Notices

need some advice from people who have been there

Old 08-07-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need some advice from people who have been there

Hello.
I am struggling right now with trying to accept that I need to quit drinking. The more I think about it the more I realize everything I have been doing for two years has revolved around drinking. I have to go to my ranch tomorrow, and typically this was the time I would be face down drunk for the majority of the time. I drink often with my wife, and a little socially, but when alone I get bad, really bad. It never turns out like I want it to, it always is a total waste of time and I get psychotic ideas now when I get lubed up when a lone. So a few quick questions.

1. Should I tell my wife I am stopping drinking? She drinks a lot, not near as much as me, but we are "drinkers". I don't want to tell her because in the past I have said I am going to cut down on drinking, but it does not last. She is awesome, best woman on the planet, but I don't think she wants to quit, and maybe she does not need to quit.

2. Since EVERYTHING I have done in the past two years has revolved around alcohol, how do I change my mindset for everything I do so it will not include alcohol. I have drank for 25 years, but retired 2 years ago and have done nothing other than drink. Sit by a pool, drink. Go to the ranch, drink. BBQ and cook while drinking, go to my kids sports events and drink before and after. There is a pretty common denominator with everything I do, drink.

3. I used to own liquor stores and other businesses and when we sold out I bought a lifetime supply of booze. Easily 60 cases of whisky, bourbon, tequila, scotch, vodka, and all the bottles of the fun stuff. Should I sell this stuff to get it away from me or not. I honestly have finished maybe 4 bottles of booze in the last two years, I don't like it as much as beer. I have also finished hundreds of cases of beer, but I have to buy it and the liquor does not call me.

I have been to shrinks before with no luck, I tend to gravitate toward people who have been there done that. I would appreciate some thoughts or advice on these matters.

I hope everyone is doing well, I am very confused. Thanks
Old 08-07-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, herradura! I am glad you are here, there is so much support here!

Here are my answers:

Yes, tell your wife. This is big. Ask for her help in whatever form would be best for you. You would want to know if she were making a major change. And you will have some accountability if you tell her.

Think about what you did before you drank to excess. What sorts of things did you enjoy? Try those out again. And find some non-alcoholic drinks to enjoy now. I switched to regular sodas (they seemed to replace the sugar in the alcohol that my body was craving), ginger ale, tonic water, fruit juices. Remember HALT: hungry, angry, lonely, tired. Avoid those as much as possible. Be patient with yourself.

I was like you in that liquor doesn't really call to me. I have a bottle of vodka in my house that I haven't opened it in over a year. But if you aren't going to drink it and your wife isn't going to drink it, you might as well sell it and use the money on something to enjoy with your new sobriety. If you were allergic to cats, you wouldn't keep a basement full of them, right?

Good luck. Hope to see more of you!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by herradura View Post

Since EVERYTHING I have done in the past two years has revolved around alcohol, how do I change my mindset for everything I do so it will not include alcohol.
Everyone here made alcohol or drugs or both the center of their lives. And those that got clean and sober made the changes needed to get recovered. If you are ready to quit, you will too.

Or you'll keep drinking.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I were her I'd want to be told. She may want to support you but can't if she doesn't know you quit.

Find new things to do that don't involve drinking. It will take some time before you feel comfortable sober but it will come.

You'll be surprised how much better you feel sober.

Welcome to the SR family.

PS; I'd sell the booze.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd tell her.
Just tell her straight out that you think getting crocked all the time is just wasting time.
I think once you get some times sober behind you, you'll start to enjoy it.
At first it's scary as hell. But, well worth the effort.

You can have just as much fun, if not more, sober as you can being drunk.
It's just takes a while to rewire your brain back to how things were before the artificial fun booze brings on.

I'd sell all that booze and use it for some hobby,trip..ect that will keep you busy and take your mind off drinking.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hello herradura. I had to tell my wife because otherwise, a sober me would be a shock. My wife drinks quite a bit. Her main concern after I told her I was quitting was, "I don't have to quit, do I?" I live in a drinking household so avoiding alcohol isn't an option.

Like you, I drank for 30 years+ prior to quitting. The last several years, morning, noon, & night. I quit doing all the things I loved doing for alcohol. At 21 or 22 days, I'm no expert, but like smoking, I've convinced myself "never again." Time will tell, but confidence is high.

If I were you and nobody drinks all that booze, I'd get rid of it. You can't hide from alcohol forever, but you can lower your exposure. Plus, the act of getting rid of it is symbolic of quitting drinking.

The facts are clear. Sobriety is the solution for people like us.

There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, tell her. Talking about it with her, an AA group, and on here makes a huge difference. We do this together, not alone. Glad you are here. Keep on posting.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I'm glad that you are seeking support for your drinking.

