Notices

Hand to Mouth

Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hand to Mouth

I have been sober for over 40 days and my brain "still" has not cleared from the drunken fog that was my life. However I am celebrating little victories like being out at a bar last night for a client dinner and loading up on Ice-T. This got me to thinking one of the main habits I need to break/change is figure out what to do when my hands are idol. I constantly have to be drinking something or doing something with my hands. Is this an odd issue or have you guys experienced this? If so, any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If you feel the need to drink, drink water or seltzer water. I prefer the latter with lime--it has a "bite" to it.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I usually have a beverage at hand. Most often something sugarfree.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To answer your question RORO, Yes.

I constantly have to have something to drink / in my hand. I prefer a can or bottled soft beverage. I believe its because I have done everything with alcohol. My problem has always been beer so the bottle or can of soft beverage helps me.

I believe it stems from always having a beer in hand. Whether its was cutting the grass, vehicle maintenance, playing horseshoes, concerts, family outings etc, I have always had something in my hand going straight to my mouth.

I have a smokeless tobacco habit (dip) that helps with this but I know I need to quit that too. One thing at a time though. Hell, I got to the point where I can drink a the same time as using the tobacco as the tobacco habit was interfering with my problem drinking.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My evenings were all about drinking for years, and now I substitute my evening drinking with many pots of green tea!!

Whatever keeps you Sober!!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You completely understand my problem. thanks.

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
To answer your question RORO, Yes.

I constantly have to have something to drink / in my hand. I prefer a can or bottled soft beverage. I believe its because I have done everything with alcohol. My problem has always been beer so the bottle or can of soft beverage helps me.

I believe it stems from always having a beer in hand. Whether its was cutting the grass, vehicle maintenance, playing horseshoes, concerts, family outings etc, I have always had something in my hand going straight to my mouth.

I have a smokeless tobacco habit (dip) that helps with this but I know I need to quit that too. One thing at a time though. Hell, I got to the point where I can drink a the same time as using the tobacco as the tobacco habit was interfering with my problem drinking.