Notices

HAS to be the final day 1

Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
10/03/2014

HAS to be the final day 1

I am so tired of this disease and what it allows me to do. I love the sober me, but one bad decision, to pick up, can ruin all that.
I don't want to hear "relapse happens". It doesn't have to and many on here prove that.
I would appreciate constructive encouragement, suggestions etc.
Hope this doesn't sound witch. Just need help getting it together before I get to a point of no return.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So what's the new plan? . . . for me carrying on in the same way simply lead to the same results, we got to change something to create a different outcome, more support? meetings? etc

Have you accepted that alcohol is no longer an option? I went round and round trying to convince myself that I could some day moderate, after a few weeks, I'd convince myself that 1 drink wouldn't do any harm, I finally had to surrender that this was my downfall and was never going to achieve long term Sobriety with this type of thinking!!

I needed to admit, I had no control over alcohol and so myself and alcohol had to part ways for good, I was now a non drinker from now on!!

Make that commitment and make this your final Day 1!!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
10/03/2014

Thanks purple.
I have always struggled with step 1.
How does a person know that they have admitted powerlessness?
Does that make sense?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeap, I suppose it's through actions, so for example in my head for a long time I thought I'll not drink today and I'm committed to Sobriety, then a few weeks later would think I could maybe have a few drinks, I'm not feeling too bad, that really didn't indicate any shift in my thinking or commitment to completely surrender to my lack of control over alcohol, I thought I could, over and over again, I went round in circles for a long time!!

So the shift in my thinking came when those same thoughts inevitably still cropped up, but this time I had a plan in place to counteract them, reaching out for support, riding that craving, new activities, changing up the people I hung out with, a complete revolution of my lifestyle to make it happen, really grinding out the idea that myself and alcohol were finished, no more first drinks, I was done!!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

lastchance4me

I don't want to hear "relapse happens". It doesn't have to and many on here prove that.
big hug for that being said!

Find something to do, do you like to read?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Two main things I had to do lastchance

find the right level of support, and use it; and change those things in my life that made it easy for me to drink - it might be lifestyle, it might be the way you approach problems or stress or boredom...

basically look at what you've been doing for your recovery so far - and think about what you could add to that?

D
Old 08-09-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're right, relapse does not have to happen.

It sounds like you need to change your plan of action. What can you add that will help you to stay sober? Are you prepared to make the necessary changes in activities and people in your life?
Old 08-09-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Some great advice here. Perhaps an introspection of why you choose lastchance as your nickname might help.

Keep at it, you can make this your final day1. Rooting for you!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Think of it as a choice rather than a disease.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hola: I read here that relapses were part of addiction, not sobriety. You have to commit to being sober. Never pick up that first drink.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lastchance,

I logged in here for probably 3-4 hours a day during my first week. Sitting here and reading seemed to be the only thing that kept me from drinking. It also filled the time. I couldn't get a day one for over seven years even though promising myself I would stop every morning when I woke.

You sound like you want to be sober more than you want to drink. That's what it takes. I didn't reach that point til June 27th of this year and I haven't had a drink since. When you truly want it, you can do it. For me, if there was any doubt, I knew I would drink again and it was usually within 72 hours of swearing off of it.

Keep this site close and keep us updated on how you are doing.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
10/03/2014

Thank you for all the responses.
Nowsthetime. I love that. Relapse is not going to be a part of my RECOVERY.
I have never heard it put that way, but makes a ton of sense. A simple yet huge change of mindset. Thank you.