Notices

How did you get through your first month?

Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Lots of rest except for looking after and gently playing with the kids. xxx
Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

Thank you for responding, everybody. I am re-reading through all of your responses...
Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I pretty much locked myself in for the first month, went to work, came home, stayed close to SR and hung on to Sobriety, activities, people, life, it all went out the window, nothing was more important than making Sobriety work, I even left my bank cards at home everyday before leaving for work!!

Extreme measures, but it created a foundation to build on after a few months!!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I pretty much locked myself in for the first month, went to work, came home, stayed close to SR and hung on to Sobriety, activities, people, life, it all went out the window, nothing was more important than making Sobriety work, I even left my bank cards at home everyday before leaving for work!!

Extreme measures, but it created a foundation to build on after a few months!!
This is exactly what we have to do to get sober. We have to make it our number one priority. Nothing can get in the way of it. Not birthday parties, not the holidays, nothing. Great post Purpleknight!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Hi Lucretia!

My first day sober was July 26th. So not far off from you. So far, I have had it relatively easy with relaxing. I figured I deserved it because of all the heavy drinking and torture I put on myself. I've been treating myself kindly. The only thing I really did in that time was work on grad school applications, work out and eat healthy.

That being said, I think keeping the stress and anxiety was key in the first few weeks. I've seen my therapist twice in that time. I've been going to her for many years (although I finally fessed up to my terrible drinking habits just a short month ago). I love talking with her. She is very supportive and listens to what I have to say. She gives advice as well but never ever makes me feel defensive and belittled. She always cheers for me and applauds me for my accomplishments... Big or small. Just getting the feedback and recognition for my accomplishments keeps me focused and wanting to keep going on the right track.

You're therapist seems quite the opposite. Not acknowledging accomplishments and telling you that you NEED to do more. Also, the fact that she is saying you won't find anyone like her is not a good sign.

I feel like your therapist should give constructive criticism, all while helping you realize the root of your feelings. That's just my opinion.

Fortunately, my university has a hospital and a huge med school with it. I found my therapist and my psychiatrist there. (Although I did just need to switch psychiatrists because my original had to take a leave of absence. The new psychiatrist... She's a different story that I won't get into). My therapist is based out of a psychiatry branch of the hospital in the mood and anxiety section. They specialized in the mood and anxiety disorders. That being said, I think that's why my therapist is so helpful. I have some extreme anxiety and diagnosed bipolar.

In my opinion, I think it might be in your best interest to seek out a new therapist who makes you feel comfortable. Look in to therapists who deal with addiction and anxiety. Try to find a place that has a great reputation.

I don't know. Maybe my therapist and your therapist were schooled differently.

Just my two cents!!

Good luck! Stay strong!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

I wish I loved talking with my therapist, too. Well, I used to...but now that I think about it it was only about non-therapy things. Maybe she is stressed more than a therapist should be. That's the feeling I started to get, starting around last year. Do therapists have their own therapists? That's something I've always wondered. I think they all should. So stuff doesn't build up and they don't take it out on their clients (who are over-sensitive to begin with).