Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 2

Old 08-16-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey all. Day 14. Checking in. Hope everyone is doing OK.

This is a danger day for me, Saturday all alone. AV tells me withdrawal wasn't that bad...it's so cunning. Just read back through my hour by hour withdrawal diary I made. Horrific story reading back.

Fighting back big time. I am out and about in Central London, planned three AA meetings today. One down. Early days and I need them. I met my sponsor and started looking at Step 4 work.

AV is alive and kicking today. I need to change my soft drinks. I had some cheap supermarket cola earlier which set off a trigger of cheap supermarket vodka being added to the glass. I could almost taste it. Surfed that one out and told the AV to Foxtrot Oscar.

Will check in later. I need SR support today. Here's to a lovely sober weekend to you all classmates.

#TeamAugust
Old 08-16-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Funtimefranky View Post
Just checking in. Day 14 here. Hope everyone is having a happy sober weekend.
Hey FTF! Great to 'see' you. So pleased we are both at 14 days. Let's keep going. Keep thinking back to those horrible withdrawals we were both posting at silly hours of the night. We never have to go back there.

Hope all is good and your recovery is continuing well :-)
Old 08-16-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Well off to the AA meeting soon, feeling exhausted and full of fear and anxiety but know I need to get back the support I so dearly need, once Ive been back to one Il feel back to being part of it again- still nervous though!!!!
Rooting for you! I myself need to find a local meeting where I can plug in ontop of posting here.
Your openness is admirable! You can do it!
Husbands bday wknd. Family n friends gathering tonight but I'm NOT drinking!
Day 14!
Old 08-16-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Cant sleep and its 1.22am here, dedicated to getting to AA meeting in morning but scared, I know I look terrible, grown a beard, red eyes etc etc. Hoping I haven't gone too far to come back, feel like isolating...
Hey. I just wanted to add my experience from last week. I went to a meeting on day 2. Looking the same as you but add shaking, sweating and in severe withdrawal.

I got nothing but support and concern. I was so embarrassed and ashamed about going back but I was told well done for doing so. One guy said AA never shoot their own which was powerful. I needed to feel some hope from alcoholics even in withdrawal, the only people who could understand. I returned to the meeting a week later and three members told me I had helped THEM seeing a newcomer looking like that.

Hope this might help you decide on your plan :-)
Old 08-16-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sage22 View Post
Family n friends gathering tonight but I'm NOT drinking!
Day 14!
Right there with you on Day 14. Lovely work! Stay strong at the gathering and stay away from that first one.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks sthlondonab!
I've noticed I get tired alot earlier in the night even at social event, so I'm not as lively and entertaining. But I tell myself "I dont have to be Ms personality" I just need to be sober.
Plus getting home and in bed at a decent hour is nice.
Yay day 14!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries restless

congratulations to all you guys hitting milestones, no matter what day it is

D
Old 08-16-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maggie, stick to it! Chances are they will get too drunk to keep pushing you. The more intoxicated they get the more you will see why you don't want that anymore! I definitely don't envy you though! I'm in the clear for social drinking engagements until the holidays. Wouldn't that be something? 3 months from now still sober. I like the sound of that.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm headed to work in an hour and will be there pretty much all day. $$$ Hello day 4 also 4 days without smoking.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 9 and happy to report I had a full night's sleep finally at about 11 hours. I woke up exhausted but that is ok - its my clock re-adjusting! Very happy. I guess the swimming is paying off BTW - Swimming is really helping me this time. It honestly lifts my mood and makes me feel amazing. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience but it has been so good for me!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good Morning-I'm on day 8-no-day 9 if I count using my fingers

Sonrisa12, I've been biking, walking and hiking and I agree-it's really helping my mood and evening out my energy levels all things considered.

I've been sleeping like a rock for a few days and couldn't wake up on time, but if my body wants to heal I'm not gonna complain. This morning was the first morning I awoke and felt right.

I reached out and joined a women's health group last night. We are making healthy goals and provide accountability and support. It's not the place to discuss addiction, but it's a great way to move forward and build a bridge to becoming a good friend to myself. My health goals for this month (besides never taking another sip of alcohol) is to take a vitamin every single day, keep up my training for nordic skiing this winter, and find 10 new beautiful vistas to photograph while hiking.

