Notices

63 days sober and struggling!

Old 08-11-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

63 days sober and struggling!

Hello,
I'm finding staying sober harder then I thought.

I was admitted into hospital on the 10th of June with yellow eyes, a swollen liver and vomiting blood.

After 8 years of heavy drinking that spiralled out of control in 2012 when my relationship broke down and my partner left me I hit rock bottom I stopped sleeping and would drink a bottle of brandy every night and 3 bottles of wine in the day I hardly ate or left the house.
i hated my self and was
sick and tired of the shame and embarrassment i coursed and completely isolated myself from friends and family frightening them off with alcohol psychosis that I had started suffering.

I was ready to die but also desperately wanted a chance to get better and live.
I was stronger then I thought and completed a 8 day detox in hospital witch felt like hell going trough scary DTs, all over pain and the rest.
but I did it and felt grate for doing it and now have my family back in my life. but that grate feeling didn't last I cant sleep or function right, I find learning new skills very hard, my memory is really bad I am also in so much debt from not paying any bills since my partner left. I cant cope and obsessively crave a day off from being on this sober roller coaster of high and lows.
JUST ONE DAY OFF to get drunk out my head.
What's wrong with me??
[/LEFT]
Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Jay88 -

I am sorry that you are having such a tough time. I know you have heard it before, but drinking tonight won't help solve any of the problems you are facing.

There is nothing wrong with you. You are just like me, an alcoholic. My belief is that I have a body chemistry and genetics that makes alcohol affect me differently from others. Not my fault, but I still must deal with it by not drinking.

I don't like to give advice on SR (rather only to share my personal experience), but it feels like you need to reach out for help immediately. Why not go to an AA meeting and see if there is someone there who has a similar experience to you who could help?

One day of drinking with your history could lead to very bad things, so why not try AA. What do you have to lose?

I will be thinking of you tonight. Just don't drink today and then start tomorrow fresh. Hang in there.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. We are here to help and support you in your sober journey. If you feel the urge to drink, post here instead.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

It sounds like paws. Post acute withdrawal syndrome. Here is just the first link google gave me. You can search and find many tips to help deal with paws.

Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms | Alcohol Rehab

Congrats on 63 days!!! Stick with it.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you newme11109,
and you are right one day of drinking could lead to very bad things, so I'm not going to drink tonight and I will try to get to a AA meeting tomorrow I think it will help me to not feel so alone.
thank you
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you I never heard of PAWS, I will check it out.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sorry I've never posted any thing before and I am rubbish at things like this. so not sure if I have replayed properly. I need to get the hang of all this.
Thanks every one
Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jay, Welcome, you are doing so well and really need to give yourself a pat on the back.
I think it is a great idea to get to a AA meeting and share F2F with people that can relate.

In the secular section of this site there is some info on dealing with the cravings that really helped me. AVRT. It addresses the addictive voice that is inside all of us. The voice that thinks and tells us that drinking for any reason is a solution for anything.

Your brain is going through a lot of changes and is trying to heal from the alcoholism. It takes time. It takes time to get messed up, it will take some time to get better.

As you get better the issues around debt and relationships, quality of of life, our thinking all improve greatly. Take care.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jay - you know it won't be just one day. Thats the addictive voices in your head trying to tempt you back to booze.
It will turn into days, weeks, maybe months.
You have worked hard after your hospital admission, but you are probably still a bit fragile after drinking for so long.

Don't isolate yourself.
Why not step up your AA meetings if you can, perhaps go to 2 meetings a day?
Could you confide in someone at AA and say you are having a hard time and see if they could meet you for a coffee or help keep you occupied?

Are you looking after yourself well?
As in eating good and resting and getting enough sleep? Maybe thats something that is causing you to feel like this?

I really hope you come here more, especially when you feel like this.

If you drank for a long time, its going to take a longer time to get used to not drinking and your body recovering. It won't happen overnight. I'm sure you know that already.

I wish you the best xx
Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on 63 days. That's awesome
Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Jay. Congrats on your sober time. That is AWESOME. And, yes, posting on here helps so much. Keep posting and talking with us. I know everyone here on SR helps me daily.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jay,
welcome to SR.

in a roundabout way, it can be really helpful in the bigger picture to see that this is harder than you thought.
it drives home the hold and seriousness.

in the moment, it sucks.

keep going, and the moment will change.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Jay88, 63 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Please just tuff it out Jay, at some point in time the struggling with cravings will go away, rootin for ya.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jay I'm so glad your not going to drink!! I am new to this too but after hearing lots is stories at aa I think if you go back for "one more drink it would kill you"! Someone said that to me when I was close to taking a day off. Alcohol wants to isolate you and kill you, it's sick that even while knowing that I still want it at times. We are all in the same boat. You can do this! Please, please don't drink. I don't know you but have a strong feeling about you for some reason? Let us know how you are tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear your struggling so much. Meetings really help me, it's a great support. 63 days is amazing, I can't wait till I can say that! Great work Jay88!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hang in there Friend

Theres nothing wrong with you, some of us were just made this way. Alcohol makes us sick. Man do I know the feeling. Hang in there. I wish I could make a claim to 60+ days sobriety.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jay!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay

I agree with others who've said there's nothing wrong with you that's not wrong with the rest of us.

I drank for years - it took a little longer than 63 days to get myself 'right' again.

Support does help tho, and you'll find a ton of that here

D