Notices

Feeling really down today...

Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling really down today...

Hi Friends.
I'm just feeling really down today. My emotions are all over the place and I just wanted to tell you my friends about it because I don't have anybody here to talk about it with. I'm sure this is all part of the process of learning how to be sober and happy which I will get there I promise. I new going into this it wasn't going to be easy and it's not. I just wanted to get this off my chest because I don't want to bottle things up. Everyone of you are so important to me and I can't thank you enough for just being here. I am on day 13 and still fighting the good fight.
Thanks for listening...
Nvguy
Old 08-12-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery can be an emotional roller coaster for a while. But it does pass and you will feel better. Hang in there.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you shared this. Keeping things inside was and still is my issue.

Take care and congratulations for your 13 days.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 13 is still early days!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for being real.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey nvguy,
Know how you feel. This isn't easy, but we will get there. I'm only on day 5, so you are ahead of me, and doing great. Let's keep at this. Hoping you feel happier soon.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted and I really hope that you feel better.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Emotions all over the place is common for a couple of months. Keep your eyes on the prize - freedom from living life around the bottle.

13 days is awesome!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OK working on 3 weeks tomorrow.....last Friday/Saturdayish....that'd be about 10 or 11..... were the toughest days so far. I was cruising along and BAM. Anyway, maybe that 14 day threshold is a bear. Feeling much better know.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep it up nvguy.... you're doing,it right, and coming here is a major source of support and understanding....

All good things
Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the knowledge and rooting me on. I appreciate each of you and thanks for being apart of my wild ride.. You guys are cool.
Nvguy
Old 08-12-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also want to add my voice to the crowd cheering you on. And as everyone else has mentioned, it is totally normal to have mood swings and feel down in the first few weeks of sobriety. Your brain is healing itself and you're beginning to feel things for real again. I know it isn't always awesome when it's happening but it IS a sign of progress.

So as the ever-wise Nonsensical said, keep your eyes on the prize. It is so very worth it.

And hop on here whenever you're feeling blue or need some love. We got you .

You're doing great, two weeks is awesome!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Early on is tough... All these emotions. Like, why emotions?! I drank you away before! Lol

It gets better. And I think it is courageous to post about it, asking for help. You're doing great!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My early days were up and down too, mainly down. I learned that I did not get where I was over night and thus would not recover over night. I took it one day at a time.

Keep going. It is great you come here for support too!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love this thread. THIS is what SR is all about. We all need each other.
Attached Images
Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Oh hang in there friend! Day12 was my hardest for some reason. The roller-coaster is right! And it does get easier and you are not alone. Glad we are all here together. You may wish to try the much talked about 'ice-cream therapy'...pint of a delicious sounding ice-cream and some duh! TV. I think I will have some myself. Keep posting through your moments. It becomes easier to recognize for what it is and passes much more easily as well...just a moment.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by nvguy View Post
Hi Friends.
I'm just feeling really down today. My emotions are all over the place and I just wanted to tell you my friends about it because I don't have anybody here to talk about it with. I'm sure this is all part of the process of learning how to be sober and happy which I will get there I promise. I new going into this it wasn't going to be easy and it's not. I just wanted to get this off my chest because I don't want to bottle things up. Everyone of you are so important to me and I can't thank you enough for just being here. I am on day 13 and still fighting the good fight.
Thanks for listening...
Nvguy
Hi, I found my day 12 (yesterday) really tough, but now I am ready for day 13. The way I am getting by is each day by day. I am simply saying: "I choose not to drink alcohol today" and by morning I am glad. I read a book recently that put things logically and said, you are busy most of the day that you are awake and the average person usually then only has 4-5 hours in the evening where they would usually cram a binge in, so just occupy those hours with something else and despite me staying up working and at 0555 am getting up for work knackered, I am not hungover! You can do this!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My family members are not drinkers and they have mood swings, too. The difference between them and us is they don't think about drinking it away. The best way I found to take the power out of a mood swing or a thought/feeling is to talk about it in group, or post about it here. It is funny how opening up about a problem like this just takes all of the wind right out of it. So glad you are here!!! You can do this. WE can do this.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thinking about you, I hope you are feeling a bit better. Keep up with the sobriety, you are doing great!