Notices

High Emotions

Old 08-09-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High Emotions

I'm at the salon right now and my hair color didn't turn out anywhere as dark as I wanted it. I'm sick to my stomach and want to cry. I'm a little over the top even for me. I wonder if I'm more emotional because of not drinking?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sure that is it ..I am feeling the same way right now. You will be ok , remember tomorrow is a new day and you will smile ! Treat yourself to something nice!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my first week my emotions/thoughts were all over the place, but it all levelled out as time went on!!

The body is trying to adjust to not having what it has always had, but it can't wipe away or heal years of drinking in a week, it's gonna take more time, it has to adjust physically as well as emotionally and mentally!!

Hang in there!!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks trouble you hang in there too. I keep telling myself it's only hair color.....I'll get it darker next time. I feel like an infant right now lol

Thanks purple knight. ...I'm trying to stay calm....trying lol
Old 08-09-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It will get better with time. And your hair looks fine I'm sure, not need to hide under a chair
Old 08-09-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I know what you mean. After NOT feeling things for so long and numbing myself with alcohol, it was like the emotions just came out of nowhere. The first week was by far the worst. Crying, then getting very angry, etc etc. My therapist said it was to expected. Now almost a month in, I'm feeling much more leveled out. But there are still moments. I got a very thoughtful letter from a friend the other day and I cried. But that was a good thing!

ETA: Hair is very personal. People have cried over botched jobs, without being in our situation. I'm sure it looks fine, but don't feel like an infant. You're entitled to feel how you feel.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be a little bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride for sure - I know I bottled up feelings for a long long time...they all tended to come out in a rush for a while

It will settle down though

D
Old 08-09-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I definitely came all unglued over little things in the first couple months. It's normal to be anxious, but it will get better and easier. You're doing great.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery is a bit of a rollercoaster ride. Stay sober and things will settle down.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SandyLovesFall View Post
I wonder if I'm more emotional because of not drinking?
In a word...yup. I was really afraid I was going to lose it today whilst out shopping. There was a fussy, likely overtired toddler screaming and crying and a woman holding up the cashier lineup (hugely apologetic of course) because she was having problems with the pin number for her debit or credit card. I was sandwiched between the two. I know that this would not have troubled me to the extend it did today. I was terrified I was going to scream something like "geez man can't you shut that kid up???"...or "listen lady you're holding up the line ..don't you have any cash for crying out loud!".

Ya .it was awful. I hear ya.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the help and positive comments everyone. I'm okay now. I'll go back in two weeks to have it colored darker the way I want it. I'm at a beach party and 100% sober and loving it. I would spend half my time at a party drinking and trying to stay "normal" and now I just am "normal." I really feel positive right now. Thanks again all. Have a happy Saturday night.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lol nuudawn. I'm glad you held it together lol.