Notices

Context-dependent memory

Old 08-19-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Context-dependent memory

Hey All,

This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. You always hear about people becoming a completely different person when they drink. I think it might have something to do with this.

From Wiki
"Research has also shown that context-dependence may play an important role in numerous situations, such as memory for studied material, or events that have occurred following the consumption of alcohol or other drugs."

Is the other person we become the memories experiences and emotions that we only remember when we drink. Could it be that we truly have nurtured something (A different you) in our brain that is only awakened when we drink and cant remember when we are sober. (Kind of like a split personality)

I think I would like to invest my time in the real me and stop helping the "other guy" get stronger.

Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting... The me with drink in is certainly a different version of who I am - several different versions if I'm honest (the vodka version is particularly loathsome), though none are to be admired.

For me, drinking can be likened to dreams (stay with me), some sorting out stuff from recent events, some delving deep into the unconscious & others a land of make-believe. Company, location, mood etc all impact.

As ive aged, mellowed & become more tolerant, the differing me's are less extreme - that's the only positive thing I can say for long-term drinking. The same could probably be said of me if I didn't drink!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

WOW thank you !!