Notices

Drinking has made me overweight. How do I now get fit?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Forget all this crap about carbs, sugar, fat, insulin levels etc etc etc. The only thing you need to know is how many calories you are consuming compared to how many you are burning. It's a simple mathematical equation. Many people are making a lot of money pretending it's more complex than that.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

With regards to how much you should expect to lose: the first few weeks you can lose massive amounts due to water weight. After that you shouldn't aim to lose more than 1% of your body weight to avoid losing significant muscle. So about two pounds for the larger gentlemen such as myself.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was expecting to be thin after just a month of sobriety and nothing changed in fact I gained weight from all the chocolate, cookies and ice cream. It took about 3 months to get up the motivation to do anything about it. One really simple thing to do is drink a ton of water. I drank soda water and still do and lots of it. Another thing I did was buy a juicer and had one really nutrient packed juice as a meal replacement. I know everyone says this, but moderation in food. So eat what you like but not too much of the bad stuff. I am 8 months sober now and I walk a lot but other than that not crazy exercise. I think your body will naturally regulate itself as long as you are not packing it with junk. I've lost 30 pounds and seem to be hovering at the same weight. Avoid processed and restaurant food. I think just knowing what is in your food is important. I read somewhere that weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise. I also read that weight training boosts your metabolism too.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It has already been posted. There are thousands of diets to loose weight.
Only one works. It's the "Man Show Diet". Look it up.

Start walking - walking walking until you feel comfortable walking a lot to expand into jogging, hitting the gym and adding other exercise to you days. Walking is free. The man show diet is free.

There is a 'diet' that works. Make salad the main dish. Eat less junk - sugars and breads and such. If you eat a well balance nutritional diet and walk miles every day you will lose weight. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT. But if you are consistent and stick to a plan - nothing complicated - it works. Losing weight gradually is more effective and more likely to last that losing weight fast on some fad diet. Fad diets are unhealthy.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The Health and Fitness section of the Forum is an amazing place for plenty of inspiration!!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Everything that's already been said...

Reduce calories and start some type of work-out to get your heart rate elevated for a short period at first. I hate jogging but am either doing that or walking three times a week. Better than nothing!

Egg whites in the morning, can of tuna at 11, fat free / sugar free snack around 3 (or low calorie oatmeal) then dinner around 6 - 7 (when i'm trying to loose weight I'll have a turkey burger, salad and small baked potato).

My big problem after quitting drinking was my sweet tooth. Now I eat a ton of fat free / sugar free pudding (instant or cook kind) with fat free / sugar free caramel or chocolate topping. Also make fat free / sugar free brownies (use egg whites and a half can of diet coke; sounds gross but it's a low fat alternative if you are craving chocolate).

Body types are different, but limiting my fat and sugar intake while increasing my daily protein has helped me loose about 30 pounds.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Bruno, the sugar craving I found reduced quite quickly once I became used to not drinking all those calories in alcohol, and then my weight returned.
If you've a smart phone try downloading the chuck to 5k, its an NHS one .
My wife downloaded and at 48 runs 5k 3 times a week and reviews all her food but doesn't diet just notes and has made adjustments . She lost inches but then started losing weight,interestingly she does get tired but sleeps better and wakes with more energy.
Emma had never run for anything but perhaps a bus. It really is good but like we know you need to stick to it.
Glad to hear things are going well.
John.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
totfit

Eat right and move it, move it, move it.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I find it helpful to always carry around a large cup of iced green tea. Unsweetened. It's good because a lot of times when we think we are hungry, we are really just thirsty.

I find it's also good when I'm out and about, because when you have your own drink on you, people are less likely to offer you one. And it gives you something to do with your hands.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~Music is my mantra ----{-@

Originally Posted by Sonrisa12 View Post
I wouldn't start off running just yet if you are not used to it. You will be at risk for injury or worse even - an overuse injury. Start by walking. Yep - simple enough. Start 30 min a day, work up to an hour in the 2/3 weeks, then do progressions to walk 10 min, run 5, walk 10 min, run 5 in the following weeks. Then increase it each week as you go on. Work slowly into it to avoid injury - I've seen it more times than I can count
Great advice Sonrisa. I just heard a story on NPR about how mixing fast and slow intervals during a workout makes a huge difference in our blood sugar levels. Interval Training While Walking Helps Control Blood Sugar : Shots - Health News : NPR
Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For a month or so after I quit, it was great -- the pounds just seemed to melt off. All those extra calories that are no longer part of your intake.

I think maybe the body starts to recalibrate metabolism, though, and it's like the free ride is over. I started following the Mayo Clinic Diet earlier this year because it emphasizes a good balance, as well as exercise. I also needed something a little more structured because the Venecia Plan wasn't cutting it. I enter everything -- and I do mean everything -- on an app called loseit dot com. It really helps.

Exercise-wise, I shoot for five workouts a week, sometimes settle for four and sometimes get in six. I alternate between 25-30 minutes on the elliptical and the treadmill. Started running some on the treadmill, but an old injury to a knee made me think that might not be such a good idea. I also alternate between light weights -- one day upper body, next day lower body.

It's working. I was too scared/embarrassed to step on a scale so I'm not really sure how much I've lost (and replacing muscle with fat may skew the number) but I am down a full two sizes (or three, depending on the cut of the clothing) and am feeling really good.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Question. Every alcoholic seems to lose a huge amount of weight the first month or so when they quit. Do you think this has something to do with you shedding your fatty liver over the first few weeks?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

not every alcoholic - I put weight on.

D
Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yeah, fair point. Well, most alcoholics I've met/spoken to.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
Question. Every alcoholic seems to lose a huge amount of weight the first month or so when they quit. Do you think this has something to do with you shedding your fatty liver over the first few weeks?
I did lose about 8 pounds when I quit drinking. I figure I was consuming an average of 2, 200 calories daily on drinking. Probably a lot of water weight.

Think my body just readjusted. Lost another 22 or so by tweaking my diet and daily eating time. When drinking I would eat dinner around 11 pm not to ruine my buzz. Now I eat around 7 and still have time to burn calories by playing with the kids after dinner.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yeah, fair point. Well, most alcoholics I've met/spoken to.
I think that can be very misleading. Not all lose weight. I focused way too much on hoping to lose weight and I believe it is different for everyone.

Many people are actually malnourished.

Also, my metabolism was very sluggish...despite exercise for 1 1/2 hours each day. Half hour on the bike and an hour walk and no carbs or fat = no weight loss for 2 months.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I think that can be very misleading. Not all lose weight. I focused way too much on hoping to lose weight and I believe it is different for everyone.

Many people are actually malnourished.

Also, my metabolism was very sluggish...despite exercise for 1 1/2 hours each day. Half hour on the bike and an hour walk and no carbs or fat = no weight loss for 2 months.
That seems quite strange. Were you particularly overweight to begin with? You should have lost quite significant water weight from cutting out carbs and exercising more, if nothing else.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That seems quite strange. Were you particularly overweight to begin with? You should have lost quite significant water weight from cutting out carbs and exercising more, if nothing else.
That's my point, everyone is different. If your metabolism is screwed, it takes some time to recover.