Notices

Drinking has made me overweight. How do I now get fit?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking has made me overweight. How do I now get fit?

Hi folks,
Firstly I'd like to again thank everybody for their support a short while ago when I hit rock bottom through alcohol abuse,
I'm still hanging in there but now I've got a new challenge as I've got a fair bit of weight to lose, I'm struggling with motivation to shed the pounds. I've been craving a hell of a lot of sweet foods over the last few weeks and I've noticed I've put another 7pounds on since I've quit.
Has anybody else got a similar issue?

Bruno.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm no expert but personally I think the only real way to lose weight and get fit is to look at your diet and your exercise regime Bruno.

No shortcuts - not if you want a lasting change.

D
Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bruno, I would suggest getting a personal trainer. I went to the gym for years and never saw any progress. Once I started with a trainer and really followed his advice I started shedding the pounds. I lost 25 kilos over the course of about 8 months. He gave me a program that was mostly weight lifting, with a small amount of cardio at the end. If money is an issue, you could always go visit the trainer once or twice to get a program and then do the workouts on your own at a gym or at home. Then go back to the trainer for a refresher plan as needed. I found seeking professional advice really put things in motion for me, I had been doing it all wrong and had no idea. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try this to satisfy sweet tooth. Buy unsweetened vanilla almond milk.. Its only 30 cal's per 8ounces. One banana, a few Frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries.. IF you have a few grapes, throw in, a small piece of pineapple or melon. (if you ahve a really good blender, you can use diff fruits, mine is an old one, that was cheap 20 years ago).. Put on the smoothie/shake setting. Ends up a huge glass full and only about 200 calories. Its sweet. IF You make it thicker (more frozen, less almond milk) you can eat it almost like sorbet. Its quite good..No added sugars, just natural. My entire family, 3 kids under 13 really like them too. As far as motivation, Its like a lot of things..the 1st week is really hard, you have to struggle not to eat, but it then becomes a bit easier when you see the scale move downward. Good luck
Old 08-13-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what Dee said.

You got overweight over a course of time.

You get back your fitness over a course of time.

It took consistent inactivity and drinking to rack up the pounds.

It will take consistent fitness activity and not drinking and watching your diet to get back in shape.

If you can physically do it - running is probably the very best way to shed those pounds and also comes with the great benefit of being an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, stress-venting and energy-boosting activity.

It won't feel that way at first, but if you stick with it after a couple of months you will notice really great results starting to come along. It will help you lessen your snacking and sweet habits and will also give you the ability to sometimes indulge those cravings because you're doing more activity.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruno1979 View Post

I've put another 7pounds on since I've quit.
do you have a bicycle ?

it is considered one of the best types of exercise

get's you outside a little also -- a good thing for mind, body and soul

Bob
Old 08-13-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If it's not in my home I wont
eat it. I also try to make sure
when I do go shop for groceries,
I eat first so that Im full and that
way everything I see in the store
doesn't look appealing.

I can go get just whats on my
list and get the heck out of Dodge
quickly, safe and sound.

Im an early to rise and early to bed
kind of person so that staying up
late watching tv and eating everything
in sight that's not healthy isn't an option.

Can't consume calories if im sleeping.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wouldn't start off running just yet if you are not used to it. You will be at risk for injury or worse even - an overuse injury. Start by walking. Yep - simple enough. Start 30 min a day, work up to an hour in the 2/3 weeks, then do progressions to walk 10 min, run 5, walk 10 min, run 5 in the following weeks. Then increase it each week as you go on. Work slowly into it to avoid injury - I've seen it more times than I can count
Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bruno,

I am trying to lose some weight after giving up the drink. I kept quite fit even when drinking but eventually the excess calories from alcohol dominated the calories burnt through exercise.

The approach that is working quite well for me is to log all of my calories , and eat the daily allowance to maintain weight (this is to stop alcohol cravings that I seem to get when am hungry), but then use exercise to create a net negative .

As above it is worth starting off slow if have not exercised a while. Also there is a lot of complicated advice around losing weight but it really is as simple as net calories (calories in - exercise) versus your bodies requirements.

The counter I use is myfitnesspal.com , this is free and very easy to use (can even get an app if have a smalrtphone). It lists most of the food found in UK supermarkets and will also work out your base calorie requirements. I am sure there are others but I find this good for me. (Admin apologies if links not allowed)

Hope this helps
Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

There are other threads in the Heath and Fitness forums right here on SR that may be able to give you lots of good ideas and support, Bruno. Check it out
Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If your calorie intake is < then what your burn, you shoud lose weight.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Start with walks. They will hep physically and mentally. I also snack in nuts. Keeps me full and they are good for me. Like Dee said: for this we can't take shortcuts...

The ball is on your court.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Avoid carbs: bread, pasta, rice, or sugary products
Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'll post later but:

1. You can't lose weight and eat the same stuff. Period.

2. Can't lose weight and remain sedentary, you have to move. As mentioned, walking is a great exercise and underestimated with regards to weight loss. You can do it anytime, anywhere, unlike the gym. Might I suggest a Fitbit Zip (Google it) makes it fun.

3. (Don't know why this is a list) I eat a LOT of fruits and vegetables and for meat, chicken. When actively trying to lose weight I eat yogurt and coffee for breakfast, banana mid morning snack, salad, apple, milk for lunch then huge salad at night. Lots of veggies for snacks if I get hungry, also have Wasa whole Grain crackers......while walking. Weight falls off if you stick to that.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Follow a healthy diet and exercise daily.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I started about 6 weeks ago with exercise and diet changes. I am watching what I eat and power walking (Im not ready for jogging or running yet bad knees) at the track for at least 1 hr 5-6 days a week. I have lost 14 pounds so far.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Once again, thanks for the replies.
This place really is my saviour.
You guys are fantastic,
Bruno.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
There are other threads in the Heath and Fitness forums right here on SR that may be able to give you lots of good ideas and support, Bruno. Check it out
Wait! We have a Health and Fitness forum? I guess it's time for me to read it too. And just this morning I said I was ready to pick up a healthy self care habit I've been avoiding. I think I'll start with walking.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I'll post later but:

1. You can't lose weight and eat the same stuff. Period.

2. Can't lose weight and remain sedentary, you have to move. As mentioned, walking is a great exercise and underestimated with regards to weight loss. You can do it anytime, anywhere, unlike the gym. Might I suggest a Fitbit Zip (Google it) makes it fun.
We actually have a SR Fitbit group!!!! we are in the activity section of Fitbit forums, called the SR Steppers, come and join us....we are a small group now, but we move a lot! and have some friendly competition and fun. we also moan and groan, cheer each other on. I have the Fitbit One, others have the Zip or the flex....I love this thing I am getting much more exercise with my SR friends too.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fitbit? ... Headed over to find out what a fit bit is