Notices

Nowhere else to turn

Old 08-18-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nowhere else to turn

Hello good people.

I don't even know what to say, I'm reaching out. I need help. I don't remember the past 3 days really. If I wasn't drunk I was sleeping and then probably still drunk when I woke up. I invited a strange man over, texted people things that I shouldn't have. Drove when I shouldn't have. Called off work today because I couldn't function when I woke up.

I'm so tired of living like this. I've looked up local meetings so many times and can't seem to actually go to one. Both my parents are alcoholics and one is in recovery so I know what I need to do. I've been drunk every day since 2007 and I'm scared. I've been researching detox etc.

Just need somewhere to start. Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

love to you all,
k
Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Christine. You have found a great community of those who understand here at SR. Sobriety is definitely an option for you, how can we help?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Youre story, my story. You can do this. Keep online. Keep posting, keep reading. Talk to your doctorif you can. You are not alone. Do this.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Christine

You are in great company. I am only 4 days sober but SR has been a wealth of knowledge and support. If you want to get sober. This place can help immensely. Post, posts more and read more. It works. Welcome!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Christine! When I quit I went all drastic and went into detox in hospital followed by sixteen days of in patient treatment. I don't think I would have stopped by going to meetings alone at that point. It can be done and many have done it but I'm not sure I would have gotten the same results. It was like a hard shutdown and reboot of a computer.

Good luck and hang in there. Come here for support.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's so hard but we are here and that's a good step. This is hard to control believe me.....I was sitting here going over my behavior on Saturday and trying to remember what I did or when I drove home. If I get one more DUI I'll lose everything it'll be my 3rd but I still take that one drink which leads to devastation. I'm scared too I've recently lost both my parents and two uncles all in 5 years to alcohol.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you to those who have kindly responded already. I spent 5 minutes trying to delete my post. Putting it out there is terrifying, even to strangers. I've told 3 people about my addiction but they really don't understand it. Even when I tell them on weekends I start drinking vodka at 8 am.

Enough of me boo-hooing. How will I know if I need a medical detox? Are there affordable options for that? I know in my heart I cannot stop alone.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know nothing about medical detox. I did it by myself. I am not a doctor so if you feel you need medical attention please seek it out. Glad you are apart of this community.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Last Wednesday I was determined to not have a drink. I got to 10:12 pm and was proud that I made it that far so I rewarded myself. I'm really sorry, this community seems like an amazing place for recovering folks. Not for those still in the struggle.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Make no mistake Christine. I'm in the struggle everyday. This site is dedicated to those in the midst of the battle for sobriety. I fight everyday and have had numerous day ones in starting over. You are in the right place my friend. Many are in recovery but more in SR are struggling just like you...including me.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Christine...Many of us are struggling, so you aren't alone here. I just relapsed about 3 weeks ago after many months of sobriety and am now back to 19 days without drinking. I struggle every day, but It feels so much better being sober again. You may want to make an appointment with your Dr. and explain your situation. Your Dr. could probably refer you to a detox center. You can do it Christine. We are all here to support you!