Notices

what motivates you.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what motivates you.

What motivates you ? What keeps you sober? What keeps you going day in and day ?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day in and day out***
Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My family and my health. Being grateful and never forgetting what is guaranteed to happen if I drank again. Probably most importantly acceptance that I cannot drink and being fine with it.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My dogs and cats are my kids now that my kids are grown and gone. They need me to care for them and I can't do it drunk.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What has helped me immensely is that I want to be sober more than I want to drink. The reason this has not fluctuated day to day is because I finally got sick of drinking. I don't even want to. So far I haven't even been tempted. I drank every day for eight years and just go disgusted and sick of it.

I wasn't the weekend binge drinker who drank for fun. I became the daily maintenance drinker where the fun is long gone. Buzzes didn't make me happy or relaxed. The very reason I started drinking had disappeared. I still can't figure out the science of why the buzzes ended. The buzzes, relaxation, and fun ended but the hangovers didn't. The blackouts didn't.

If I were to drink tonight I would not enjoy it. The drinks would make me panicky, flushed, and depressed.

I would spend the next three days in bed feeling like my body was shutting down.

I play the tape to the end. That's how I keep going!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Exactly what Melinda said. Exactly.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What keeps me going is my son he's 17 months old a non stop energizer bunny !!! Lol he never stops untill he sleeps. But I do miss my dog she's a German Shephard who was abused before we got her at 6 months very timid and shy. She's 7 now and my parent don't take great care for her but I miss her but there's no way I can take her right now . Every weekend me and my son go see her she looks worse and worse since both my parents r alcoholics and neglect her. Shes one of my inspirations. Ever since I left home she waits for me every day at the same time I used 2 come home . I just wish I could take her home .
Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

foryoumyson - Sorry to hear about your dog. Do you think you'll be able to take her home eventually?

What motivates me is curiosity. I already know what I'm like when I drink, but I don't know as much about me when I'm sober and trying to live my life well. It's exciting to see who we can become if we allow it and try our best.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most of the time what keeps me sober is that I LOVE MY LIFE and I love myself. BUT there are times when I start to sink into depression again, and during those times when I feel that I don't matter, what will keep me going is that my family needs me to be healthy and whole. When those dark days come, I have tools to use and self-care I know to do. . . like seeing my acupuncturist (he knows my story) to get treatment for depression and getting out of the house to the forest or the coast. Fortunately my husband is well aware of all of this and will take me away for a weekend at the coast or wherever I need to go to reboot and get out of my pity party mindset. AND I have you guys It is just a one day at a time thing for me, and that works for me.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ditto Melinda. Nailed it for me. I want to experience life not hide from it anymore.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, very much what Melinda said. It was certainly not fun in the end. It was torture; pure, unadulterated torture.

Plus, these days, even though everything is certainly not rainbows and unicorns (when you stop drinking, you starting feeling again), the old saying is true: my worst day sober has still been better than my best day drunk. At least in the last two years of my drinking.

Also, people trust me again. Like completely. Sometimes when I read on here that people are so devastated by what they have done to others while drinking and feel like they cannot quit because they will never get over the shame and/or have people trust them again, I want to jump through the computer screen and say, "Not true!! Hang in there!"

I did ridiculously horrible stuff to people who I supposedly loved when drinking. Even now to think on it makes my stomach flip a bit. But most (not all, but most) have forgiven me and now trust me implicitly. With their HEARTS. They trust me with their hearts. How did that happen? How did they manage to forgive me and even love me again? Those people, and all of you, keep me sober because they are proof that miracles happen everyday. We are each a testament to that .
Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Those people, and all of you, keep me sober because they are proof that miracles happen everyday. We are each a testament to that
PrCapote nailed it with this ^
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well where I live now u can only have a dog 35 lbs and under and she's 85 but I told my parents if they get her a professional washing and a check up for the sake of my son I will take her and won't let anyone know even if I we get in trouble that's my other baby
Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Family...not quite at the for myself part yet. Oh, and diet coke.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Altoids great post and I love your picture and it sounds like you have a great husband
Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Gronk I guess ur a pats fan I'm from new England but I'm a Carolina Panthers fan and we're going all the way !
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My reason for living, my reason for crying, my reason for laughing, my reason for staying sober.........My son!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Airwick how old is your little man mines 17 months .
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My family and my health. For sure, things weren't right with my health because it has changed so much since I quit. What keeps me going is knowing I can be better than I am, that I haven't gotten to the best I can be yet, still got booze weight that is slowly coming off. Day to day? Well, I just focus, try to deal with and correct the self-talk. Instead of hearing "just ONE drink okay?", and sometimes I still hear that, but I say to myself...remember how you looked and felt...think of how people compliment you know and react to you positively and how you have become a better person. How my kids have regained a mother and my husband a wife. How I am actually getting things done.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
Airwick how old is your little man mines 17 months .
I know this was directed to Airwick but just wanted to say, my son is 13. It reached the point where he started offering to get me a glass of wine. Don't let it go that far! I drank when he was ages 3-5 and again at ages 9-13.

At 17 months your son won't remember. I used to think, I need to quit before my kids start to realize things. Now I wasn't falling over, I just sorta kept a constant buzz of alcohol in me. I felt like such a prisoner to booze.