Notices

Robin Williams

Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

RIP Robin Williams

Guardian Interview (2010):

Some have suggested it was Reeve's death that turned him back to drink. "No," he says quietly, "it's more selfish than that. It's just literally being afraid. And you think, oh, this will ease the fear. And it doesn't." What was he afraid of? "Everything. It's just a general all-round arggghhh. It's fearfulness and anxiety."

It's scary how much I can relate to trying to keep those feeling of fearfulness and anxiety at bay through alcohol. It's sad (and frightening on a personal level) how this need to keep those feelings away overcame his (temporary) acknowledgement - or "gift" -- of being happier and unafraid to be unhappy:

I ask if he feels happier now, and he says softly, "I think so. And not afraid to be unhappy. That's OK too. And then you can be like, all is good. And that is the thing, that is the gift."
Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi SR,

Marc Maron uploaded a great interview with Robin Williams recorded in 2010. He discusses a lot personal things about his struggle with alcohol and drugs.

WTF with Marc Maron Podcast
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Im so very upset by this! What a beautiful person he was, Hollywood just does NOT produce folk like him these days!

Rest In Peace Robin Williams!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

The news did hit me pretty hard, too. He had access to treatment and experts that most of can never have, and he did utilize them. . . and yet it got him. There was this "WTF, hopeless" feeling I had for a bit. BUT. . . it makes my resolve stronger. I told my hubby what I was feeling and he said "not every cancer patient survives, either. You will survive this." So. . . I'm recommitting to being a survivor of this horrible thing. Hubby is right and I'm so glad that I have him working with me. And that I have all you guys walking this path with me. It isn't an easy path at times, but we can do this together.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

There have been a few celebrities that I have passed that I really enjoyed their art whether it be music or the dramatic arts, and it didn't affect me as deeply when Robin Williams passed. To hear that it was suspected suicide just broke my heart and brought me to tears.

I know that I did not know him personally, but I felt we had some simililarities (I think we all do). The obvious drug abuse and difficulty coping with depression. But, also he was so kind and felt compelled to help those that have been marginalized in our society. The homeless, underprivileged children, and mental health (my field of interest).

Its almost as if, to be truly empathetic and driven to help others, one must also be in a constant battle with their own demons, or better put, disease. Which I think a lot of us can relate. Of all the help he provided to others it was a shame no one could help him.

Just breaks my heart.