Notices

Finally doing it

Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We'll be here. If you feel a "screw up" brewing, come here and post. The moment will pass. In the beginning if I thought I wanted to drink I had to promise myself "I'll stay sober for the next hour" and eventually the hours added up to days and now months. So I'm in early recovery too.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

MissDee

It can be tough looking back and feeling guilty about what we may have said or done but nothing can change that. It's something I've been pushing myself to look toward, the future ya know? It can be all too easy to focus on the regret and lead right back where we have all been and know we can't afford to return.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Make it to Day 6, MissDee? You can do this! (and so can your hubby!)

I just hit Day 12, and it DOES get better. Heck, even (a little) easier!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

GOOD LUCK! You can do it!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Low

You mentioned you don't know anyone to watch the kids so you could get to a meeting possibly so as not to isolate....who watched them when you and your husband were going out to bars etc? Maybe they could help?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 7. Yesterday was tough but I really tried to keep myself busy, and surprisingly my husband helped me through the cravings! So I'm starting to really look forward to the future for once in I don't know how long. I forgot what it was like to be positive.

@Low I would have the older kids watch the younger ones when we would go out but that's not fair to them and I'm trying not to put that burden on them anymore. I'm trying to let them be kids and enjoy their lives without having that resposibility that's not supposed to be theirs. You know what I mean?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 7 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissDee View Post
I would have the older kids watch the younger ones when we would go out but that's not fair to them and I'm trying not to put that burden on them anymore. I'm trying to let them be kids and enjoy their lives without having that resposibility that's not supposed to be theirs. You know what I mean?
As the oldest of 4 I applaud you for allowing your kids to be kids. By the time I was 17 I had enough diaper changes, bottles, bed times, homework checks, etc it made me not want to have kids, ever. Now I'm 40, and my brother exclaimed "he burps for you!" regarding my new baby nephew, I responded, "well I burped you when you were a baby." He couldn't get over the fact that even though I don't have kids of my own that I could soothe his little one.

That being said, I think having the older ones watch the little ones for a couple of hours while you go to a meeting to work on getting sober, by contrast to using them so you could go to the bar, IS an acceptable alternative.

Just something to think about.