Notices

the kitchen sink

Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up the kitchen sink

Somehow I have just managed to clean my kitchen sink, which had been neglected for an unknown number of years.

The AHKV* must have been dozing at the time. [*Anti-HouseKeeping Voice]

I reminded myself that "the perfect is the enemy of the good" so just aimed at making a pretty good first pass for now.

Threw out a few items that could not be salvaged. Put aside some other artefacts to deal with later (or maybe they are just staged for later disposal).

It's a stainless steel sink, so luckily I checked the labels of various cleaners before settling on one that would not corrode it. It turned out that I had a full bottle of orange-oil based cleaner that I had bought sometime in the past few years, and it was great for the job.

A relief to see that there are no pits or rust holes in the bottom from pots sitting there against the steel.

So now I have a small but significant accomplishment that I will see often and a frequently used area of the house that I can be happy about.

Passing this along in case it might inspire or encourage someone else.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do stuff like this, too. Something that is bugging me like a messy closet, or a stack of papers that need attention, . . . there's just something about tackling a nagging chore that feels good.

Some days I will set aside time to just write to folks I haven't communicated with in a while. THAT feels good and is important.

Yep, self care (and that includes our living environment) is vitally important.

Nice job, Forgetful. And congrats on the gleaming sink.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The little things are fantastic in Sobriety!!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey FK - cleaning has been important for me in the last months. More than it has ever been, actually. The effort offers a visual reward and sense of accomplishment. Like, "clean the toilet and be rewarded with a 'fresh bowl'"

When I am done working, I shall clean something and feel good. Thanks for the reminder! Enjoy your sink

Old 08-17-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are some great websites that offer wonderful suggestions for cleaning. I think the fly-lady does a whole chapter on shiny sinks and toilets. I have a stainless D shaped sink and use "bar-keepers friend scouring powder" and Clorox clean-up on everything porcelain. I keep old tooth brushes to scrub grout.

my favorite humor cleaning site is called " Un-F*** Your Habitat"
Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Steel wool pads work well

I know what you mean. I am finally getting around to painting a fence that I purchased the paint for around 6 years ago. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
my favorite humor cleaning site is called " Un-F*** Your Habitat"
OMG. Just checked this out. Hil-ar-i-ous!!! Thanks for this Fandy. Now bookmarked.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Good stuff.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForgetfulKevin View Post
The AHKV* must have been dozing at the time. [*Anti-HouseKeeping Voice]
I have one of those too!!!!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome job!

"Procrastination is opportunity's assassin."
Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Great post, Kevin I find cleaning always lifts my mood - though it takes a great deal of arguing with my AHKV to get started!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

Great post
Funny just heard a similar thing on the radio recently. Without too much rambling, it was about military training and how making up the bed shipshape can help attitudes for SEALS. It is the first task of the day, done well, and even if the other challenges of the day don't work, go fubar, at least you have a nice rack to crawl into and a reminder that you Can do something right, make your bed, it could make your day
Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Also cleaning today! It seems to be good for the soul..... Bar Keeper's Friend is the BEST. OMG, well, that's ironic, isn't it?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Feels good to get that done, doesn't it?

Keeping my house clean and organized is probably the only thing I did not neglect during my drinking years, and likely one of the only things that kept me from losing my mind. I can't tolerate clutter, chaos, and filth. I didn't get much else done beyond basic necessities when I drank, but I can say I kept a clean house.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
The little things are fantastic in Sobriety!!
I really am noticing this! Things I thought I would just leave as I couldn't be bothered, or I didn't notice are bugging me! Being sober is awesome!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I relate, Kevin. I had a horrible, unbelievable tendency for neglecting even the most basic needs during my darkest times with drinking and depression. I will rather not attempt to provide graphic examples. I tried to manage this by having cleaners, but at times I would even fire the cleaners so that no one would disturb my drinking and see the insane minimalistic conditions I was living in. And none of this were due to financial concerns, it was how very low level of mental health manifested itself for me.

Yes it feels so good taking care of myself and my environment now, but it took me a while to be back into this in very early sobriety. Interesting, because when I am emotionally healthier, I tend to be one of the most organized persons you could meet and I do care what's around me. I really hope I will never fall back into those habits I had at my worst...

Putting things back in order is so rewarding, good for you!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Took a nap after lunch. Went to the kitchen to get some root beer. Turned around to rinse out a cup and the surprise was almost disorienting.

There was that clean, simplified area that hadn't been there before.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Holy Heck! Now I've gone and cleaned the stovetop as well, and all the items thereon.

Completely did not see that coming.

What is happening to me?!!!