Notices

ughh sleep problems

Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ughh sleep problems

I started to have problems sleeping 4 days ago.. anywhere from 4 to 5 hours a night. I am on day 8 today. From your experience how long should it be before I can sleep? This seems worse than last attempt.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on day 17....drinking LOTS of caffeine during the day, as a result I can't fall asleep until very late....2am yesterday.....but slept until 9........I figure, if caffeine and diet soda/coffee helping me deal, so be it. Luckily, once asleep, I'm asleep.

This is my first attempt.....so everything is worse than the last time, also, everything is better using that logic.

Seems to me....it is what it is......sleep, cravings, anxiety....I'm just dealing as they come. If it was easy, every drunk (me) would have done it a long time ago.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post
I started to have problems sleeping 4 days ago.. anywhere from 4 to 5 hours a night. I am on day 8 today. From your experience how long should it be before I can sleep? This seems worse than last attempt.
I feel your pain. My insomnia didn't strike till almost 2 months after I stopped drinking. I was also only getting anywhere from 3 - 5 hours a night. I went to my doctor to get something help me get to sleep. Maybe you could try that?
Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Withdrawals can be worse each time, the longer we leave it to finally get Sober, the good news is that this can be the last time you have to go through it!!

For me it took a good couple of weeks to see some changes in my sleeping, the body can't repair or adjust over night after years of drinking, it can work it's magic, but it needs time to do it, hang in there, it'll come!!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it took about a month to start getting normal sleep - I usually get 6-7 hours.
Sometimes I take a benadryl for allergies and that puts me to sleep quickly !
Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I try to stay away from caffeine, sugar, etc. specially before bed.

Physical activity really does help I find.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I will get some benadryl for tonight and stay away from caffeine after like 3pm. I need to do something cause the last few days have been tough but I feel like a zombie today. Exhausted and restless
Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would KILL to get 4 or 5 hours a night. Im on day 31 and im lucky if I sleep more then 2 or 3 hours a night. Count your blessings because there are always people out there worse off then you. Hell I was at a meeting on Thursday and one guy said he was getting less then an hour a night and was starting to hallucinate due to sleep deprivation. Needless to say he would kill to get that 2 or 3 hours a night I get.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustEric View Post
I would KILL to get 4 or 5 hours a night. Im on day 31 and im lucky if I sleep more then 2 or 3 hours a night. Count your blessings because there are always people out there worse off then you. Hell I was at a meeting on Thursday and one guy said he was getting less then an hour a night and was starting to hallucinate due to sleep deprivation. Needless to say he would kill to get that 2 or 3 hours a night I get.
Wow, 2-3 hours a night must be extra rough. I hope we can both manage some good sleep sometime soon! Honestly though, I'm not complaining cause I'm counting my blessing that I didn't wake up with a hangover on a Saturday! It was odd to be up and clearheaded (other than the groggyness from lack of sleep). I hope it clears up for me before day 31. By the way, congratulations on day 31! I have only made it to day 30th in the past.