Notices

Day 20

Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 20

Overall, this week has been good but today was challenging. Work was long and stressful and I really had a desire to escape and drink. Normally, when I get home I feel proud of not drinking, but today I didn't really care and still have a strong craving.

Historically, this is where things start getting tough for me. The longest I have ever been sober is 3 weeks and I'm approaching that now. Normally what happens is an inner-dialogue "Hey, you haven't drank for three weeks - you have proven you are fine, you have your goals/financial/fitness routine back on track, its OK if you go out occasionally". However, I know its easy to get back in a routine with drinking and I will continue to avoid it.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here daily really help ground me. I kept seeing my story over and over again. That really stopped the rationalisations, like
  • maybe I overreacted
  • maybe I just needed a break
  • I've proved I don't need it, maybe I can control it now
  • I'll just take one night off, blow out the cobwebs, and get back to recovery tomorrow...

D
Old 08-07-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ANewDay,

Show yourself that you can get through this better than before. Good for you on reaching out. Just don't pick up that first drink.

I understand your feelings. It's not so long ago, that I was right where you are now. The longest I'd ever gone was 3 months. With help from God, I am almost 7 months sober.

Be gentle on yourself but stay strong. Reach out for help wherever you can get it. We're here for you. AA, church, nature, take a walk. Just know you are more than what your av wants to tell you.

The cravings will soon be just a tiny little voice if you hang tough. Together we can do this. Do it for you!

Thinking of you........................
Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

NewDay, have you had this same awareness when you have reached around 3 weeks before? The great thing is that you are aware of your thought process and fighting back. Plus you are here on SR. You can keep going!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha.. "I haven't had a drink in 2 weeks! I'm so awesome! I should celebrate by having some drinks!!" Yes, I'm intimately familiar with this line of logic. Anyway, it's good that you recognize that it's a trap. Don't let the part of you who wants to drink get away with it.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 20 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Nice Job NYC! Man, I love the city .....it's been years.

Here's another quote from RLS;
Everybody, soon or late, sits down to a banquet of consequences

Boy, how true.......Hope you are in or considering some live support as well as SR - it sure helps me!

Great job !!