Notices

Feeling so low

Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling so low

Hi all. I stopped drinking 38 days ago and have overcome what I thought would be major hurdles in maintaining sobriety without too much trouble. Concerts, street fair, family dinner I should be happy I didn't partake, right? I just feel so numb right now that I don't even care about drinking. I manage to do what I must do. Work, take care of my kids and home maintain my workout routine, but other than that I don't care about doing anything else but lie on the couch or go to bed as quick as possible. I feel as if I'm less of a person now than before. I am wondering if my alcohol glaze was just covering up other mental issues? I've had bad anxiety in the past and been through an eating disorder around 20, depression soon after as well as postpartum after my first pregnancy. I thought all my issues were behind me. I have drank for most of my adult life. I guess I want to figure out if this is due to being sober or something else. I read everyone else's posts about feeling better, lapses and struggles.... and I'm just severely meh. Sorry for this whiney, all over the place post. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's fairly normal to feel Bleh in the early days, it's true, but that doesn't negate the fact that you COULD be dealing with a duel diagnosis. I'd see your doctor and get a referral for a physiatrist or at least some sort of counselor, if you don't have one already.

Hang in there!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you need to whine, your at the right place. I've been sober for a bit over 5 months. At times, I feel like crap! I get up, get on the computer--sign in--eat, get my son needs met (he is at that great age of 12) take care of the animals, take care of the house and start my day of nothing. I've been out of work for 3 months, divorced for 9 (dealing with the X) worries about bills, not knowing if I'm coming or going. Can't even see the end of my path. But, I have a path, or a small trial, and being able to continue on it Sober. That is enough for me at this time. I might be worried--sad and lonely , but I'm Sober. That is the most important thing to me. What ever helps you to get your needs met, you can figure it out. Your life (friends, family, coucelors) find them. Most important....find YOURSELF! YOU have the ability to reach any goal you set for yourself. YOU are in control of your destination.

I am a loner. I keep to myself. When I feel comfortable to invite others, I do.

Only one gets me laughing without even writing anything funny Sort of like the filling inside of a "ho-ho" lol
Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep your head up there pumpkinny!! One thing that has been helpful for me (when I am sober and happy) is understanding my life purpose. Things like family, faith (for those who choose that), health, work, personal development are my buckets in life, and drinking does not fit into any of those buckets. Perhaps if life overwhelms you, maybe your balance is focused on one area and is creating alot of unhappiness and stress.

I'm no doctor, just sharing what has worked for me though. You are going great, don't take your eye off the ball.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're feeling so down, and I hope your spirits are lifted and you find the joys of sobriety.
In my case, I was drinking to mask a psychiatric disorder. Many of us with such illnesses do drink and drug. I'm not saying that's what 's wrong with your feeling so down, but as Alphabet said it would be wise to see a doctor.
I hope your mood brightens soon.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Hang in there!!

From Living Sober;
This little book helps me a lot

...we should settle for small progress, rather than bemoan any lack of perfection.

In other words, GIVE YOURELF A BREAK!

I am at day 71 - each day seems to get a little better. Of course there are days where I feel like crap and wonder wth am I doing all this???

"Unless we cherish(ourselves) in our own recovery, we cannot survive to become unselfish, ethical, and socially responsible people".

This motivates me a lot. Also, daily reflection of how I felt yesterday - I don't keep a journal, but many others do. On my lousy days, I am able to reflect back - usually just the day before - and remember I felt much better.

If depression is more than just typical sobering up, please go see a qualified individual who is trained in recovery.

please hang in there for yourself, family and HOPE for all of us on SR!!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I don't know if it was covering up anything but that alcohol glaze was certainly keeping you from experiencing your real feelings. That's part of why I drank.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you start to feel better soon. Have you thought of adding new activities to your life in your recovery? Maybe you could find something to get involved in that you were passionate about.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there Pumpkin, we will get through the "meh". I haven't been feeling so fantastic myself, but I try to mush on. I'm sending good thoughts your way, with a smile

Bunnez
Old 08-19-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. Going to look for a new doctor and be honest about my history. Otherwise I'm just going to allow myself to be lazy around the house for the most part and try to do something I should enjoy every weekend.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by pumpkinny View Post
Work, take care of my kids and home maintain my workout routine, but other than that I don't care about doing anything else but lie on the couch or go to bed as quick as possible.
Honestly, for someone with 38 days sober, that sounds like a lot. I think you're doing great!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations on pushing through and remaining sober! New to me, too, and experiencing physical and emotional stuff that I never have before. It's scary, yet when I keep my thoughts on the numerous benefits of staying sober, it helps. Only been 26 days for me but I'm plugging along as best I can. Greatly helps me to talk through what I'm feeling but everyone is different as to what helps.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feeling that way is pretty normal. Don't forget most of us drank for years - 38 days is great but we don't recuperate body and mind that fast

see if this link rings any bells - if it does it has some helpful hints there

PAWS | Digital Dharma

D
Old 08-19-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ya, you're gonna feel 'meh' for a while. The sky is gonna seem a little duller and you may not laugh much but it's all part of the process. In the meantime, go easy on yourself, try to have patience, and stay the course. It gets better!