Notices

Who is sober without AA?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sober over four and a half years with the help of my counselor and daily visits to SR.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I started off with AA, went to about 10 various meetings. Some were ok some weren't.. I don't do AA anymore as I found it too negative but it started me on the road to recovery so I am very grateful for that & now use my own tools which of course includes SR..
Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm not trying to instigate or start any debates - just have a few minutes to kill and was wondering about AA vs. no-AA this morning. I would go back to AA if I felt I *needed* it (as I felt I have in the past and did go) but I'm ok for now. For now. ; )

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

So GE&H, your struggles. Are they a failure of method? Or lack of passion about sobriety?
Hmm good question...I find after I'm sober for a while I miss my old way of life (the good stuff, not the bad stuff), I've just been doing it for so long. I also find I use it for social anxiety and "bravery" but I'm trying to gain confidence without the alcohol. The first drink I took that led to my last relapse was because I was in situations with new people and felt very intimidated and insecure. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but that sticks out in my head regarding this last relapse.

**I wasn't really big on the anxiety meds my psych gave me. They made me tired and spaced out all day.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't go to AA. I consider myself a problem drinker. 2-3 glasses most nights. 2-5 glasses on weekends. Pretty much daily. I don't think I am an all out alcoholic-yet. My biggest problem is the habit of drinking. Drinking to destress, drinking to celebrate, drinking to avoid problems, drinking because, well that's what I do (did) everyday. I didn't drink in the mornings ever. I didn't black out. It was just getting to the point where I was getting less tolerant to alcohol and enjoying it less and less. I got sick of being preoccupied about having my wine every night.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Like Anna said, it's not so much the method as how willing and motivated you are.
I also think that acceptance is paramount. Whether you do a spiritual program and take it a day at a time or go to a secular method, whether you consider yourself an alcoholic or a problem drinker the key is to accept that alcohol does not agree with you and that when you drink, things go South. You can never pick up a drink safely again and it is what it is.
A good test to see how you are doing with acceptance is to look in the mirror and say out loud: I am now a non drinker, I will never drink again.
Hang on to that though for a few minutes.
Think about never having another alcoholic drink ever again no matter what, think of being sober on holidays, birthdays etc even if your loved ones are drinking: how does it make you feel? Are you feeling anxious? Is the "beast" squirming?
If you feel any discomfort at the idea of being abstinent for the rest of your life, then there is need to work on acceptance as in:
Unlike others, I can't drink safely and it is what it is and I m ok with it.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Good points about acceptance and desire to stop. I also think these are crucial.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am 22 months sober today. No AA.

I was a "closet wino".
Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I went to AA. I still sometimes go to a meeting. I sometimes read the Big Book. I don't know whether I was / am "full blown". I never lost it all. I never found myself in utter despair. I was never at the point of "can't live with it, can't live without it". I have many many years of memories involving alchohol and other drugs where I was still a respected, professional, productive, loving member of society and family....

But I also had a lot of trouble over the years. I had two DUIs. I had affairs and divorces and problems in school....

I don't feel like I have to have AA - but I am grateful for its role in my sobriety.

I've never worked all the steps fully... but I don't discount the possibility that I may, over time.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Don't do AA, short term abstinent. I don't really know what I am. If my current methodology continues to work, I'll have a better idea.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post
Hmmm see my therapist is big on AA and naggged me to go. She says your chance of remaining sober greatly diminishes without it.
So was mine, then I got a new therapist and things have been going good.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic. Not drinking every day or drinking in the mornings, nothing like that but definitely an alcoholic as I self medicated in evenings/ weekends and didn't have an off button! I was a highly functioning one too with good job, but I have loads of debt due to the booze! I don't go to AA, but I have contemplated as I had a wobble last night and nearly got drunk! I think that the reason I am out off is I keep thinking that it is too Christian for me as a practicing Pagan, but iam told it isn't like that at all, so we will see.

I am 14 days in, so wish you luck!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I didnt use anything but this website for the first eight months of sobriety.
Turns out I had a big chip on my shoulder about AA.
I go to AA now. If you can do alright without it, more power to you, but I just think of it as one more tool in my toolbox, and one more resource of people who understand what Ive been through and are trying to all get well. Gives me perspective to see other people where I was at, where I want to be, and where I dont.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I do go to AA, maybe once or twice a week. I do not work the steps, but I do find the support of other alcoholics helpful.

