Notices

How can I help my girlfriend?

Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How can I help my girlfriend?

I divorced a couple of years ago and I have since my divorce become very close to a woman whom I have known for several years. About a year ago she and her husband seperated.

We are very deeply in love. She is a wonderful woman. I dream of a life with her.

The big problem: She is a late stage alcoholic. She probably consumes about a fifth of vodka a day on most days although sometimes she takes a break for a few weeks. I myself have a problem with drinking as well, although much milder. I may get drunk once every few months on the average.

She will not attend AA. She is an outspoken, close minded agnostic who detests AA. I personally have no problem with AA or organized religion.

What can I do? She is only 33 (I'm 54) but she is just killing herself. And she knows it. But she doesn't care.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

Are you near New York City? There are agnostic AA meetings. If she wants to get sober and have a life with you, she needs to do whatever it takes to quit drinking.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She is in Eugene, Oregon. And do those agnostic meetings work?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ilovedrunkgirl View Post
The big problem: She is a late stage alcoholic. She probably consumes about a fifth of vodka a day on most days
This must cause you tremendous pain. If you were to write her a love letter, what would it say? Could you count all the ways you love her? What specific things, actions, qualities, attributes, kindnessess, quirks etc?

Why do you love her? What can you tell us about her other than she is a late stage alcoholic? What are her passions, interests, hobbies, likes, dislikes, values, personal politics?

What makes her heart swoon? What (other than AA) does she despise? What gets her all fired up? What makes her sad?

What are some of the things she does for you that makes you happy?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your issue.
The only meetings that work are the one the person wants to work. All the meetings in the world will not accomplish a thing unless a person truly wants to be sober.
Getting someone to meetings would be a great idea. It can plant a seed in them that makes them realize what hey are doing. To see how others have suffered and recovered may be the spark that is needed.

Have you ever known this person sober? That is something you should also consider going forward. Getting sober is sometimes an entire change of thinking and living. You are madly in love with an alcoholic and all the behaviors that come with it.
Good luck.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

And do those agnostic meetings work?
"It works if you work it." There is no simple solution.

AA teaches us about things like "honesty," "open-mindedness," and "willingness." These are "spiritual principles," and AA is a spiritual program.

It is easy to listen to the "addictive voice" that tells us we are unique and not able to work a program for this or that reason.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Does she love you the way you love her? I will say from the experience of being the drunk girlfriend, I wish my boyfriend would take a more tough-love approach with me. I feel that I need that. If I knew he was going to leave me the moment I had a drink it would be a big motivator for me. I always ask him after I've been drinking "are you angry at me?" and he says "no, I'm not angry, I'm just worried. I know you have a problem but I love you no matter what" and that support and love is something I cherish, I do. But I think that deep down I would prefer a harder line.
In the end, we alcoholics can only change if WE want to, not for anyone else. That said there are outside motivations and for me, keeping my amazing, stable, healthy boyfriend is one of them.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

AA suggests no relationships for the first year of sobriety for good reason. Two drunks make anything but a right.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that she makes the decision to seek support for her alcoholism.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

What can I do? She is only 33 (I'm 54) but she is just killing herself. And she knows it. But she doesn't care.

You could stop getting drunk once a month and demonstrate to her the pleasure that comes from living sober. Perhaps this would inspire her.

Other than that, if she is not willing to quit and has no desire there is nothing one person - regardless of how much they are loved - can do. Sorry to say that, but it is true.

Pray for her.....
Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Other than that, if she is not willing to quit and has no desire there is nothing one person - regardless of how much they are loved - can do. Sorry to say that, but it is true.
There is one... but it's not you. My daughter is in the same boat right now. She's 24 and lives with me but I know first hand, there's very little, if anything, I can do. AA's steps finally saved me but it took me a long time to want it badly enough to surrender. I knew I was beat but I couldn't surrender until after I had left a lot of damage in my wake and ran almost completely out of gas. Many wait longer, too long. Heartbreaking but true.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This woman is kind and intelligent and of course we find each other to be physically attractive. Her mother has cerebral palsy and so does my twelve year old son. She admires my efforts to a good father in spite an ex wife who is doing everything imaginable to make it impossible to have a relationship with my children. In general she admires me. I think that means a great deal to any man.

