Notices

Advice please

Old 08-16-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice please

I went to my first AA meeting tonight and I'm feeling kind of despondent. Was very reassuring and comfortable to be surrounded by people like me, and who understand and don't judge but I didn't really get the actual meeting itself. It's difficult to explain and I totally get the 'sharing our stories' but how does that help me? I don't mean that to sound harsh as it helps me a lot to hear that there are others in the same boat but is that it? I wanted to ask questions but it wasn't like that just silences until someone else shared their story. Are there meetings where you can communicate with each other? I think I must be missing something as so many people swear by AA meetings. I did meet lots of lovely people though.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Meetings are helpful. It helped me slow down for an hour, not speak, learn to listen to differing opinions.

The before-meetings and after-meetings are also a good time to ask questions. Call people from your phone list if you have questions between meetings. You can ask a question during your "time" if you want. I've done that. Do you have a Big Book?

Is there a question you have right now? Lots of people here with quality recovery. You'll get all kinds of opinions
Old 08-16-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Just try to trust the process. Lots of folks have been helped by AA. Nobody understands exactly how this happens after attending only one meeting.

You might consider sharing your questions early in the next meeting you attend. I'm sure you will find many people wanting to help. There is a 12 step forum here also. You might find some answers there.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I suppose I have to just keep giving it a go. Felt quite emotional though is that normal?
Old 08-16-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In AA you share your experience, strength and hope. There is no cross talk which helps prevent incorrect advice and/or upsetting person sharing.

It is completely different here on SR where people often give advice and strongly opinionated crosstalk.

As a very sensitive person I take comfort in the no cross talk rule of AA. Like Bimini said, you can always have a discussion with members before or after meetings or get coffee and have actual conversations.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissAliceMay View Post
Thanks guys I suppose I have to just keep giving it a go. Felt quite emotional though is that normal?
Very normal, especially early on in recovery!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is very emotional anyway - add in meetings which by their very nature force us to look at ourselves - and yeah, it's normal to feel emotional.

I felt a lot of love and compassion at my first meeting. Maybe that's part of it?

Coming off alcohol is an intense emotional roller-coaster. Call someone when it becomes overwhelming. AA people want to hear from you!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AA isn't for everyone. I tried a few groups but was never able to buy into it. Instead, I sought out a therapist to help me get down to the root of the problems that fed into my alcoholism. 1 hour a week of psychotherapy has been very beneficial because I really need the feedback that you won't get at AA. That's one option for you to consider.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try a book study or 12 step study meeting. More on the program of recovery and less on everybody's war stories.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thing is when everyone was sharing their experiences it was like now that they are not drinking etc etc but I felt like an imposter as I've not been sober for long. I didn't feel that anything I would say would be positive at all. Do people talk about falling off the wagon or how they feel ****? or is it usually just success stories?
Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thing is when everyone was sharing their experiences it was like now that they are not drinking etc etc but I felt like an imposter as I've not been sober for long. I didn't feel that anything I would say would be positive at all. Do people talk about falling off the wagon or how they feel ****? or is it usually just success stories?
and Wastinglife you've def given me something to think about. I do need feedback. I am very grateful for this site and the nice people I met at AA tonight. I suppose I just want this to be easy but I suppose I have to accept it's not going to be.