The slogan is "take what you want and leave the rest". I take the support, the funny stories, the seriousness of staying sober, the coffee, the laughs, the sad reminders, and the phone numbers. I leave the steps, the higher power part and the praying. My wife asks "Does AA help you?" my answer is always the same- it doesn't hurt me (and honestly, sometimes the meetings are kind of fun). I think a lot of people are surprised to find that many meetings are very upbeat and can be quite entertaining.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I strongly believe it's motivation, not the choice of program you follow.
I have to strongly disagree with this. It's not just a matter of motivation. At least not for everyone. I often see statements like this, as if it applies to all people. It does not apply to all people. It's just as false as saying that AA is the only way to get sober.

If the choice of program does not matter, why is SR here? Just to help people feel good as they are recovering, but supplying no real assistance? If it's just a matter of an individuals motivation, then what other conclusion is there? And what if the individual does not stay sober? Do you point a finger at them and say "It's your fault. You just were not motivated enough"?

No. I believe that sometimes the program or method does matter. In fact I believe it can make a great deal of difference. There are great resources out there, they vary widely. That is as it should be.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Never been to AA but I come here every day. I try to make the meetings on Tuesday and Friday, and I don't know if I was an alcoholic or not. I know I drank to much and I needed to stop. I am so thankful for SR.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I went from a problem drinker to a full blown alcoholic and was very, very sick. I went to Inpatient treatment where we had mandatory AA meetings, and also attended AA sporadically after leaving treatment. I am 23+ months sober now, and I use SR as my primary resource these days. In the beginning, I believe it was helpful for me to be involved in some kind of group experience and I think AA helped in that regard. It was especially nice to meet healthy-looking, successful people in the flesh. I thought to myself: "I can get there someday too".

There is no set recovery path for anyone. Maybe in the future there will be (Two AA meetings per week for Joe; One RR meeting per month for Jane, etc) but in the meantime it's the Wild West out there. No rules. Whatever works, do it.

I often refer to my plan as a "Recovery Stew". I mix in a bit of whatever feels right. Sometimes it's a lot of posting on SR, sometimes it's a hike in the woods or a swim in the ocean. Again, whatever works, keep it going.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I use exclusively SR.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post

If the choice of program does not matter, why is SR here? Just to help people feel good as they are recovering, but supplying no real assistance? If it's just a matter of an individuals motivation, then what other conclusion is there? And what if the individual does not stay sober? Do you point a finger at them and say "It's your fault. You just were not motivated enough"?
The choice of recovery program does matter, Awuh. Saying that a desire to be sober underlies most programs and most good recoveries doesn't preclude saying that there's a "better" recovery program for an individual.

And I also think many here on SR would disagree with your statements about the efficacy of SR. No real assistance? Lol. I won't even go there.

Is it a person's fault if they drink again? Absolutely. Where would the fault lie otherwise?? It's MY drinking and the repercussions of that drinking that got me sober eventually. Not the failure of a person or a program. Not a particular circumstance.

Am I an addict? Absolutely. And addict's like their drug of choice. It is 100% my fault and responsibility if I drink again.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Guess I am both or just not sure what the distinction is between the two. Because my drinking is a problem for me and those around me, I consider myself an alcoholic.

Daily drinking for 20+ years that escalated to drinking around the clock; although i did not drink after i went to bed and did not start again until 9:30 am or so on the weekends.

Drinking at work starting around noon; I justified because others had a drink with their business luncheons, LOL. The only difference is I didn't stop at a drink or two... or three or ten.

I can't stop after one drink, as simple as that. If that's a problem drinker or alcoholic then that's me.

What ever I am classified as, I know one thing... I no longer drink, period.

SR is the only support I have; greatly appreciate everyone here by the way!

I promote what ever works for us as individuals.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was bad enough of an alcoholic to drink all day every day for 5 years and nearly die.

I got sober right here on SR. This community saved my life.
It was what I needed GEAH

I was ready to come in from the storm and SR held open the door, and gave me a blanket

Find whatever it is you need to stop you drinking and stayed stopped GEAH. Any ideas outside of AA?

D