Notices

Failed on day 3 - maybe I can't do this?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's evening now, but the local shops are shut - i haven't had any today! Head banging though, jumpy as hell & a very unhappy tum...
Normal?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sarah! I too, was a 2-3 bottle-a-day girl, and stopping is the best thing I could do for myself. If I can, you can. Stay strong, change your routine, eat well, get plenty of rest and each day you don't drink is another day closer to feeling great. This is a wonderful place for support and advice, use it to the fullest.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Failed on day 3...

No one posting here about a desire to be sober is failing. We are either succeeding or learning.

You can do this.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hiya Sarah,

Welcome to SR. I hope you're doing okay?

My habits are quite similar to yours, I'm also fully functioning and have ways of lessening hangovers/ coping so that people don't cotton on. The amount I drink depends on whether I'm spending lots of time alone/ indoors away from others etc but I usually like to drink on a nightly basis.

Like you, I randomly decided to quit on the 14th and then crashed on day 3 too. Drank a bottle of wine last night. Meh. Back to day one now. I'm living. I'm learning. I'm sure you are too

I've been trying by myself to cut down for years without support. I've made some headway over the years, but not much. I can't recommend this method. Isolation and loneliness are triggers for lots of recovering drinkers.

I find the chat rooms reallllly helpful. Even though you're not face to face, getting support and advice from people here feels really great. I made the mistake of not reaching out for help on day 3 and spoke about it on the rooms this morning. I felt shy and didn't want to bother everyone with my BS. The people on the chat rooms said it's fine to talk about your stuff, and that they do the same.

I've now got a plan to vent and reach out for support and encouragement when I next start craving. Maybe you should do the same...

Right now I'm sober when normally I'm swaying. And I'm not feeling pissed off about it. That's a first for me. I'm going to put it down to the support I've received here, as nothing else has changed.

Also, check out AVRT- it helps to explain why you obsess over drinking and suggests ways of countering your inner-demon's arguments on why you should be downing booze.

I wish you all the best on your journey. Maybe see you in chat sometime

Peace
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Sarah, welcome to our forum. It's been a great help here for me I hope it can help you, too. I've not been to any aa meetings but reading others posts it seems it can help you along, also. All the best. Stick with it, it's well worth the effort.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was more of a week to 10 day relapse. I had plenty of those and some doubts as to whether I could quit. But I did and so can you, please don't ever believe otherwise.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What works for me is making vows. Such as "I hereby accept upon myself that if any time later this week or next week I knowingly and deliberately consume any beverage or food containing alcohol I will be required to fast 1 day."

Has anyone else ever done this? It's kept me from going beyond being what's medically considered to be an early stage alcoholic, meaning that I sometimes get drunk however I have never suffered any legal, financial or health consequences.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sarah, I think it can be overwhelming when we realize that is going to be really hard. For me, it's the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. But, as most of us here will tell you, it's so worth it.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Keep going you can do this!