Notices

Will I gain an appetite back?

Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I gain an appetite back?

I've NEVER been a breakfast fan, as long as I have my coffee in the morning, I'm good I'm 36 years old and have been drinking since I was 17 (besides 3 pregnancies). I've slowly lost my appetite over the years. I've been eating one MAYBE two meals (usually small) a day. I love food, or at least I used to I've only been sober for 3 days, but will my appetite eventually come back? I don't care if the weight comes with it!!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine did after a while, I used to skip meals all the time and never ate breakfast, but by cutting out all the sugar that alcohol has in it, I started to actually feel hungry, a sensation I hadn't felt in years!!

The body is a fantastic machine, as it repairs and heals it will crave what it needs, sleep, fluids and nutrition!!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank heavily for ten years and had almost no appetite. I am only on day 5 but my appetite has started to come back.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mine returned pretty fast, at around day 4. And it did with a vengeance!

I also started working again so I am constantly eating. I only eat healthy, except for one sugar treat after dinner. Ice cream!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mine came back within a couple of days. I was so relieved because I had lost weight at the end of my drinking days. It felt so good to eat like a normal person again.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah... Our bodies are amazing things... You have been substituting liquid calories for solid calories. Your appetite should come back in the first 10 days or so. stick with it.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am no expert, and I absolutely recommend you consult a doctor on this issue, even if it's a quick phone call. But I used to be a pretty good athlete and took courses in physiology and nutrition, and I'm betting he or she will back me up.

What facingfuture said is 100% right. Physical and mental health can be improved by eating right and exercising. And the more you can exercise, the more your appetite grows, because your body needs the fuel and nutrients. Even better, the psychological obstacles of withdrawal and recovery may be mitigated by the increased activity level, and the way that certain exercises increase endorphin flow (which are feelgood chemicals to the brain).

I would advise you to look into, and gradually (so that you don't hurt yourself) take up exercise as a way to occupy your mind, and improve your body (and appetite). Yoga, running, treadmill, pilates, weights, spin class, p90x, circuit training, racquetball - don't rule anything out (including weight lifting - don't worry, if you're female as your name implies, you'd have to lift massive amounts to look unfeminine. Common misconception.) unless you've tried it and don't like it for yourself. The first couple of weeks are hard, but nowhere near as hard as recovery. After a while, you'll see and feel the results, I promise.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your appetite will most likely come back. You may need to work at it a bit. You are early so don't push. I didn't eat much of anything when I was drinking and was very skinny except during pregnancy. I still don't have much appetite but I do eat. I try to eat something for breakfast even though I have never, ever been a big breakfast eater. A banana. A cheese stick. Peanut butter and toast. At times in early sobriety I would have to choke it down. Lunch is my biggest meal. It did get better. Eat easy stuff to begin with. I still don't have the appetite or interest in eating or food I had when I was younger but it's better.