Notices

Day 4... Going to Dr. about BP

Old 08-08-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4... Going to Dr. about BP

I'm 80 some hours without a drink, feeling good and strong mentally, was feeling really good physically. Yesterday I posted about pressure in head. I've never had it before and I'm scared. My sister who is an RN is telling me that I'm not going to get Dt's this late in the game with no other symptoms but it's the anxiety in me that's getting to me. My BP was 145/89 which is scary because it had been normal up until now, (she's been checking it) and I do not have a history of high BP. She thinks it's my massive anxiety about our house showings yesterday. Not messing around with it and going to try to get into a Dr. Today. Thoughts anyone? Any similar experiences?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would just go to get checked out, better save then sorry!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anxiety could certainly be part of it, but it's best to not mess around, glad you are seeing your doctor. I has BP issues and even heart palpitations, irregular heartbeat associated with my drinking/withdrawals and ended up in the ER so I'm glad to hear you are being proactive.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like the others better to be safe!

But to share my experience, I am always stressed about having my BP checked, so it's always on the high end.

They can set you up with a 24 hour machine that will take it randomly, it willdetermine if it's just a spike or constant.

Good luck, and try to relax, it's a vicious circle, stress, high BP, more stress.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My BP was in that range consistently while drinking and for several months after I quit. I did see a Dr and was put on BP meds which bought it right down. Now my BP is below 120/80 w/o any meds. Other issues like profuse sweating and low heat tolerance are also gone now. It's great to be able to exercise on a hot day ( golf, yoga, bike) and not feel like I'm going to die. Don't panic but see your Dr to take care of this. Not drinking will give you back your health in time. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ugh! Can't get into a Dr. today. I don't have a primary Dr. besides an obgyn and they all close at 12pm on Fridays. However, I checked it again, and said 131/84. Not THAT bad, and the pressure is barely there anymore, so I'll have to wait until Monday at the very least. It doesn't hurt, it's just annoying. Hopefully it goes away!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best to get it checked out, stay safe!!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you get concerned over the weekend, don;t forget the ER as an option

D
Old 08-08-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi tara. Congratulations on your 4 sober days.

My blood pressure spiked very badly the first 3 days. I was light headed & felt really strange. I do think it's something to get investigated. As Dee mentioned, the ER is always there. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm doing much better, thanks! Pressure is coming and going but nothing else is going on symptom wise. I'm actually super tired and can't wait for bed. Hopefully if I was going to have a seizure, I would have already had one, as I'm coming up on 96 hours. My husband is home now, and will be for the weekend, so if I have any issues, I'll be sure to get somewhere.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please do get medical attention if necessary.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Get a good nights sleep and check back with us in the morning
Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Consider keeping a little BP journal and try to check it through the day. I did this for awhile and started to identify what things raised and lowered it. Plus if you see the doc, showing him your BP history will greatly help them understand how to proceed. I found that doing meditation even once a week had a good affect on my BP. I hope it gets better soon!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mine was 190/105 and is one of the reasons I quit. I had an EKG and it showed I have a slight enlargement of the heart. I'm sober, on bp meds and eating better and now I'm around 110/70. Please have the doctor do an EKG to get a baseline cause hypertension can be a serious issue if left untreated. Good luck and you'll be ok!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Taramaree,

My BP was psychotically high the last time I visited the doctor's office. It was 180 or 190/something. I've been sober for about six weeks now and it is waaaaaay down. I think it was high for about a week after stopping. Cutting out the booze can be nothing but good for our blood pressure.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'm actually doing really well right now. Slept AMAZING last night! Like I said in previous posts, my older sister is a RN, and we planned on going to her house today and me taking a log of my BP. Everytime I've checked it at walmart or CVS, I've had my kids with me, and were trying to keep them still etc, so it may have been off. My plan is to still see a Dr. next week if the pressure comes back. Should I be honest about my past alcohol intake, or just let them do their thing testing wise since I'm no longer drinking?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What does your sister the RN recommend?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking, on Day 1 and 2, I was fine then on Day 3 my BP went up to 141/93. I went to the ER and was checked out. I was fine and sent home. I don't know how much you used to drink. I was pretty much a bottle of wine a day drinker but the week before I quit I had a toothache on a camping trip and decided whiskey would be a good choice (excuse). Yes, whiskey is good for tooth pain but you only need like 1oz. I bought the smallest bottle but still, whiskey is whiskey. Not to ramble, but when my BP shot up 3 days after I quit I got so scared and it makes you feel so weird (high BP). I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor if it happens again, just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

It's best to be honest with your doctor. You may not get proper treatment if you don't mention it. I bawled my eyes out to the first medical profeesional I told. Once you tell one it gets easier to tell the next. Take care.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

She wants me to be honest, but is also setting me up with a Primary Care Provider, who she believes will keep it off my chart. My BP is a little high today, averaging around 124/80, but I also smoke (gross I know). She says it's nothing to worry about at this time, however, she tells me there could be other causes then just me stopping drinking, so I'll get checked next week. High BP runs in my family, I'm overweight, and I smoke, so it looks like I need to get a few other things in check besides stopping drinking to see if I can lower it own my own. I don't need withdrawal meds at this point, but I'll see what he/she says.