Notices

How to deal with guilt / advice needed

Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

it's so cliché but time really does heal a lot. Sober time.
I'm at 100 days today (when did THAT happen) and when I look back at the last 3 months sometimes I'm still in shock b/c on one hand...it doesn't feel like THAT long ago (and really it wasn't...3 mths isn't a long time in the grand scheme of stuff)...but the amount of changes in that short period, I feel I've lived another life.

just keep doing the right thing. one day at a time. The guilt does subside slowly.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing Ardy. Thank you very much
Old 08-19-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just keep moving forward. And hang out here when you need to. We've all been where you are. Sending hugs.
Attached Images
Old 08-19-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It goes away once you put in some time and some work-- I promise.

I dealt with most of my guilt through AA and the 12 steps. Before trying the program, I tried to quit drinking countless times, and my guilt for what had happened in the past was always the first thing that drove me to drink.

For one of the steps, you make a list of all the people you harmed and make an amends to each one. Essentially you're approaching people, telling them what you feel you did wrong, and asking them what you can do to make it right. No matter what happens really, you're doing your part to make things right for them and to become a better person. It was the biggest relief of my guilt and shame for me in the 17 months that I've been sober.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
My specific question for those with some sobriety behind them is how did you deal with guilt.

I will give my personal example. Now that I have 5 days sober, I will just sit back in the yard and watch my kids play and I just get this overwhelming guilt of how I spent endless days and nights not being their for them because I was inebriated. The times how they asked me to play with them and I chose to drink rather than be a part of their activities. The guilt of this just eats at me.

How do you overcome these feelings. I know the tow the line phrase that "that was yesterday and today is today." But does anyone have personal experiences of how they were able to overcome these types of issues?

I have many areas of guilt but above was just one example. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Guilt always led me straight back to the bottle. I has to learn to move forward and dump the emotion. It was hard but really helped me to move forward xx
Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

I am alcoholic my mother was an alcoholic I went through some things

I saw my mother get sober a few times and each time she came back I was waiting my mum is my hero she was the best person in the whole world my mum was my best frend and im sure your kids feel this way

As for guilt iI guess her way of dealing with it was working and providing for me and my kid brother and always being there for advice a shoulder to cry on to laugh with and everything really I give you this from my soul this is all true

I lost my mum in 2009 and the void will never be filled she died sober and was sober for over 10 years amazing no ?

Point im trying to make don't waste time on guilt go and join in playing with them you will soon see you have ultra special superhero status your their mum

make up a brand new game with them

Hope this helps
Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Charlie please forgive my fau pax change the word mum with dad

See I'm always learning lol that story really reminded me of me and my mum

Sorry
Old 08-19-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The best thing you can do is stay sober and do the next right thing. If you are working a 12 step program listen to those who have wisdom to pass on. Early in my sobriety, I confided in someone a lot wiser than me, that feelings of guilt and shame were overwhelming. She told me that, someday I would be able to help someone else who is guilt ridden by sharing your experiences and strength. She was so right. When you work on getting better the people you love get better. Promise!