Notices

Robin Williams

Old 08-11-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I cried at work when word went around that this sweet, dear man has passed. I have felt despondent in recent weeks myself. I pray that nothing will push me that far. In my opinion, suicide happens when someone is so lost, so bleak, they can't remember who loves them. God rest you, dear sweet Robin Williams. I have loved you since I was a kid. Surely you are at peace now. You will always be cherished.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I was very sadden to hear this. I hope he is now at peace.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I've battled alcoholism and depression for 10 years now. The thought of still loosing the war at 63 makes me shake with anger at the futility of struggling through the years of pain.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

RIP Robin. A genius... This is a classic Williams stand up on Alcoholics!! Rings a few bells!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtPp_xIpC4
Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Shocking news!!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

RIP. Robin Williams. I remember wearing those Mork suspenders in middle school, doing the gags (nano-nano) with other kids at the time. He was a part of my early childhood and middle-years, when there was no real cable and you waited all week to watch the new Mork and Mindy. A good segue from Happy Days and that whole era. And then his movies. He was a comic genius. And one of us. An alcoholic.

Jonathan Winters was one of his idols and a major influence on his comedy. Winters, of course, had his own share of issues he dealt with publicly and with grace. Two kindred souls, which is in a way ironic now. There is a great Carson show clip of Williams and Winters on YouTube. Williams ad-lib genius is on full display.

RiP. I am confused and just.....sad about this news. A sober reminder that this disease can manifest and magnify itself in so many tragic ways.

I have never been shaken over a celebrity death before....not sure what it is this time? I suppose it is part of me acknowledging that he was part of us, and with this disease part of me. I think I am going to hop in the shower and have a good cry.

Be well all.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jezza View Post
RIP Robin. A genius... This is a classic Williams stand up on Alcoholics!! Rings a few bells!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtPp_xIpC4
I laughed so hard when I listened to his stand-up weapons of self-destruction! Something about him that just makes me smile as soon as I see his face.

Went to bed thinking about his passing and had the most weird deams.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

A few comments referred to him as an 'ex-alcoholic'..

I think his story reminds us that we who have struggles with addictions are more like Marines than retired dentists; once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.

See what he has to say about it in his own words in this article;

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/56700...ushpmg00000063
Old 08-12-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

but.... rather than lead us to hopelessness for our own prospects, I think that his words remind us of the importance of making sobriety an active choice in our lives, ensuring we don't get too far from our support, sober rituals, focus on gratitude and WHY we have chosen sobriety.

That AV cannot win if we maintain our choice with vigilant action.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqEKvk9F4I

LOL!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
That's just me. I attribute the therm Alcoholic to someone active in their addiction. Someone that stops is simply a non-drinker. It removes the stigma, and makes me feel good about my recovery. I don't feel the need to carry a recovering Alcoholic label. I'm a non-drinker by choice.
I like it! I don't like labels at all so I don't even refer to myself as an alcoholic unless I have to. That's one of the things that makes me uncomfortable about AA. I don't understand why people have to say "Hi, I'm serenidad and I'm an alcoholic." Drives me nuts!

People in AA say "you need to say it so you never forget what you are!" REALLY?

I'm a NON-DRINKER. That's my label. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I always admired his dramatic works. He was truly gifted.
Wife came home from work saddened this morning - she found out last night. First time I ever heard her mention how much she really liked a 'famous' person.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

This is just so sad. Scary too, when it is something you live with everyday in your own life.

RIP Robin - you were amazing man and gave joy to so many.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

RIP Robin
A sad loss and a wonderful talent.
There by the grace of God go I.
Forget it, even 20 years down the line, and i am in peril.
Today's sobriety dedicated to a fine man.
G
Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

i learn the lesson that i will never have this illness of alcoholism cracked no matter how long i am sober.

its sad after 20 years he went back to the old habits and all the illness that surounds it all when stuck in that world

at least his daily battling with life is over now and he can rest in peace

so for me its a powerful lesson i learn yet again from others who do my drinking for me

rip robin williams and thanks for all the pleasure you have given over all the years to so many
Old 08-12-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
I like it! I don't like labels at all so I don't even refer to myself as an alcoholic unless I have to. That's one of the things that makes me uncomfortable about AA. I don't understand why people have to say "Hi, I'm serenidad and I'm an alcoholic." Drives me nuts!

I don't refer to myself as an alcoholic either.... never did like the label and probably never will anywhere except at AA meetings.

but "ex-alcoholic" to me is a dangerous denotation.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I am so sad. What a waste. RIP Mork!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleFelix View Post
Robin Williams is someone I've always associated with my childhood. He made so many movies for kids - Aladdin, Hook, Flubber, Jack, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji etc. He become like a member of the family. A really famous uncle, perhaps.

He was always funny, of course, but there was a sadness there too - you could see it happening beneath the surface. It breaks my heart that his gifts couldn't bring him the same joy it brought us. I hope he is at peace now.
I've been looking at various pictures that have been posted in remembrance of Robin Williams, and you can just see the pain behind his eyes. Even if he is "smiling" there is something there that is apparent if you look for it. So so sad. Like a PP, this is the first time I have ever felt an emotional response to a celebrity death. I've always loved "Hook" and "What dreams may come" (a somewhat sad and ironic movie now) as my favorites, but enjoyed him in SO many others. RIP.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

I soooo agree with this. It seems like I'm reinforcing the negative instead of the positive of being a non-drinker. I'm not a VICTIM and calling myself an alcoholic feels like victim-hood to me. Someone who survives cancer is a SURVIVOR!!! I'm a survivor of my disease. Yep!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My oldest brother attended Julliard with Robin. John Houseman(Google him if you not sure who he was) was the principal at the time and the founding director of the drama department. Kevin Kline, Chris Reeves, David Ogden Stiers(MASH) were among others at the school during this timeframe. Belushi was also from Chicago and well known to this group of troubadour's in NYC late 60's / early 70's.

David Carradine was the best man at my brothers wedding years later. My brother related a story about David - he was the only guy I know that got two DUI's in the same night. Got one, released several hours later on OR - went out again and got another one. The second one was due to the fact David was stopping on the green lights and going on the red ones.......

My brother has struggled with addiction - specifically alcoholism for many years. He is currently 10 years removed from his last drink.

Last night in discussing Robin's death with my DD, she commented how she could not understand addiction in people of means. I explained to her that it makes no difference of age, color, gender, material wealth or lack thereof.

Robin's passing is another stark reminder that this insidious disease NEVER rests - in any of us. But, for the grace of God go I.

The lesson is be ever vigilant and realize whether newly sober ( me ) or 10,15,20 years we all have but one day at a time.
RIP Robin..... You were one funny dude.
nanu, nanu.......