Notices

sober?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober?

Trying to sober up for my family how do you stop the urges I can go three days with out drinking then I start again. Yes I drink alone
Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try to think of all the negatives from drinking.Then just fight through the cravings because your brain is addicted and that takes awhile to change. I was at a place where I wanted real change and I knew the only way for that to happen was to quit drinking.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to sober up for yourself. It's too hard to do it for others, even if it's your family.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shooter1173 View Post
Trying to sober up for my family how do you stop the urges I can go three days with out drinking then I start again. Yes I drink alone
Day 3 is my sticking point as well. Quitting drinking is awfully difficult for most people under the best of circumstances. I would say the absolute #1 requirement is the complete and total desire to quit. Thus, quitting drinking to please others is not the optimum start. I'm not saying it cannot be done, but I think the first thing you need to do is look deep inside yourself and figure out what it is YOU want. If you need to stop for whatever reason you need the power to stop to come within.
I would recommend having a look around the forum here, it is a great place to start to find information, read the stories and experiences of others and to get support as you face this.
Best of luck to you. If you want it, you can have it. It won't always be easy (I'm living proof!) but it is possible.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are many programs of recovery, I use AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). Find what works for you and the obsession/urges will stop, least they have for me.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by shooter1173 View Post
how do you stop the urges?
Starve them.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

You probably can't stop urges or cravings from 'happening', but you can choose to not drink despite experiencing them. It was my experience that that the more times I recognized an urge but refused to act on it by starting to drink, the less often they occured and the severity of the feeling was less intense. Starve 'em out!
Google 'urge surfing', never tried it, but I have seen it mentioned here many times.
wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like to say out loud, "STOP".
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR shooter.

It should help to post and read here - you're among many who understand the struggle. It's much better to not deal with it alone.