Notices

Dual addiction/sponsorship

Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dual addiction/sponsorship

I am just a month and a half sober -- after many false starts, I (pray to God) I hit my bottom and I want this for myself. I believe I am an alcoholic. Since July 2nd, I've been to meetings daily and I asked a lady I've known around the rooms to be my sponsor on day one.

My problem is that even though I'm "sober", I'm not sober, because for the past month and a half I've been using other things. Mostly food, but also shopping. My sponsor knows this and tells me to not be too hard on myself, that alcohol is priority number one and everything else will come. I agree that alcohol is number one but don't trust everything else will magically fall into place. Food was my firt addiction, I'm a recovering bulimic and get outside help for that.. but I need more help for it. And I know holding onto these things in the past walked me out the door of my program for my alcoholism.

Should I find a sponsor online? Is there even such a thing? Should I look for someone who's an alcoholic and FA? Or is it just me? I like my sponsor, I really do. I just.. I really want this and I think I may need help she isn't able to provide me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Lyricchi, I think 1 thing at a time is probably a good way forward, no point in focusing on too much and then your Sobriety is affected!!

I would imagine it's probably tough to get a Sponsor to cover everything, so rather than getting rid of someone who is helping with your alcoholism, maybe look to add additional support to your existing support structure!!

I'm sure others will have more advice!!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Food was my first addiction and when I quit I mentioned this to my sponsor and that I was struggling since quitting, she told me to buy bigger pants. Lol it is very hard to explain to someone who doesn't have a problem that the same insanity you feel from drinking is the same insanity you feel (if not more) when you're eating is off.

There is an online FAA and you could get a sponsor for that... I would tell your current sponsor and of your history. I tried to work AA and GSA together and found it was too overwhelming. I worked on AA and see a doctor for my food issues.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyricchi View Post

My problem is that even though I'm "sober", I'm not sober, because for the past month and a half I've been using other things. Mostly food, but also shopping.

My sponsor knows this and tells me to not be too hard on myself, that alcohol is priority number one and everything else will come.

Food was my firt addiction, I'm a recovering bulimic and get outside help for that
in most cases your Sponsor seems to be right
but -- you have an added issue that can cause much sever damage to yourself
your Sponsor probably does not understand this one
keep this Sponsor who seems to care for and help you
plus -- search out someone else to support you with your bulimic problem

you may also ask of this Lady
to read up regarding bulimic
so that she may understand the severity of this disorder
with some study she also may be able to help you with this ??

MM
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think everybody has many addictions, on a spectrum of a kind. Mine goes Alcohol, smoking , caffeine, sex, food then moves on to lesser things- video games etc etc. Addiction is pretty much compulsive desire, so the way I try to think about it is when I take away alcohol and smoking there is a gap in the things I desire and if I don't fill it with something else, I'll crave.

So my advice is to find other things you love to fill that gap. Finding out what those things are may take a little trial and error.