Notices

Starting sobriety

Old 08-11-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting sobriety

Hello all, im here hoping for some information on starting out sober. I've had trouble controlling my driknking ever since I was 16. I've always drunk to excess even earning a nickname of Bender. I'm not the kind of person who drinks every day but generally only of a weekend where I will drink for 2-3 days at a time. When alcohol is in my life, it tends to control it. I have had times in my life where I haven't drunk for a month or two at a time due to say sporting or raining commitments and I do find that life is better in these cases. I've really found lately alcohol is starting to take hold of my life again and I feel I'm ready to cut it out of my life altogether. I'm looking at AA meetings in my area and will attend one tomorrow. I was hoping some of you good people can tell me what to expect at my first meeting and also the first year of sobriety. How often did you go to AA meetings. Is there anything else you did other than AA? Any challenges Im likely to come across. How did you deal with it in social settings? Did you tell your friends you were gonig to AA? When you are dating, did you tell your dates? How did they react?

Thanks all
JB
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bargeworth View Post
I'm looking at AA meetings in my area and will attend one tomorrow. I was hoping some of you good people can tell me what to expect at my first meeting and also the first year of sobriety. How often did you go to AA meetings. Is there anything else you did other than AA? Any challenges Im likely to come across. How did you deal with it in social settings? Did you tell your friends you were gonig to AA? When you are dating, did you tell your dates? How did they react?

Thanks all
JB

Hi and welcome.
AA is a group of men and woman, young and old who are there to stay sober and help others to get sober. It is NOT a religious organization, generally will not force anybody to join a religion or believe in one. Not saying there are not exceptions in certain areas.
When attending meetings you don’t have to say anything, if you want to say I’m XXX and I’m an alcoholic, just visiting, exploring or what you feel at the moment. It’s a place where people understand each other because they’ve been there.
I would personally suggest latching onto someone you feel comfortable with and asking him, for males, her for woman, to be a temp sponsor. That’s someone who can answer the many questions we have as a beginner. I went to 90 meetings+ in my first 3 months and became quite active helping out at meetings.

BE WELL
Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bargeworth, here's a warm welcome to you! You will find a lot of support here!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bargeworth View Post

I'm looking at AA meetings in my area and will attend one tomorrow.

I was hoping some of you good people can tell me what to expect at my first meeting

How often did you go to AA meetings.

Is there anything else you did other than AA?
welcome Bargewoth
these same type of threads seem to pop up often
good luck with your AA meeting tomorrow
expect to see and meet people there just like you
not perfect - but - having a desire to be and stay sober
after 6 years of sobriety I still attend two to three meetings a week
M-Bob
Old 08-11-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Bargeworth - Glad to have ya here!

I am just over 60 days sober and doing the AA route. Our group has about 25-35 people on average - several are less than a year at any given meeting, and several are over 20 + years sober. It can vary depending......I have been to around 60 meetings, have come to enjoy them and the gallows humor.

The experience has been good for me, as by myself had been tried many times before but to no avail. I did get a Big Book and read it immediately / refer to it often. Keep in mind the book was written back in late 30's so has some yester year writing. Bill W was listed at one of the most important 100 people of the 20th century - I found as I read about him, truly a remarkable individual.

A temporary sponsor is a good suggestions - that can give you someone to talk with and listen to you. No need to rush into a permanent sponsor- I did and sometimes regret the personality difference = old timer with hard handed methods....

Don't worry about a year - just try TODAY which will lead to Tomorrow!

If I may help, let me know - there's some good AA info on here, but many have drank gallons of the KoolAid and you'll get the AA propaganda without any real world constructive criticism , IMO.

Final though in your group =OOK FOR SIMILARITES IN STORIES AND PEOPLE, AND NOT THE DIFFERENCES. This is important, as no two of us are alike!

Peace and Glad your here!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Bargeworth. You will find a lot of support and helpful advice from the good people here. I know I have.

Good luck on this sober journey. I am glad you are here with us. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best of luck Bargeworth.

You will find a ton of support here. I can't speak for AA personally, but this community has made all of the difference in my sobriety so far.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum JB!!

Don't worry about all those fears you may have about Sober life, concentrate on being Sober at any cost and everything else will work itself out in time!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I'll just take each day as it comes. This forum seems like a great resource. I'll get on here as often as I can.