Notices

Sobriety

Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety

I think I have been refusing for some time to admit to what is the truth- I have a definite problem with alcohol. Of course I wasn't willing to admit it to myself for a very long time. It was scary to think that things had gotten this far out of hand. I spent the night in jail and came home and all I can think to myself is how did things go so wrong?

I started reading through the forums and I realized it was better for me to take this mistake and learn from it. I can honestly say that one of the first things on my mind once being bailed out was to drink again, and this made me feel awful.

My family has a history of alcoholism on both sides. It's something I chose to ignore. My best friend is now a quad because of a night he had too much to drink. He could have died. I could have killed someone.

I really wasn't sure if I should start a new thread. I am very apprehensive about moving forward but I knew that unless I tried to reach out to this community I may have continued to rationalize my problem. It hasn't been a full day yet but all I know is that I need those drinks that I had to be the last.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you started a new thread LastMistake - it's the best way to get feedback

This place, and the people in it, helped me turn my life around. I know we can help you do the same.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-16-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome here LastMistake...you are not alone in this experience.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. It is very reassuring to realize that so many others have had these trials and have moved past it to better things.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You really are doing the right thing
Old 08-16-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR
Old 08-16-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Sounds like you have a good start. I don't know how much you were drinking but he withdrawls from alcohol can be quite severe. Seek help if you need to to. See a doctor about the withdrawls and/or go the ER if you need to.

Good you found this site. You may also wish to attend some AA meetings for some face to face support from like minded folks. Put your all into it.

It's worth it.

All the best to you.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome to the forum
Finding this site was a godsend for me, and that's coming from an atheist.
On my first day reading through all the forums and threads , I was introduced to terms such RR and AVRT, kindling, addiction ambivalence. Researching those gave me a very different perspective on what I was dealing with and some great insights on what to do.
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

awuh1-

It's a bit hard for me to differentiate between what would be withdrawals and what is just panic and anxiety. I have no appetite, sleep seems impossible. Chills a bit. I've been trying to stay hydrated. I couldn't tell you how much I drank. 10 drinks maybe? All I wanted was some hot fries... I know the process will be long but like I said I know that this is my opportunity to really do something about my problem. It sucks that it took this but it could have been far worse.

Obviously drinking was something I did to cope with anxiety and stress before, but now I see how this got me into my current situation. I know it's going to take me learning new strategies and finding healthy ways to cope with my feelings but having been about a full 24 hrs from my last drink those things all seem like wonderfully lofty ideas that are out of reach.

Just trying to stay calm. Luckily I have a cat. Hoping for some sleep. Know I need to eat.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

welcome- it is our mistakes that teach us what we need to learn
Old 08-17-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I remember the detoxes. They were miserable. I did it countless times. Let this be the last one you ever go through. Do it SAFELY.

It's really a good time to go to an AA meeting too. If you share your circumstances the people there will know what you are going through . They can provide a lot of support. They have all been where you are now.

Hope you are able to get a little rest.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i remember only to well waking up in the police cells, wishing with all my heart IF ONLY I DIDNT GET DRUNK LAST NIGHT,

i had many more times in my life where i had wished with all my heart i never got drunk last night

still i would let the dust settle down and try to give up drink only to find i would try to drink differently next time

if i drank half pints that should keep me sober, if i only drank later on at night i should stay sober, if i drank weak drinks that should keep me sober,
nothing worked as i would always end up getting drunk and then it was in the lap of the gods as to how or were i would wake up the next day

in the end i chased drink all the way down not only was i getting arrested more and i even went to prison 3 times as the police and courts got fed up with me and my drunken ways
i was of course always sorry and promised i would never do it again and i would mean it at the time

like i said in the end i chased drink all the way down, i lost my family, my money, my business and the more i lost the more i needed drink to help me cope with it all, i ended up drinking 24 / 7 just like people told me i would end up if i carried on

i only wish the first time i woke up in a police cell i would of got the help i needed and would of given up the drink, as i would of avoided so much pain and misery in my life if i had
so use this experience you have just had and make it count for you changing your life around.
or carry on drinking and see how long it will be till you next wake up in a cell ? as from my experience it will only get worse and worse if i carried on drinking
good luck to you
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. You’re in a good place to start to learn about our ailment. When my inner pain became intense I went to AA where other people were that understood the newcomers and old timers.
The first requirement is to be honest with OURSELF about our drinking then to accept the fact we cannot drink alcohol in safety no matter what the devil within tells us.
To get and stay sober is worthwhile work. There’s a good feeling about growing up.

BE WELL
Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum LastMistake!!

Post as many threads as you need, SR is a fantastic place for support!!