Notices

Went and got help this morning

Old 08-18-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went and got help this morning

Now appointments for the rest of the week, they wanted me to be in inpatient at the mental hospital, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. So now a bunch of appointments for the week ( outpatient) and then I have to check myself into detox/rehab for the weekend.

Its kind of lousy, but the local hospital only has limited medication appointments ( which is why they wanted me to be an in patient), so I guess the caseworker is going to put me down as an "emergency urgent" and said no matter what they will get me in before Friday.

I am happy I did this, and I am looking forward to getting out of the house and going to all these meetings for orientation for various resources.

Still contemplating inpatient the lady there was very forcible is saying, " if I could prove you were even the minutest threat to yourself I would have you committed, but I can't so I am going to let you do out patient, but really really really think about inpatient you are so far into the gray area, many would hold you anyways" SO I am going to heed her warning, but really am worried about that.

One of the classes they are putting me in is Cognitive Behavioral training for alcoholism, and I gotta get this appointment set today for rehab. The rehab center is only $35 and they waive it up front and bill later.

What I did learn today is that alcohol can cause psychosis is some people, so she said they have to eliminate that as a possibility first and that takes time. So I am adding that to my reasons why I will never drink again, alcohol can cause psychosis!

Stay safe and sober friends, I am so glad this community support me through all this, thanks every you guys/girls are awesome
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are getting help, TDG.

It's all going to work out for you - just be honest, open and willing.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds positive!!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on reaching out for help TDG.

Use this to get yourself better!

Best of luck
Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is an awesome opportunity to learn
some important knowledge about addiction
and it affects on you. What a GIFT, to be
able to get the help you are so desperately
fighting for.

A GIFT that will get you healthy and
happy in ur life and recovery to carry
with you each day you are sober.

Healthy in mind, body and soul.

A GIFT for yourself to not take lightly
but to be grateful for as you begin to
build a strong foundation in recovery
to live upon.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice work! You felt the fear-- and went through with your plan anyway. Absolutely fantastic.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice work! You felt the fear-- yet didn't let it deter you from your plan. Absolutely fantastic.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good luck TDG stay strong!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Speaking from experience TDG, you'll be amazed at how many of the mental issues clear up with a reduced alcohol intake.

Plus, you'll get some mental clarity to go deal with what's left over.

Good luck with your treatment.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so pleased that you went! love and luck for what comes next
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad to hear this. I hope you are successful in your treatments. I hope you do consider the inpatient if they feel it can help you. Be proud of taking action to help yourself!
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great to hear that you went to speak to someone, thumbs up

Drugs and alcohol can and do indeed cause psychosis (most of the people I supported on the wards were suffering with this). Certain individuals are more at risk than others. Since your family has a history of mental illness you're in the susceptible category.

I know it's scary, but after what we discussed yesterday, you would probably get a better level of support if you went down the inpatient route.

You'd be in a low stimulus environment so you can relax, the staff there could chat with you, get to know you and observe your behaviour (it's nothing intrusive, we just keep an eye out. We know what we're looking for), this info would then be passed from the psych nurses to your doctor. All this info would then go towards getting you the correct evaluation, medication and therapy etc. It would also mean you getting help quicker. The more info they have the better they can help you.

Bare these things in mind when deciding on the best course of action, but more importantly: do what fells right for you.

Stay safe, take care
Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Rooting for you! Keep trucking!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey TDG- I've been following your threads for a bit. I reckon you're doing incredibly well :=] I've got my fair share of psych issues: for me even starting to confront them (confront?) was incredibly scary. Slowly but surely I'm seeing how worth it is- I'm way less afraid of myself, I'm way more cooler with me being me just the weird way I am, if that makes sense. Stay well and I hope this week is as good as it can get :=]

Last edited by andyroo72; 08-18-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Does my heart good to read all that you are doing for yourself right now TDG. So very glad you are keeping us in the loop. Keep on keepin' on my friend. This is all sounding like the right things.