. My memory was completely shot. Congratulations to you. 2 days is nothing short of spectacular for someone who has been drinking like you. Things can only get better from here. I have recently relapsed, so am on day 2 as well. However, I previously got to day 13 and felt incredible. After all the abuse I put my body through it was amazing that I felt so good after just 13 days. I only wish I had kept going because I know it only can get better. It is my goal to go there this time. Keep it up. I know it isn't easy. The first days sleep is so weird, but I found after day 5 or 6 it got a lot better. Not to mention my energy, my skin, my weight, my patience, etc. etc. Way to go! You are incredible and a real inspiration in my eyes!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Oh wow, I so relate to your story, I too started out "just" binge drinking then progressed into all day drinking. The memory issues where what really got me worried. My memory was completely shot. Congratulations to you. 2 days is nothing short of spectacular for someone who has been drinking like you. Things can only get better from here. I have recently relapsed, so am on day 2 as well. However, I previously got to day 13 and felt incredible. After all the abuse I put my body through it was amazing that I felt so good after just 13 days. I only wish I had kept going because I know it only can get better. It is my goal to go there this time. Keep it up. I know it isn't easy. The first days sleep is so weird, but I found after day 5 or 6 it got a lot better. Not to mention my energy, my skin, my weight, my patience, etc. etc. Way to go! You are incredible and a real inspiration in my eyes!
Thanks. I'm glad to hear that you have began your journey again! I hope memory comes back at some point. I feel pretty good, but just so tired. keep reporting on your journey to recovery, too.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3

Wow, am I tired. I was bit of a zombie at work today. I hope I can get some sleep tonight. Otherwise, I feel OK. More importantly, I haven't had any strong urge to drink, yet. In the few hours of light sleep I've gotten last couple of nights, dreams have been kinda strange. I've been kinda moody. Quick swing from high to low to high.

However, I'm grateful that I've made it through day 3. Read through a lot of posts last night. Read a lot about liver problems and wondered what my liver enzyme numbers look like. Five years ago, it was high, but, not ridiculously high. ALT @ 61 and AST @ 48. But, that was before I started drinking constantly. I have a physical next month for the first time in five years. I think I was afraid to find out how bad my health would be. I guess I'll find out.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wow well done.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi pakman.

Great job on your 3 days sober. It's normal to be exhausted early on. I hope you get a good rest.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Up and at work after another 3 hour sleep night. Tired, but encouraged to start day 4!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you. One day at a time. Today you are sober! I had lots of problems sleeping the first few weeks. It does get better. Be patient with your body and allow it to heal in it's own time. You can't rush a broken bone to mend, and recovery is a similar process.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Pakman,

You are an inspiration. I am on Day 1
Old 08-21-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Made it to end of day 4! Tomorrow will be a bit of a test, but making it through will make me stronger. my mind is real fuzzy from lack of sleep. Hopefully, I can get some sleep tonight.

A couple of notable moments. Earlier today when I was lighting candles for my kid's birthday. I could see the tip of the long lighter shake. Made me feel ashamed. A few hours ago, a had a very brief fleeting thought of going to the store to get some vodka. But, thankfully, the thought quickly turned to how good I feel about making it to day 4.

Good night!

Pakman
Old 08-22-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Made it through day five. Successfully told my golf buddies that I quit drinking when they of erred me the usual beer. Actually slept a decent amount last night. All is good.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yay!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good fir you Pakman. I am on day 3. Had some serious triggers yesterday but I overcame them
Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Packman your progress is great, keep on one day at a time.

There are many struggles along the way but winning them are so much worth it.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Beginning of Day 6:

Had trouble sleeping again last night. Dosed off around 3 and woke up at 6. I wonder when the insomnia will end. Hand tremors (only visible when holding something like a fork or e-cig) still there.

Some of the physical ailments before I stopped drinking have disappeared or lessened which I'm excited about. Joint soreness on my right shoulder and elbow has disappeared although I have no idea if it's was related to drinking at all since this was a very recent thing, I just may have injured it during exercise. Occasional discomfort in my chest is less frequent and less severe. The biggest change? I don't have to go to the bathroom as often. (No angry ass...)

Am I in the clear in terms of risk of severe withdrawal symptoms now that it's been over 5 days?