Notices

What is a "plan"?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is a "plan"?

I mean I know what a plan is, but what kind of plans do we make for sobriety? I think it would be helpful for me to know what others do with this plan thing. The obvious plan is No Drinking, I get that.

Today, it seems pretty clear that my dog is gone, probably for good. I live in lion country and it isn't the first time I've lost a dog to a mountain lion. After hiking all over the place, up the ridges and down the arroyos hoping to find the cache, I came home. Real tired, real sad. Hot. Mosquito bit. I really wished I had a plan. I wanted to drink wine and still do but the urge is less now. I ate chocolate and it did help. I took a shower and that felt good. But eating chocolate and taking a shower won't always work I don't think.

What's the plan, guys?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, I don't know what to tell you about 'the plan"

But in the past what has helped me has been to set a date, have a positive attitude, and do the quit!

I'm lucky enough to have made it through a few months of sobriety so that I know what that feels like and I always remember the good sober days and how that felt.

I'm truly sorry about your Dog. I hope that your fears are unrealized ant that s/he comes back unharmed!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry about the loss of your dog.

Your plan should be something that would work for you. For me, my plan was quite simple. I try to do something physically, mentally and spiritually for myself every day. Balance is key for me. So, I walk a lot, I read books on well-being or bios/memoirs of people who inspire me and I do yoga and meditate. I come to SR every day and read and learn. I spend quiet time with myself.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

My plan is posted on SR someplace. I will try to find it and post it....

Found it. It is from 2009. I followed this plan DAILY. As time passed, some of the plan evolved or changed, but EVERY day there is a plan.

Post #6 is where I put my plan in this thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...my-bottom.html

Today, I still go to meetings, am still accountable to a sponsor and my family, and now I have added helping others to the plan. I've even thrown some RR and CBT in there as they have helped also.

Glad you are here.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by View Post

Today, it seems pretty clear that my dog is gone, probably for good.

I live in lion country and it isn't the first time I've lost a dog to a mountain lion.

I really wished I had a plan.
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog Inchworm
we also live in the country just off Wildcat Cyn Rd
they didn't name it that for nothing
we just lost our #1 kitty cat a short while back
it is a hard place for them up here on the mountaintop

a "plan" means to me
a good list of healthy things to do so as to keep me
busy and away from the thought of booze
note
if we entertain the thought of drinking for too long
we will probably end up with a drink in our hand

we must keep our minds on better things

M-Bob
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You have an interesting question. There are different sorts of plans to my way of thinking. I think a good start is to work out what you are going to do when you want to drink. Eating chocolate and/or a shower proved successful this time, but what if these don't work. What next? Do you have any support? Someone that understands what you are going through and someone you can call when all else fails?

Then there are considerations about how you can keep away from situations that might lead to a temptation to drink.

Aside from the immediate things you can do, in response situations and cravings, do you have a larger strategy for getting sober? Something that others have found useful like rational recovery, AA, or regular visits here to read and post here at SR? This would be the meaning of "plan" in a more broad sense of the word.

Then there is of course the need for flexibility. Can you change your plan if what you are trying does not work?

These are things that come to mind in response to your question. It's a good one.

I hope your dog makes it back.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry about your dog, Inchworm.

I know the urge is to run from those feelings, but I think the more we face them the easier it becomes, the less we want to run to booze...and the more we grow too.

Use the support you have here and the support you have there around you.

You can get through this sober
Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. I am still thinking about the changes I need to put in place to maintain this wonderful sobriety that I have managed for 19 days. It is not just as easy as putting down the wine, is it. When I posted yesterday I was just plain angry. Thanks, again.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In the beginning of my sobriety, the best part of my plan was just don't drink today. No matter what, don't drink today. I am over 10 months sober and my sister asked me if I thought that I would ever drink again. I said I didn't think so but I KNOW that I won't drink today.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inchworm View Post

When I posted yesterday I was just plain angry.

once when I had almost 3 years sober I got real mad at the ex wife
just so as to shown her how mad I truly was at her
I went down to the store and bought a six pack of beer
our marriage was on the way out anyway
but -- for me -- booze speeds the process

Mountainman
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

for me, a plan has been action.

I took action - to go to AA for several months
I took action - to read the Big Book - 4x now
I took action - to log on here daily for a long while, then again and again when I felt called to
I took action - to call a friend who is 26 years sober and ask him to be there for me.
I took action - to call him regularly, check in, stay honest with him
I took action - to change some of the things I do in order to minimize placing myself in high-risk situations
I took action - every time I have been in a high-risk situation, to think through what I would drink, what I would say, what my 'bail out' would be if I felt at risk of drinking alcohol
I took action - to refocus on fitness

Plans are great... but it's ACTIONS that keep us on track.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Inchworm, I'm sorry about your dog. I hope it returns to you, and I hope you find some peace in the meantime.

As for plans... plans are all different because we are all different. My plan has morphed and evolved quite a few times over the past 500 days. At the moment, my plan is SR, recovery books that I continue to read, regular exercise, healthy eating, and being able to switch tasks easily and generally become more adaptable to the way life is Moderation, balance throughout my day is my plan and my goal... my modus operandi. Not too much caffeine, enough water, vitamins.

I keep in contact with a lady I met in AA... I hesitate to call her a sponsor, but she is a sponsor. It's not a regular contact, but one I keep in case I have questions about the steps.

I also do some volunteering at a local women's shelter although now I don't have too much time for it. I mostly did this in the first six to eight months. It really helped force me out of the house and around other women.

These are just some ideas. You'll need to make your own plan that works for you. Good luck
Old 08-15-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Anything my AV doesn't want me to do has about a 98% chance of being a good plan.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

I can be rather simple minded at times, well most of the time.
I adopted a two step plan :
#1 Stop
#2 Don't
It only applies to putting alcohol to my lips , but it works wonders, and they are(could be) myriad additions to step 2 2a,b,c , they would be things that deal with how you stay in step two, like chocolate, showers, reading, walking ect.
But for me the Big Plan is don't , thankfully I am stuck at and am comfortable with step 2, it stands to reason the more time that has lapsed since step 1 the less difficult step 2 becomes