She has tried to quit. She gets extremely sick and goes through terrible withdrawls. In a couple of months she's having "just a little wine". Then it's soon back to vodka and then more vodka.

She plans on drinking until both her parents are dead and then committing suicide.

She was once mandated by court to go to AA and she hated it because she considers the concept a personal God to be ridiculous. I think she does not want to accept that idea that she is responsible to a higher power for her behavior. She wants complete freedom, even though basically she's a good person anyway.

I guess she's just hopeless. It's such a pity.

(by the way, I'm going to work now and may be offline for while)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

She wants complete freedom
Therein lies the problem. We can't have our cake and eat it too; we will choke on it.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If she is late stage, she must be very ill?

What symptoms does she have that make you think she is late stage?

Is her health in great decline?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's very little you can do for her, other than expressing your support of her getting sober. The decision to stop drinking has to come from her. I suggest giving yourself a break from this lady while you both sort things out.

Welcome to the family.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This woman is kind and intelligent and of course we find each other to be physically attractive . . . She admires my efforts to a good father

You seem to have a different view on things compared to the reality of the situation, an alcoholic who isn't seeking to change? It doesn't matter how "wonderful" or intelligent" this woman is, if she isn't willing to change her life, then nothing can be done.

What is in this relationship for you? does she not care enough to give you something back? if not, then why stay with her?!!

So she is contemplating suicide when her parents die, what does that say about her feelings towards you? she doesn't care about herself or you, I can see red flags here!!

Relationships are a 2 way process at the end of the day??!!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Whoa! Get off that horse and walk (no run) away. I see only pain for your future. I'm sorry.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

She's going to keep choosing alcohol over you until she finally gets desperate enough to choose life. I understand that you love her and want to stay by her side but are you willing to love her to death? My husband gave me the ultimatum one day, alcohol or him. It took me a few days of drinking and thinking but when i realized the gravity of my situation, his stance was part of what helped me decide. If i were in your position, i would tell her that i cannot love her to death. To watch her slowly waste away in a painful, alcoholic death is something i could not endure. I would ask her to consider casting her pride aside and asking for help from sober alcoholics. No one is asking her to commit to a religion. No one is asking for her to find God. All that is asked is to be willing to believe in a power greater than herself. Many of us begin with the power of the Fellowship. Many believe in the power of a program. She cannot will herself sober any more than she can will herself to fly. Pride kills many of us. I pray that she becomes willing. I pray that you come to find a decision that helps both of you.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Has she checked out SR???
Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Some real kind responses here on SR to your situation, ilovedrunkgirl, ones that demonstrate empathy.

I, too, am empathetic. In addition, I will encourage you to re-read your own words.

Your screen name makes reference to "drunk girl." Actually, she is not a girl. She is a woman, an adult. Adults can make the decision to commit to sobriety and then undertake the hard work of living in recovery. It is hard work. It is also, ultimately, achievable.

You can no more "save" another adult who doesn't want to make a commitment to getting sober than you can solve world hunger. There are many people, including those who seek support in the Friends and Family sections, who cannot -- as spouses, partners, siblings or, sadly, parents -- save another adult.

You write:
"This woman is kind and intelligent and of course we find each other to be physically attractive. Her mother has cerebral palsy and so does my twelve year old son. She admires my efforts to a good father in spite an ex wife who is doing everything imaginable to make it impossible to have a relationship with my children. In general she admires me. I think that means a great deal to any man."

She admires you. You compare her favorably to your ex-wife. You value your physical relationship. But you write she consumes substantial amounts of vodka, plans to kill herself once her parents are gone and has been in trouble with the court system.

The question isn't can you save her. You cannot. Only she can change herself for the better. The real question: How much of a toll are you willing to let her exact on your own life?