Notices

IOP Treatment- What, exactly, is it?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

IOP Treatment- What, exactly, is it?

So, I begin my first ever (and hopefully last ever) treatment program tomorrow. It is intensive outpatient treatment. I don't 'really' know what 'treatment' means/what all this entails- folks tend to use it as some noun that is, I guess, supposed to mean something to me. I am imagining a more lecture-style, longer version of an AA meeting in my head, but led by someone. (I am sure I am wrong, but have nothing to compare it with.

ZERO idea what to expect from IOP- I have never done it, and no one seems to be able to give me any/a decent answer.

Also, I have a serious concern out it- I now, after two trips to detox, and being here, and being in AA meetings (off and on) for 6 months. It seems, to me, that NO ONE 'succeeds' with it. Like, I have yet to meet someone who is like 'yup- went to treatment once way back when- felt awesome after, and didn't want to drink again', and that was that. What I keep hearing (and hearing) is 'yeah, I've been to treatment 9 times', or 'Yup- I have been there, and this one, and that one, and oh yeah- THAT one was nice because they had nicer landscaping/better food/cuter guys, but did it work? Hell no."

So really- what on Earth am I supposed to GET out of this? I WANT it (whatever 'it' is) to WORK, but man..... my experiences with folks who have 'gone to treatment' (again, a strange noun that means nothing to me) has been way, way less than inspiring.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
I WANT it (whatever 'it' is) to WORK, but man..... my experiences with folks who have 'gone to treatment' (again, a strange noun that means nothing to me) has been way, way less than inspiring.
I am not familiar with IOP, but I would say if you want it to work, WORK your recovery.

By that I mean, take an active role. In a lot of medical treatment, you can take a passive role...you get treatment, kick back and wait for it to take effect. Recovery from alcoholism is not that way. It's more like the physical therapy that follows certain injuries.

As far as the less than inspiring numbers of success stories, the fact is, more fail than succeed. But that does not mean you can't. It means they aren't doing what it takes. Make sure you do.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been in treatment but I imagine Intensive Outpatient Treatment can vary with each place it's offered.

For me, motivation is what makes the difference. If you want sobriety badly enough, you will achieve it.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

just from my sons experience, it was 5 times a week for 6 weeks 2 hours a day. after that it tapers down to 3 times and so on. for him it didn't work , but then nothing did because he didn't accept that he was an addict. he just went through the motions because it was court ordered. like everything else i imagine it is what you put in, you will hopefully get something out.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is by no means court ordered (for me). I have done this whole process myself (including admitting into detox- /shudder), all voluntarily. I WANT this to work.

I NEED this to work. I actually still have a lot that I can lose, lol. I have no intention of letting any of that happen.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Low

IOP consists of lectures, education, group therapy, one on one counseling, AA meetings, weekly drug testing, usually some sort of creative therapy class thrown in. Also weekly family member lectures.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

IOP Was a combination of education on addiction and group therapy. IOP got me sober AA kept me sober
Old 08-19-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Molotov Kitty!

We will have to exchange notes Hob.... I start today... Not court ordered, but related to my DUI...

Best!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really got a lot out of my 20 day IOP. It was group therapy, addiction education, sharing stories, and an intensive... a four hour per morning meeting four days per week. I went voluntarily, and very glad I did! For me, it was a formalized way of committing to sobriety. The group therapy part of it was invaluable. I was able to grieve my mom's death, talk about some childhood issues, talk about some recent issues, and learn some things about addiction in general. We also attended a presentation called The Broken Brain where we learned about addiction from a neuropsychological angle... this was the "cement" for my sobriety. I wish everyone could see that lecture.

I highly recommend attending IOP if you are ready for sobriety (and perhaps even if you are still on the fence!).
Old 08-19-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Currently doing an IOP myself, just started last week. There's not much more for me to say about it that hasn't been said already in this thread, but one helpful aspect for me is that my urge to drink is not only quelled because I want to stay sober for myself, but also because I don't want to let the group down. We're all in this together; we've built a team in sobriety.

And I hear ya on not really coming across success stories in treatment. Like you, I've been to detox about 6 or 7 times total myself (all in the last two years) and almost all my encounters with other patients were "oh yeah, I've been there too, the food is way better" or "Hey Alphabet! Haven't seen you since last time we were in here"! (Yes, that actually happened. Twice). It became embarrassing. This last time (two weeks ago) I came across another one of those types. He had been in pretty much every detox in the area. Every psych ward, holding cell, jail, etc. And he was PROUD of it. Some people just cannot, or WILL not stop. Not for themselves and not for others. It's a sad and scary truth. But there ARE success stories. People who've been at it longer than you or I, who've HAD to go to an IOP as part of a court order. And they're now sober and happy, functioning members of society.

I'm sure the more sober time we get under our belts, the more of these success stories we'll hear. Not only that, we'll be able to tell our own!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Will do, Evil. Thanks Alpha and Jenny! I can't say I am 'excited' for it, but I am looking forward to ANY way that I can get (and stay) better/sober.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

See my post about this in August thread...(there are two)...