If you think that your wife would be supportive, then telling her is probably a good idea. Like you, I had made many promises, so when I finally did stop drinking, I didn't say anything. I just let me actions show the change.

Yes, you will have to make changes in your life. We all have had to make our lifestyle conducive to recovery. Exercise is something that helps a lot, making new friends, getting involved in activities that don't revolve around alcohol - all those things can help.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, I really struggled with your post. The awe of what we are about to banish from our lives when we make the decision to stop drinking is stupendously huge. Or, at least it seems that way for a while. I think it is the addictive voice telling us, begging us, not to stop. You know what? Just stop drinking and you will figure the rest out when your brain is able to function again. We are here to listen and to support you.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Question 1- I didn't tell my husband I quit drinking. I don't know why. I just didn't. I guess it was such an intensely personal decision and I wasn't sure if I really could do it. I had tried several times and failed. I don't think it really matters what you decide regarding tell or not tell.
Question 2- Your life revolves around drinking- then you decide not to drink. Now for a long time your life revolves around not drinking. It's such a struggle it consumes you. Then one day you wake up and discover that you aren't struggling anymore and then your life revolves around whatever you want.
Question 3- I managed to quit drinking with a lot of alcohol around me everyday. My husband is a daily drinker and probably an alcoholic. His drinking is his business and I can't tell him not to have alcohol in the house. I don't see a reason for having the amount of alcohol you are describing hanging around but if you want it for sentimental reasons I don't think it makes any difference.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Been there done that" folks at AA...lots of retired people there.

There is a story in the Big Book of AA that talks about the guy who retired and drank himself to death in five years. Don't be that guy.

Your wife is going to notice if you aren't drinking.

We've all had to radically change how we do life once we stopped. Changed for the better, I might add.

Just don't pick up a drink tomorrow. Try a few meetings - it may or may not be a fit for you.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I appreciate the thoughts. There is no doubt in my mind I need to quit, and as stupid as it sounds, if I don't tell people I have quit then if I start drinking again I did not fail. Maybe there is a lack of commitment. I love drinking alcohol, I love it, but it does not love me. I pretty much hate most people and am very cynical, I used to really like most people and was very positive. There is no doubt it is the booze that has changed me, and that is why it does not work for me.

Yes my wife has already noticed that I am not drinking, but I did the majority of my face down drinking alone. I cooked her a nice dinner for her birthday and she was upset that we did not go to the pool and have a few drinks. I just told her I am backing off. the problem with backing off, is I have done it a few dozen times, and eventually I end up in the same place; face down drunk.

I want my old self back where I wake up in the morning and want to accomplish something instead of just waiting, hurrying up waiting, for a time to get drunk. I have accomplished more things this week than I have in two months, simple things like cleaning up things that before were always put off until a later time.

I appreciate some of the posts where they say their spouse still drinks and that is their business. We have a similar relationship, my wife exercised everyday for two hours, I am very overweight and have exercised more this week than in 5 months.

Four years ago I had a terrible benzo addiction which I overcame with titration, did not seek outside help other than a site like this. It was crazy difficult as I was working 80+ hours a week, had a lot of personal and business problems, but I whipped it. I still keep a huge supply of those drugs in my safe, and I never have gotten rid of them. The withdrawal process is so difficult I swore to never do them again, and to date I have not.

This is probably not the place to discuss it, but drugs are different in many ways than alcohol, I know alcohol is a drug, but I took the benzos to sleep, not as a part of my everyday existence. So this is going to be a struggle, but anything in life worth doing is difficult.

One thing for sure, is I feel extremely good having not had a drink in almost a week. I am heading to the ranch tomorrow by myself and I wont drink tomorrow. Screw it, it does not work for me anymore. I like waking up not thinking I need to stop drinking today, been doing that for years. I really enjoy not laying around waiting to feel human and then as soon as I do getting into the beer for any number of reasons, because the end result is not positive. I think it is sort of like wanting to remember what it was like dating when you were young; it was exciting, new, and very fun. Well that is over, it will never return and the fun I had drinking will not be the same as it used to be. I have been trying to have the "good times" drinking and it simply does not work. It changes a person, the effects are cumulative and at a point only destructive.

Sorry for the thoughts, but I certainly feel better and I am not going to drink tomorrow, and I am going to get rid of the Xanax, Diazepam, Trazadone, Ambien, and my old time favorite, restoril.

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That was an awesome post.

Enjoy your ranch, I'll bet it is really beautiful - I hope you will have time to be grateful and to experience fully the majesty of nature.

