SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Another post - dentist (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/342465-another-post-dentist.html)

Sarah1975 08-19-2014 12:38 AM

Another post - dentist

Sorry for posting again.
All I seem to want these last few days is reassurance that im not alone with my worries, feeling and fears...

So here is another: I'm off to the dentist this morning. Embarrassed and ashamed of the many nights I passed out without brushing my teeth, worried my bleeding gums will give away my drinking habit to this professional stranger.

I know this isn't massive in the grand scheme of things, but it's another step, and I'm very conscious of the shop calling my name, tempting me to walk through the door and buy what I shouldn't.

neferkamichael 08-19-2014 12:44 AM

Sarah1975, posting is a good thing, and I assure you you're not alone with your worries, feelings, and fears, got a S-load of them myself. Rootin for ya. :egypt:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_ZeJBo0n_3...25282%2529.jpg

MelindaFlowers 08-19-2014 12:48 AM

Sarah,

I was always worried about people like dentists suspecting my drinking. Lots of people have bleeding gums and I'm sure you'll be fine. I wondered too about all the sugar I drank in the alcohol but my teeth turned out to be okay. I have developed a phobia of doctors after I received scary news regarding my drinking but I am also looking forward to going in the future and telling them honestly that I don't drink anymore.

The dentist sees all types of teeth in various conditions. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Dee74 08-19-2014 01:02 AM

Hi Sarah :)

I think dentists see a lot worse than bleeding gums, and from non alcoholics too...as for me, I had several abscesses and some pretty decayed teeth...no judgement was passed...

I'm sure you'll be fine :)

best wishes!
D

jezza 08-19-2014 03:01 AM

OH CRUMBS!!! That's something I have to face... Not good with Dentists at the best of times but want to get my Gnashers sorted.. Nothing too serious but can play a big part in confidence...

Meraviglioso 08-19-2014 03:11 AM

Don't worry Sarah, it is normal to feel nervous I think. Remember though, the dentist is just doing his or her job and they have seen it all- it is their work to deal with all kind of circumstances and conditions. Just think, if you weren't going there for your cleanings/issues they wouldn't have work so you are doing them a favor!

Kys 08-19-2014 06:17 AM

Not to this specific example but I can relate to concerns about similar things.

Thanks for posting this, and I'd try not to over think it. Dentists would see all kinds of stuff day in, day out I'm sure.

Charlie117926 08-19-2014 06:23 AM

Keep posting Sarah. It helps. I know from personal experience that this place understands. whether its victories, defeats or bleeding gums!!!

Hobbers 08-19-2014 07:25 AM

Mountain- Molehill. You'll be fine.

soberjuly 08-19-2014 08:11 AM

I think lots of people here have done the same. I certainly didn't brush my teeth when I passed out at night and I paid dearly for it. Just deal with the issues and move forward. Your dentist will take care of what needs to be taken care of and then you have a fresh start! You are not the first person to walk into a dental office feeling ashamed. They know that, they are there to help.

KateL 08-19-2014 03:49 PM

I hate the dentist and put it off for ages until a few months ago. It ended up going really well and I wondered what I had worried about in the first place :) xxx

Sarah1975 08-19-2014 03:52 PM

Gums a mess, teeth fine - go figure!

GotGrace 08-19-2014 03:57 PM

You did it! Congratulations!

FeenixxRising 08-19-2014 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sarah1975 (Post 4849115)
Gums a mess, teeth fine - go figure!

I'm glad your teeth are fine. Having cavities filled and root canals done is no fun. Did your dentist tell you to floss every day?