Notices

Observations from my 1st sober weekend:

Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Observations from my 1st sober weekend:

On day #9 sober and Just made it through my 1st sober weekend. I made the following observations:
1. I did everything on the weekend I normally do with beer (going out to dinner, parties, housework, shopping, etc.), but I actually had more fun sober;

2. I woke up Saturday and Sunday mornings and felt good (no headaches, no sore throat from talking way too loud and/or puking, no remorse)…I'm still not a morning person though lol;

3. There were more people not drinking than drinking at the two parties I went to Saturday. Had I been drinking, I would have assumed the opposite;

4. I felt more real this weekend. I didn't spend my weekend drinking and trying to act "normal" aka not buzzed/drunk. I just was "normal;"

5. I ran all the errands I needed to without once having to stop and ask myself if I'm okay to drive. Normally I would end up drinking too much and then I would have to wait until the week to run the errands. I already have 12 hour work days…I don’t need to tack on more things to do during the week;

6. My DH still drank his beers on the weekend as normal, but he never once offered me a beer or tried to get me to drink. He was loving and supportive. However, I think based on my previous attempts to quit that he thinks this is temporary. Hopefully he will be just as supportive when he realizes that his weekend drinking buddy is gone forever. I'll always be his buddy, just a sober one;

7. Monday mornings aren't so bad after a sober weekend. Normally I wouldn't feel quite right until Tuesday afternoon. I would be a little bit uneasy inside, a little shaky, a little blue/depressed on Monday mornings especially. I just didn't feel good mentally or physically;

8. I took better care of my physical needs over the weekend. When I drank, I would work myself to the bone. I would get a lot done, but I would over-exert myself and sweat and not drink enough water. I would get sick and exhausted but I wouldn't rest. This weekend sober, I ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full because I was aware of my hunger. I rested when I needed to. Plus, I didn’t get the drunken munchies, which leads to my next observation;

9. I actually lost 2 pounds from Friday, which is awesome since I'm overweight and need to lose weight anyway;

10. I felt a little more emotional, a little more raw. Actually, I'm not sure if I was really more emotional or whether I was simply just feeling emotions that are normally dulled with beer;

11. I absolutely adore being sober. I know that the sober life is the only way to truly live my life. And last but most important;

12. I absolutely adore beer buzzes and I could easily fall back into the weekend drinking lifestyle, by convincing myself that I could have a few and let it go. The problem is that once I pull the trigger by having that first beer, I never really know if I will shoot one bullet or all the bullets in the magazine. Not having one is the only way I won't have one too many.

I'm so glad to have found SR and all the support you all give. Right now I'm a taker on this forum since my sobriety is so new....one day I hope to be a giver on this forum and help others stay sober.

Sandy
Old 08-11-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Glad you made it through the weekend. This stood out though:

Originally Posted by SandyLovesFall View Post
I absolutely adore beer buzzes and I could easily fall back into the weekend drinking lifestyle, by convincing myself that I could have a few and let it go.
It's one of the reasons--besides personal experience--we tell people to give some thought to avoiding parties and such not in early recovery. It's real easy to look at one's success over the course of a couple weeks and get overly confident, or convince ourselves we don't really have a problem, or just plain fall for the temptation to drink.

So be careful, don't upset your progress.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SandyLovesFall View Post
I'm so glad to have found SR and all the support you all give. Right now I'm a taker on this forum since my sobriety is so new....one day I hope to be a giver on this forum and help others stay sober.
You "gave" with this post, Sandy.

Congratulations. Stay vigilant. Stay strong.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 9 Sandy. Great post and big accomplishment. I do agree with Carl too. I got complacent in June after 31 days sober. It's easy to do especially if you are in a situation that makes drinking an "easy" option.

Again, congratulations and stay strong!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I recognize that I'm feeling extra strong and positive right now and it won't always be like this, but everything was wonderful about being sober this weekend. Since beer drinking is all around me constantly on the weekends, every weekend, I will have to remain vigilant in my sobriety fight. I intend to bug you guys a ton on the weekends and post instead of drink.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great stuff Sandy!!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Absolutely Awesome Sandy!

Weekends are especially tough for me as my weekend life is structured like yours (except my spouse does not drink at all / its all the friends in the neighborhood.) Your post tells me clearly that it can be done. I think it is great that you made it through and with a positive attitude. Congrats and congrats on your days of sobriety.