Notices

Please help me get through today

Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Only now am I starting to realise the power of reaching out and that I've been doing it all wrong until now.
When things are going well I'm fine with logging in to SR and going to AA/after care meetings. But when things are tough I have a tendency to go into a self-protect bubble. The thought of going to meetings becomes a real chore and if I go at all its very reluctantly and generally wont share my real feelings. I don't know why I find it so difficult - embarrassment, pride, just not sure but its something I want to work on. I guess for most of my life I drank to oblivion in response to the least sign of stress - thats just not a viable option any more.

This reaching out business really does work. The relief I have at getting through yesterday is just incredible!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

dwtbd
don't
want
to
be
drunk
When I picked a screenname , I thought it would help with reinforcement, I use it interchangably as a declarative and imperative statement
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great stuff Mac!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nice one - I was wondering what the letters stood for
Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Mac it can definitely be hard to reach out to others when we feel all of the guilt and remorse over what we have been doing. I'm glad your having luck bursting that self-protective bubble!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
learning to live

Yay Mac

A friend in need is a friend indeed

Enjoy your nonhungover Sunday .... you are much wiser and stronger after yesterday

We're all in this together !!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac1 View Post
Only now am I starting to realise the power of reaching out and that I've been doing it all wrong until now.

I don't know why I find it so difficult - embarrassment, pride, just not sure but its something I want to work on. I guess for most of my life I drank to oblivion in response to the least sign of stress - thats just not a viable option any more.
ME TOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Good job getting through yesterday. I was in the same boat. This place helped me too. So grateful!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You are getting there Mac! It's 2pm where I am. I play an everlasting game of ping pong in my head, it was so exhausting for so long. The game is slower and a little less frequent the further I go, but always there. When I get cravings, I imagine how great the first one would be, then how horrible the 8th or 9th would be (I was a wino!) and especially how harsh the morning would be.....physically and emotionally and boy would I shudder. Hang in there! Everyone gets what you're going through and can help!