Notices

What is the hardest time frame?

Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the hardest time frame?

I am on day 6, a week tomorrow, I didn't drink today!!! (and I had a pretty stressful day). I really struggled with day 4 and 5, but honestly today, even though it was stressful, wasn't that hard. Maybe things are turning around? I've heard the first week to 10 days is the hardest......what was your experience? Oh and certainly not to say I'll never have another craving again
Old 08-17-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I think the first 6 months are the hardest. After that, you know you can do it and know how to handle the cravings that will appear, but they'll become less and less as you deny them. It takes time for our brain to recover from years of abuse.

I remember being very foggy headed for a couple of months. I was very emotional the first month, too. I would cry about anything and everything.

It does get better. Congratulations on your 6 days! That's awesome!
Old 08-17-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One day at a time.

Having said that, I think that the main thing to be concerned about is improvement not perfection. Did you drink less today than yesterday? Less this month than last month? Less this year than last year? Then congratulations, you're going in the right direction. Keep doing whatever you're doing and you'll be safe and healthy.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the physical dependency is the worst to get over.
Then head games with the addictive voice after that can be managed.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I couldn't get to a month in 3 months of trying I kept saying if I can get to a month I can do it I finally got that month after trying for 3 and I'm now at 13mnths

I compared it to tom hanks in cast away when he was on that island trying to get off and when he does he is a completely different person

WILSON!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by RedheadJen View Post
I am on day 6, a week tomorrow, I didn't drink today!!! (and I had a pretty stressful day). I really struggled with day 4 and 5, but honestly today, even though it was stressful, wasn't that hard. Maybe things are turning around? I've heard the first week to 10 days is the hardest......what was your experience? Oh and certainly not to say I'll never have another craving again
I am just over day 17 and up to day 13 was horrendous for me! It's like suddenly on day 14, something clicked! I haven't felt a real craving since then. I went 9 weeks sober before, but always craved! I now feel different. I don't feel i am missing anything anymore!
Old 08-17-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
waking down

First ten days were definitely rough. Then I thought I was doing fine when somewhere between three and four months I had a torturous couple of weeks. Once I wrapped my head around the idea of spring and summer without beer things have gone pretty smoothly as far as alcohol is concerned. Almost eight months in I have no cravings for the drug or the lifestyle. I'm prepared for that to change but I don't think it's gonna.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
I don't feel i am missing anything anymore!
Exactly, and you're really not. In fact, those who drink too much are missing so much more than those who don't drink at all.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The challenges I think become different at different periods, the first few weeks for me were all about surviving the withdrawals, after that my mind played games with ideas of "1 drink won't hurt", and then after that realising Sobriety was much more than simply not drinking, carving out a new life for myself was then the goal!!

The learning curve is steep, but well worth it!!