Notices

Quitting for real this time, How did you do it?

Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting for real this time, How did you do it?

Hello,

I haven't been on a forum since my sophomore year in highschool, I don't know what to talk about really, but yesterday I decided to quit drinking alcohol. I used these things to hide from problems in my life; instead of facing them. Trying to quit alcohol has been an issue for me since I was 21, due to loss and depression, and being 27 now, I cannot think of a time I went more than one week without drinking. I have read some articles about living sober and overcoming the pressures of drinking, what others did to help, and I believe I relate to many people on this forum so I signed up. Every other time I tried to quit I went back on my word, going a week and saying I can control it, but everytime I drink I cannot stop drinking, I drop deeper into the abyss, taking on every sip like its my last breath. I become angry, cocky, over-bearing, sloppy, and black-out. And I wake up in the morning not knowing how I got home, how I fell asleep, what I did for that last hour or two blacked out. I just need help to quit. I need advice on how to route my mind from alcohol, and so I came here for your personal experiences and advice. I'm afraid I'm going to kill myself one day. I'm afraid I won't be able to hold onto a relationship longer than 3 months, I'm afraid I won't be able to change. So I am doing something I've never tried before, and hoping it will help with a more prosperous results.

Please tell me your experiences the first weeks you decided to quit, What hobbies or change of agenda you decided to take? Anything positive really, I would like to hear what you have to say.

Thank You.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

welcome to SR,posting is a great first step

This place is chuck full of people who know what you are going through, post , ask come back often.

I stumbled on SR and was introduced to terms like RR, AVRT , addiction ambivalence, kindling, alcohol withdrawl associated with anxiety. Researching those things and finding what resonated with me was the ticket that helped me cement my resolve.

As to my experience I found the solution to be simple, but far from easy.

wish you well and hope to see you around ! You can do this!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will look into those things, Thank you dwtbd.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me support was and still is very important, the problem I found was my mindset remained the same, I wanted to drink, so the way forward is to somehow short circuit those thought process with a lot of support, you'll find loads of support here on SR, also people use meetings, community groups or other methods, there's plenty of options to choose from!!

However simply eliminating alcohol from my routine and continuing on for me wasn't enough, it just created a lot of free time, I needed to develop new routines, new habits, a new Sober lifestyle.

It's not easy in the beginning, but if you push through it gets easier with time!!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll tell you one thing for sure the longer you drink and the older you get the harder it is to quit. I wish I'd been smart enough to quit ten years ago. I've wasted so much time. Trust me it'll only get worse. Good luck. You'll be much happier
Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support. Purpleknight and Dave36
Old 08-13-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! It's a good idea to get medical help to get thru detox, which can be dangerous. Ask your doctor for help in getting thru withdrawals. Once you've detoxed then you can look for support in staying sober. SR is a great source of support, as is AA and the many other programs of recovery.

Glad to have you with us.

I quit drinking for good with the support of my counselor and this site. It's been working for well over four years now.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a new 'poster' on this forum but can safely tell you that I have used these pages for many months to gain inspiration. In actual fact, this is then first place I come to when I feel as though I am floundering.

It's only day three for me, but this is the longest I have chosen not to drink for many years. I feel motivated. I have support around me and most of all, I keep telling myself that this is for ME.

I'm already feeling slightly agitated and worried about the weekend. But this week, I've driven to work every day feeling proud. Saying out loud that I CHOOSE not to drink today.

Take it a day at a time. That's all I can offer you. Every day we go without is a day we WIN.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Family pulled an intervention on me
24 yrs.ago after I had a horrible accident
with my car in Feb. 1990 hitting a concrete
culvert sitting on top the ground, spending
10 days in the hospital recoverying very well
within a few months with medicine only.
No alcohol.

Then in August 1990 I picked up a drink which
led me right where I left off of in February
and tried to end my life because I felt like
a failure.

Family made some calls and went thru
some steps where the court ordered
me into rehab for testing for my mental
state, which was found to be fine but
had an addiction problem to alcohol.

I remained in rehab for 28days being
taught about my addiction it had to
my mind, body and soul and those
around me. They gave me a program
of recovery consisting of steps and
principles to incorporate in my everyday
life each day I remained sober.

Today, I am still living by those recovery
tools which has taught me to be happy,
honest and healthy in all areas of my life.

For me, my family did for me what I
wasn't able to do for myself 24 yrs ago
and for that help I have my life back and
am blessed and grateful for it.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was also in a car accident back in 2006 that ended with 2 of my friends passing away. I wasn't the driver and didn't drink much, but after I turned to extacy and alcohol to get over my depression. I still feel responsible for not driving that day when I should have. You would think that experience would make me despise alcohol, but I just jumped right in afterwards, wanting to escape the guilt. Thank You all for sharing your stories and advice with me.