Notices

I need to get a life!!!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Fairly simple, Miss. Don't drink.
Ya..that's pretty much it in a nutshell now isn't it. But yes..the question is "how" do we not pick up the first one.
Lots of good advice on that already.

It's taken me a looong time to want sobriety more than I want to drink. And even as much as I honestly and truly want sobriety..there are still those "moments" that pop up where a drink suddenly seems like a lovely idea.
That's what we need tools, support, knowledge and awareness for.

This site and/or community an endless wealth of that very thing. I am making concerted efforts though (this time) to ensure I have "real world" people I can call or see or do things with that help support my sobriety when necessary.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One suggestion would be to make positive plans for your free time, especially for the typical drinking hours, e.g., have a routine for immediately after work (mine is nap then eat first, then other stuff), and have to-do lists for each evening and day off (include some little goals and accomplishments with the entertainment and pastimes).

Also, every day do something sobriety-related to keep refreshing your commitment, such as SR reading/posting, AA meetings, reading sobriety books and articles.

Another suggestion would be to look for compatible ways to address being left alone with your thoughts at work, whether it's contacting a friend or two, expanding your social circle for after work, or maybe finding another job that wouldn't be so isolating.

Some writing exercises might include making a list of pros and cons of drinking, writing out the various costs and benefits of one night's binge, a month of bingeing, a year of bingeing.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissAliceMay View Post
Hi there, new to this so have no idea what I'm doing! Anyway I could really do with chatting to anyone about binge drinking. I really need some help. I want to stop drinking so much but how?
Career binger here. Like others have said, it's accepting that you can never have that first drink (truly truly accepting that, unconditionally), and then creating a recovery plan that works for you and sticking to it.

Binge drinking is reckless and extraordinarily dangerous. It puts your life and the safety of others around you at risk. For years, I ignored those dangers and suffered all manner of consequences. Lost friends, relationships, jobs, dignity, etc. The only solution for my problem is 100% abstinence.

Welcome aboard.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Excellent suggestions here. It is such a simple thing to say just don't drink..and that's all you have to do...but it can be really hard in the beginning. Staying close to this sight and reading and posting will get you through the hard times. It is totally possible to quit the booze. You will make changes and your life won't be boring. You'll have to do some hard work, but it is so worth it and you will feel so good. You are worth it!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Try to never forget what happens when you start. For me I almost got nervous before drinking because I wasn't sure what I would do or how much of an ass I would make of myself online, as I drank by myself. I benge drank too and know one drink has to be many many more.. if not it's kinda torture
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not to oversimplify it, but I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. When I got to that point I was able to stay sober.

Welcome to the family.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well MissAlice, for me to get a handle on my drinking it meant no drinking period. 1 drink for me may as well be 30 because I cannot stop after the first one. I had to hit rock bottom before I got help. I had lost pretty much everything in life so I had no choice. I literally only had a couple suitcases of clothes left and couldn't even afford a six pack of beer.

The first step is reaching out. You can't do it alone. You will have to make some lifestyle changes but that is a small sacrifice considering where alcohol can lead to.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very very much for your support. Several things I have taken note of and tips which I'm going to start using. Today has got to be the start! I need to do this. I'm not sure if most of the people who've replied are in America? I'm England so quite big time difference but I wondered if there is anyone who I could message if I was really struggling on a particular day? Anyway just to say thanks again to all you lovely people x
Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good Luck Miss Alice! Let us know how your day goes.