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I did 30 days inpatient and then 6 months of IOP, four days a week for two hours a day. I also attend 3-5 AA meetings a week (almost every day for the first 6 months) and have worked the steps.

That was almost 1.5 years ago. Yes, there were lots of people in both inpatient and outpatient who were return customers. I remember one person was in rehab for the 21st time.

But I am not those people. I only compare myself to myself. And I'm not the only "one and done" person in recovery. I know several people who only went to treatment once and haven't relapsed. The common thread between us is that we continue to work our programs to to the best of our abilities. We reach out for help when things are tough. And we don't slack off when things are going well. You get out what you put in.

As for IOP, mine was small group therapy run by a professional. Saturdays were family days, where loved ones could attend. Cross-talk was encouraged, so it was a nice change of pace from AA because I could get immediate and direct feedback from the rest of the group.

I met some of my best friends in IOP. We all still go to AA and hang out together regularly. We were all there because we wanted to get sober, not because of a court order, failed drug test or a fed-up spouse.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

IOP stands for intensive outpatient. Depending what state what county what center every treatment will vary. This is different than self help groups in the sense there is no set program to follow. It should be education whether from the counselor, sharing stories, personal development to create a program for yourself. Listen to the different things that you can try. For some self help groups don't work, but yoga and poetry may. Everyone's addiction is different so everyone's treatment will be too. Keep an open mind. You only have to try and/or use what you feel keeps you sober.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm currently in my 5th week of IOP. From the posts above, it is obvious there are various types of IOP programs. The one I go to doesn't focus on my addiction, but the underlying issues like personal relationships, anxiety, depression, family issues, past trauma, PTSD, etc. Some are alcoholics like myself, but most aren't. There's really not a lot of lecturing, but more focused on various topics that the groups discuss. I also get individual therapy, and a doctor checks on me once a week.
I also thought it would be a bunch of drunks getting together to talk about AA, the steps, etc., but AA or any recovery program is never brought up. That was a relief for me, since I didn't want to spend 4 hours, 5 days a week to talk about stuff like that. I then attend AA meetings four times a week.
As far as treatment is concerned, I have been to in-patient treatment several times. IMO, not everybody there is serious about getting sober. Some are court-ordered, some are there to make their family happy, some sent there by their employers, etc. I have found that very few are there to get and stay sober. At least, that's been my experiences.
Anyway, enjoy your IOP experience. I get a lot out of it.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Guys, all the folks that say they haven't met anyone who had a successful IOP experience, please think about what you are saying for a moment. WHERE have you been looking? I would think that an IOP facility, or an AA meeting, would be the last place I would ever find one of those. Even at a message board like SR, the odds are pretty danged slim. SoberJennie and MIR, thanks for your testimony of success.

I didn't attend an IOP program, but if I had and been successful, you would be more likely to find me in the cycling club or the cooking class or the library or the church choir, anyplace BUT at a gathering of those still looking for sobriety.

Hobbers, take as much as you can from your IOP, and use it to guarantee that you will be one of success stories. In the end it is all up to you. See you on yer bike!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I actually went through two IOPs. The first one was fantastic the problem was they wanted me to quit drinking forever and that was not on my agenda. The second one was OK but this time never drinking again was at least something I would consider.

I do know if it was not for both IOPs I doubt I would be sober today.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Freshstart, I went to the IOP as a final sort of action. It was after about 9 years of flirting around with "getting sober" or at least knowing I needed to quit drinking at some point. So I went in feeling as if I had a serious problem after all... more than the inkling that I'd be better off sober. I'd already been at the ER once, had a DUI (though it was seven years prior), been in fights with my husband, did and said things I regretted in blackouts. So for me, the decision to go to IOP came after my mother died of her addiction, and after I married a good guy who I didn't want to sabotage because of my addiction. I wanted to preserve what I did have and wanted to prevent things from spiraling out of control.

IOP was a positive experience for me because I made it that way. I went in with a hopeful attitude... I knew I made the right move, and followed through with the actions they suggested. I kicked arse Because I wanted to save my own.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am in my 7thish week of IOP, 2 more to go and I attend AA 3x/week. This is my second time in IOP. My first was 3 years ago after a work incident, where it was either get help or get fired. I completed the program, attended some AA, and stayed "sober" for 7mo with sparce relapses. I was miserable the whole time, then got hooked on NyQuil to sleep at night....so I never really was clean or sober. I went full blown 7mo after IOP ended.

This time around is different. I am truly clean and sober, I have better external support, and I'm generally happy. I almost died to get to today, but I know this time that I'm truly ready to be sober.

So, my rambling point is that some people do go through rehab multiple times and I've seen many patients relapse during IOP. IOP is there for us, but if you aren't ready to commit to yourself and sobriety, then all the IOP, AA, programs in the world will help you.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Molotov Kitty!

Well... after working with an individual therapist for about 5 months and attending my first IOP......

...if I was relying solely on this for my sobriety.... I'd be screwed.