Going to bed sober is the best
Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Slipped,

"Question 2- Your life revolves around drinking- then you decide not to drink. Now for a long time your life revolves around not drinking. It's such a struggle it consumes you. Then one day you wake up and discover that you aren't struggling anymore and then your life revolves around whatever you want."

Wow. In 4 sentences you summed it up perfectly. So simple, yet so profound.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Herradurra,
That doesn't sound stupid at all. I did that a lot before I finally quit for good. I would resolve to quit, but not tell my husband. I told myself the reason was that I was afraid of failing (and I believed this...but I think unconsciously I was planning an escape route by thinking of failing in the same breath as quitting in the first place.) The honest reasons were 1) I didn't want to bring further attention to my drinking as I was already on thin ice with him about it...and 2) Lack of commitment. If I changed my mind and wanted to drink again, it would be much easier for me to do so without having to be accountable to him or anyone else.

Your situation is a bit different as you have a willing drinking buddy in your wife who isn't giving you a hard time about your drinking. I would tell her so that she can support you. BUT, you have to be prepared just in case she doesn't support you. My husband drinks too, and though he wanted me to quit, he certainly continued to drink around me in large quantities. It's ultimately not about them, it's about you.

I love what inchworm said about quitting, and figuring the rest out when your brain is able to function again. Also, Slipped made an excellent point about dealing with the struggle of not drinking for a while until you one day realize you're not struggling anymore and the whole world is your oyster again. I wasn't expecting that going in. I thought it would be rainbows and unicorns based on how relieved I was to stop drinking at first. Then it got harder, mentally. I was conflicted. Then, suddenly I wasn't. I believe that was the result of a lot of introspection, and forcing myself to be honest...even if only with myself. I didn't feel the need to make big pronouncements along the way to my husband. He wouldn't/couldn't understand the weight of my revelations anyway (which is fine). That's what this site is for...and I am so grateful for what I've learned here and for the support.

Congrats on your sober time. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. The rest will come.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I would tell her. If she isn't a problem drinker, she may even decide to support you by joining you - you never know, or not drinking around you anyway. Good luck xxx
Old 08-08-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So, last night after posting I went to the safe and emptied out my old buddies who were waiting for me to use the again. It was a very odd feeling dumping all the prescriptions into the toilet. Had to flush it three times. Used to own a pharmacy and was able to gather what ever I needed to get through the day. Always stayed away from pain killers, because I knew I would get hooked on them.

Heading to the ranch today and I am not going to drink, and going to empty the beer fridge as I wont in any circumstances drink warm beer. I have big plans to get a lot of work done and if I don't drink, the work gets done, I sleep under the stars and wake up feeling good. If I do drink, the work does not get done, I will be restless all night, will drink until I get psychotic and plot out ways to relieve the paranoia, then wake up feeling regret and embarrassment. I can solve this problem before it starts and I don't have to do anything other than not drink.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and stays sober. I am going to.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck this weekend herradura. Once you get through the milestone of your first weekend sober at your ranch you will feel pretty darn good. Just be vigilant. Do you have internet there? You may want to check in with your friends at SR for support.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I dont have internet, cell phone service, T.V. or anything. That is why I like it up there so much. Good part is there is a fire ban right now and I cant sit by the fire and drink beer. So I will just work and then go to bed clear headed. I have a horse, 8 chickens, a dog and many frogs to keep me company. More importantly for me is just work until I cant work anymore, then read for a while and go to bed sober.

Thanks again!!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Powerful stuff you've posted - good for you on your honesty!
I am guessing we are about the same age give or take - I have owned businesses as well over the years and perhaps can identify what your feeling. Booze was my life - all plans whether traveling, fishing, hunting, baseball games etc were planned around the drink! Access was always first and foremost in all events. If I couldn't have it before, during and after I rarely partook.

I am just over 60 days sober today. Sobriety is not to be feared as I did in 30+ years of drinking. Could not have imagined life w/o it. Today, I am so grateful for this brief sobriety - it continues to change my life daily. Happy, joyous and free as they say.....

AA has helped me understand the foundational issues with drinking as the effect, not the cause. I have learned much in a caring environment filled with great fellowship and humor!

You might give it a try. It was hard for me to ASK FOR HELP as bootstrapping is what us in business tend to do. It did not work for me when I tried numerous times to quit. In the AA big book there is a section of stories. One group of these is entitled They Stopped In Time. I identify at this point with those folks the most. Sounds like perhaps your in a similar boat.

Keep posting honestly and you will find a lot of support here!!

If Ben, Hoss and Lil Joe can be sober with daily shootings and wranglers, it should be a breeze for you this weekend at the ranch Paw!

peace