Notices

Cleansing the body ..

Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cleansing the body ..

So as I embark on this sober journey once again, I was wondering if you all had recommendations on cleansing the body. I kno the alcohol is of the system pretty quickly, and it's gone from mine after this being my third day sober, but I am looking for ways to clean the liver and help it heal itself. Also, just cleansing the body in general. I'm also planning on quitting nicotine once again, as I had before and also started smoking again. So I want to hear about things you all have done in order to help with that. I just want to feel as good as possible as fast as possible. But I will say that I feel better already after just a few days without alcohol
Old 08-13-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know the detox market is huge and I'm sure others have different views, but to me our bodies do a marvellous job of detox without us trying to hurry the process along.

Eat as organically as possible, get enough rest, stay hydrated and be patient are my only bits of advice.

D
Old 08-14-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drink a glass of warm water with the juice of one lemon in it every morning. I have read that it has many benefits including cleansing of the liver.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Apart from eating super healthy and planning my meals (to keep me occupied at wine o'clock), I drank the juice of 1/2 to one lemon in water at night - sometimes in the morning as well.

I also did a few ginger baths at home. Note, put the ginger inside a stocking (pantyhose) so you aren't left with ginger scraps clogging up the drain. Maybe not for everyone.

I'd Google first as they can be quite warming...you don't need oodles of ginger in there to get the effect.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I drink a glass of warm water with the juice of one lemon in it every morning. I have read that it has many benefits including cleansing of the liver.
By warm water do you mean room temperature as opposed to out of the fridge or do you actually warm the water up ?
Old 08-14-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I make sure to always have a water bottle with me wherever I go. I've found that I drink much more water with the bottle rather than just drinking from glasses. Simple tip but it's made a difference for me.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have nothing to add to this conversation except I initially read the title as "cleansing the booty" and it made me laugh.

=)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I found my body would take care of itself. My mind was cleansed by a lot of AA meetings
Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour View Post
By warm water do you mean room temperature as opposed to out of the fridge or do you actually warm the water up ?
I use warm/hot water, but I think as long as it is not cold it has the same effect. It is not only for the liver, it also is good for your skin, your digestive system, a lot of things. It is a nice way to wake up for me. I did read that you should then wait 30 minutes before consuming anything else- breakfast, coffee, etc.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post

I also did a few ginger baths at home. Note, put the ginger inside a stocking (pantyhose) so you aren't left with ginger scraps clogging up the drain. Maybe not for everyone.

I'd Google first as they can be quite warming...you don't need oodles of ginger in there to get the effect.
Cool! I am going to try this!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sweating is another great way for the body to get rid of toxins, so run forest, run!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee - you body will heal itself - the liver is actually very resilient. Eat healthy (avoid too much fat and sodium and eat plenty of vegetables) and stay well hydrated with water. Take a multivitamin too.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drink lemon water as well, I actually even squeeze fresh slices into my cold drinking water all day.
I drink green tea. I make a smoothy every morning for breakfast (kale/spinach, half a banana, mixed frozen berries, whey protein and some unsweetened almond milk)
Eat loads of salads. Watch my salt/sugar intake, luckily I wasn't much of a crap eater even when drinking, so that wasn't a huge adjustment on my part.
I also take a B vitamin daily.
And sweat. I just started going to the gym again, baby steps
Old 08-14-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drinks lots of water and take Milk Thistle twice a day. Also eat as clean as possible. Avoid processed foods, soda etc. It can be a little hard to get accustomed to but I swear by it. Food is the best medicine. =)
Good luck, I am glad you are feeling better! I myself am on day three of sobriety after a 7 day binge.