Notices

Have you seen this???

Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Have you seen this???

I watched this documentary about alcoholism today. Someone on here suggested it. OMG! You will never want to drink again after you watch it! It is helping me stay sober today!

Rain in my Heart (Full). - YouTube
Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Very sad.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Yes. Very sad.
I bet if everyone on SR watched this entire thing many would stay sober! I am!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
It's quite an eyeopener that documentary, a great reminder!!

However the problem with alcoholism, is we quickly with the passing of time can forget all the bad stuff, all the things that even happened to ourselves, how life was when we were drinking, we try to convince ourselves that actually everything wasn't so bad, maybe I could even now moderate and have a few drinks!!

Our minds can eventually dismiss even the most horrific story of alcoholism if allowed to perpetuate any myths it wants to!!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

Funny story: I did. And I kept drinking to the point of needing hospitalization a handful if times, detox twice.

It's a terrible, horrifying disease and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Glad to be putting in the work now to stay sober and healthy.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I have seen it and it has been posted here before.
I think Vanda passed away too.

I can't say I 'liked' watching this, but I found it more realistic than intervention type stuff and Dr Phil etc.

I think it should be watched and used more as an educational tool to show young adults maybe starting out drinking as a warning of what can happen when drinking passes over the line into dependence.

I was really horrified by the young woman that died early on who justified her binge drinking.

I think another important wake up that is documented well is that none of the people featured in the programme fit the stereotype we usually have or mistakingly understand an alcoholic to be. They are not homeless, dirty, aged tramps, drinking under bridges begging for money for more booze.
They have homes, a place to stay, families, relationships, clean clothes etc etc.

So very sad.
RIP to the one's that did not make it.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've seen it. Very sad, indeed.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post

However the problem with alcoholism, is we quickly with the passing of time can forget all the bad stuff, all the things that even happened to ourselves, how life was when we were drinking, we try to convince ourselves that actually everything wasn't so bad, maybe I could even now moderate and have a few drinks!!

Our minds can eventually dismiss even the most horrific story of alcoholism if allowed to perpetuate any myths it wants to!!
This is exactly what happened to me, after 2 years of sobriety I forgot how bad things were and convinced myself that I could drink moderately ... here I am two years later with health issues from that moderate weekender binge drinking I convinced myself was ok to do. 13 days sober and im trying again. lesson learned, do not get complacent with your sobriety because relapse is always waiting right around the corner
Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Did not watch the whole thing. Not because I was not interested, but because it reminded me to much of a situation that I had delt with, and had left.....but that person is still in my heart
Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, heart breaking and a reminder of how bad things can get.

Thanks for posting
Old 08-08-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, I will check it out tonight!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's quite an eyeopener that documentary, a great reminder!! However the problem with alcoholism, is we quickly with the passing of time can forget all the bad stuff, all the things that even happened to ourselves, how life was when we were drinking, we try to convince ourselves that actually everything wasn't so bad, maybe I could even now moderate and have a few drinks!! Our minds can eventually dismiss even the most horrific story of alcoholism if allowed to perpetuate any myths it wants to!!
I agree Purpleknight! I had almost 6 years of sobriety after digging myself out of a bottom I didn't think could get any lower! I "forgot" how bad it was and relapsed last fall. :-( The thing I really worry about now is harming my liver. For "today" that is keeping me sober. :-)

Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Funny story: I did. And I kept drinking to the point of needing hospitalization a handful if times, detox twice. It's a terrible, horrifying disease and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Glad to be putting in the work now to stay sober and healthy.
I'm so glad you are sober now alphabet! You're right! Alcoholism is evil! :-(

Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Yes I have seen it and it has been posted here before. I think Vanda passed away too. I can't say I 'liked' watching this, but I found it more realistic than intervention type stuff and Dr Phil etc. I think it should be watched and used more as an educational tool to show young adults maybe starting out drinking as a warning of what can happen when drinking passes over the line into dependence. I was really horrified by the young woman that died early on who justified her binge drinking. I think another important wake up that is documented well is that none of the people featured in the programme fit the stereotype we usually have or mistakingly understand an alcoholic to be. They are not homeless, dirty, aged tramps, drinking under bridges begging for money for more booze. They have homes, a place to stay, families, relationships, clean clothes etc etc. So very sad. RIP to the one's that did not make it.
You're right Sasha! Most alcoholics don't "look" like alcoholics (in my opinion). I know I don't! And as long as I stay sober I have a chance.

I relate to that poor girl who died. I'm (or was) a binge drinker too. Very sad.

I agree that young people should watch it!

Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carrie36 View Post
This is exactly what happened to me, after 2 years of sobriety I forgot how bad things were and convinced myself that I could drink moderately ... here I am two years later with health issues from that moderate weekender binge drinking I convinced myself was ok to do. 13 days sober and im trying again. lesson learned, do not get complacent with your sobriety because relapse is always waiting right around the corner
It's ok Carrie. I has almost 6 years and "forgot how bad it was" and drank again last fall! I'm only 4 days sober after a series of binges. I'm determined to live a sober life!!! Good luck to you!

Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
Did not watch the whole thing. Not because I was not interested, but because it reminded me to much of a situation that I had delt with, and had left.....but that person is still in my heart
Sorry airwick. :-( Hang in there!

Old 08-08-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, I watched that one last night actually. So tragic. From that I ended up watching all sorts of recovery Youtube stuff from "Intervention" to the Dr. Phil intervention of Jael Strauss who went from some sort of finalist on America's Top Model to a severe meth addict...the toll on here was so very evident. She didn't even look like the same person. I tried to see if her rehab was successful but couldn't find too much except for a few pics where she did look indeed better.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Saw it,

...............and by the Grace of God I go.

Need these reminders all of us.................

Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great point Purpleknight.

I watched this in 2010 when I first joined SR and drank for four more years before I stopped. It is too easy to forget. I had convinced myself that by taking my vitamin B everyday I wouldn't end up like the people in the movie. I had to be brought to my knees four years later to really get it. Great documentary though.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I havnt seen that one but i have seen plenty of docs about drinking in one of my many visits to drunk driving school. Back then it didnt phase me. Even if it worked up emotion and guilt id just drink and numb it