But here is a great place to discuss addiction! Great job, everyone, on making the decision to stop drinking!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You all inspire me. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello team August. I'm here, but sad to tell you I'm back at day one. I didn't even think before I picked up that first drink. I'm so disgusted with myself, and so disappointed. The scary thing is I didn't even care last night. But deep down I do, so I'm getting on with my plan. I truly hope everyone else is doing great. I hate this disease so much. I have a huge family event today, and so wish I wasn't hung over. No worries about any drinking there though, TG. Stay strong and sober all. Believe me, last night was not worth it. I wish it would have turned out different, and I hadn't picked up.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

dingodog, I'm glad you are right back here. You can beat this, stick close to us. Come post before that first drink.

I never think just one drink, I know that I'd better have a case of beer in the house. Kinda scary. I don't know if I'm glad my mind doesn't flirt with just having one, or horrified that I always plan to drink a bunch if I'm going to. I'm not going to dwell on that because I DON'T drink. Never. Ever. Again. And today I am good with that. I'll tackle tomorrow, tomorrow.

So glad to see so many of us #teamaugust checking in this morning. Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 6! Most consecutive days sober I've had in months! My sleep is still off but trying to be patient with my body...I know it's healing because I'm having vivid dreams and even though I'm sleeping late I wake up feeling rested and refreshed.

I posted yesterday about being afraid to leave the house...even though I have absolutely no desire to drink...I just want to protect my sobriety. I finally decided I might be so bored it would trigger me so I went for a 3 hour bike ride, stopped at the beach for a Subway picnic lunch with water. Water tastes so good now. Then rode to our beautiful botanic gardens and biked and hiked there for 2 hours. I will try to post pics later. i used to drink there occasionally (they serve it) so was nervous but I forced myself to hike before eating and then ordered yummy grilled salmon with veggie slaw and honest tea. It was so delicious and I felt so good about myself and how good I was to my body. Then I got a text from an old AA friend saying he was so proud of me. That and SR have strengthened my resolve to not drink.

I've had hundreds of day 1's and 1-2 weeks of sobriety but honestly this time feels different. It's exciting and honestly a little scary knowing this might be the time that it sticks. When I think of holding onto this for years I get overwhelmed tho so just for today I am not drinking, because I don't drink.

Congrats on all the milestones and if you fell just get back up make a change and start over again...

#TeamAugust
Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

So far weekend is fantastic! Took the S.O's boys to watch her run her 48 hour relay marathon, going to go to the finish line later so they can be there to see mom cross the line. Not a thought of pouring a drink. Finally got a good nights sleep last night, no sweats or bad dreams! Starting to make a lot of plans for things to do with down time: dance classes, yoga, hanging out with old friends. To be honest I cannot wait until I am around people that are socially drinking. I like to show the strengths and resilience about me so it will be a huge milestone to look at them all and say "no, i don't want to drink." Nothing better than knowing you can go right into the lions den and not get eaten!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the support friends, went to meeting and it was a small one so not really daunting, heard a great first share though that inspired me, although I didn't share or mix much was glad to have beaten my pride and fears today and have arranged to meet up with my sponsor tomorrow morning in another meeting.

Going to chill out tonight and have already cleared the empties from around the house- yuck it made me heave! Have bought some milk thistle tablets from health store and Carrot, pineapple and mango juice from the supermarket I normally buy my booze from the checkout people certainly don't know what to make of me! Just going to treat my body and mind as well as I can now- think they deserve that!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You sound great 1step! Keep it up!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post
Checking in on Day 19. Been up and down last few days. Before I got my blood tests I thought maybe I could one day be a social drinker. But now I know I can't take that risk. My resolve is stronger than ever not to drink now. If I take care of by body, hopefully my levels will come down and no major damage is done.

MaggieLou wishing you the best and hope you stay strong. 1stepup you've done it before and you can do it again we're rooting for you!
I'm terrified of having tests done but it's something I have to do, I know. I dare not drink, I want to be healthy and hopefully repair the damage done. Congrats on day 19. Every day in every way you are getting stronger. Can't remember who said this (Susan Jeffers?) but it's kind of my daily mantra, all the best, keep up the good work. x
Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hey FTF! Great to 'see' you. So pleased we are both at 14 days. Let's keep going. Keep thinking back to those horrible withdrawals we were both posting at silly hours of the night. We never have to go back there.

Hope all is good and your recovery is continuing well :-)
Hey there friend, yes I'm still here. You are often in my thoughts bc we stopped on the same day and looked out for each other on here. I'm so focussed on healing it puts me off drinking but I still need to be on guard. I do have an issue with Xmas... I think I can have some Champagne with lunch and an Irish coffee in the evening, I've even squared it with the family. For now I need only focus on today but I will need to address this problem at some point. Thanks to LonelyShadow for advice on this issue. Anyway, I'm pleased we both made it this far, it's a sad truth that many do not. Let's get a month under our belts, I'll be with you all the way. Take care and well done. x