Notices

Day 9, feeling stronger and better each day.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9, feeling stronger and better each day.

Good morning all. I'm headed into day 9 here and last night I got a great night's sleep. Really normal, good sleep. I feel asleep easily and slept throughout the night without waking That sure felt good. I've also noticed a slight decreases in the absolute obsession with alcohol. I still fight daily cravings, multiple times per day, but it isn't as constant as the first few days. I am terrified to let my guard down- and won't- but I am wondering when this near constant obsession will begin to die down. I am sure it is different for everyone....

I am so thankful for the nearly immediate positive changes though, those are giving me a huge motivation. I feel better. I look better. My relationship with my children is already better. My relationship with my boyfriend is better. I go through each day without that horrible guilt and paranoia.

I am terrified of getting too comfortable though, I know how dangerous this addiction is. Coming on here and reading is a great daily reminder though.
For those of you in your first days, fighting the terrible withdrawls and cravings, look at me, I'm only 9 days in and although I have miles and miles to go, it is already better. If you don't go through those first days now, you will just do more damage, suffer more and STILL have to go through those same things at a later time. There is no way around it. Waiting will not improve or change anything. You just have to get through the first days.

Keep staying strong and have a great day everyone!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 9! It will get easier and things will keep improving. I come here for a daily reminder too... SR helps me to stay on the right track! Best wishes.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling better and positive.Congrats on day 9
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 9...I am looking forward to it.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I've been thinking the same so I don't know the answer to that. I gave up cigs two months ago and I rarely crave them now but it does still happen. That said, when I do experience a craving it's much easier to deal with compared to the early days. Its more of a quick passing thought than a craving but I still have to be on guard. I'm trying to see if there are any comparisons between the two addictions and I do see some. Day 5 for me, onwards and upwards!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a real boost that you can see a noticeable difference so soon in your quality of life! Keep on checking in here.

I think it's great that you let the people in your life know that you've quit drinking, too. Accountability can really put the searchlight on you when you are tempted to sneak away in the dark--suddenly a friend says, "How's your drinking?" and you are forced to make a decision, either good or bad.

Friends can also give you a pat on the back when you need it.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Great post, Mera. So pleased you're doing well
Old 08-07-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad you are doing well Meraviglioso. Great job!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Oh, another plus. I just did a mega shop at the supermarket. Got to the checkout and couldn't believe the total. The grocery shop costs significantly less without all the alcohol
Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I think it's great that you let the people in your life know that you've quit drinking, too.

I still have to tell the father of my children, but I am waiting for the right moment for that. He's been in a pretty foul mood of late so I have tried to avoid him.

The telling people has been good for me this time around though. I feel more support- even if people don't really know what to do- and I am able to speak up if I feel uncomfortable.
This morning I spoke to my boyfriend and we made plans to have dinner at my house tonight. He said "It's so hot, I don't want you to have to cook, I'll pick up a bunch of cheeses and spreads and we can eat that for dinner." Well I thought about it a lot after I hung up and finally decided to call him back. I said "just the mention of the word cheese sets off a huge craving for wine. I don't feel ready to eat a meal of cheese just yet, can we have something else?" And it was fine! He was totally supportive and fine with changing the menu. Had I not told him that this was a life-long goal (not just a stop for a bit type of deal) I don't think I would have felt comfortable calling him.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mera;
Isn't "normal" sleep wonderful?

Yes, I think you will find the cravings decrease but you should remember that they
will come out of the blue for some time. Keep your guard up when they do, and
just because you have been successful so far, say no to any voice in your head that
says you can have "just one glass" or a "reward" for doing so well.

That is a very slippery slope!

I think you are doing a fantastic job.
Keep sharing and let us know how you are.
Enjoy the meal with your boyfriend.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work! It can only get better!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice post. I completely understand how a cheese plate would trigger a crave for wine. So glad you picked up that phone and changed the menu.
So glad to hear your sobriety feels strong and lovely today. Those are wonderful days. Seems there are more and more of them as we progress.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It sure sounds crazy but I am trying to be careful about what I am eating. My main drink was wine so it is difficult for me to think of the fish without the white, the steak without the red.... But let's face it, the wine snob was just a front, I'd down that 2 week old bottle of cooking wine if it were all that was left in the house.
In any case, certain foods I am avoiding as the wine seemed at the time to be so integral to their enjoyment. I know I will grow out of that, but for now I'd rather play it safe.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
It sure sounds crazy but I am trying to be careful about what I am eating. My main drink was wine so it is difficult for me to think of the fish without the white, the steak without the red.... But let's face it, the wine snob was just a front, I'd down that 2 week old bottle of cooking wine if it were all that was left in the house.
In any case, certain foods I am avoiding as the wine seemed at the time to be so integral to their enjoyment. I know I will grow out of that, but for now I'd rather play it safe.
Ditto..ditto..ditto. I once heard a guy talk at an AA meeting about what a wine connoisseur he fancied himself. It was incredibly humurous actually. He said he subscribed to the magazines and had them lying on the coffee table but struggled to fill the cellar...cuz in truth he was just a big ole drunk.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well and feeling supported by your family.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done on 9 days, Meraviglioso! You sound very strong and determined.

I enjoy reading your posts.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Way to go!! Soon, you will add a zero to that nine I have no doubts....all one day at a time!!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awholenewlife52 View Post
Well done on 9 days, Meraviglioso! You sound very strong and determined.

I enjoy reading your posts.
What a lovely thing to say, thank you. AND, even better, just what I needed to hear right now. I was just coming on to post through a nasty nasty craving. One that left me feeling well, furious, if I'm honest. I wanted a glass of wine so bad I could have screamed. But my tried and trusted routine of checking in here has helped it to pass and not in small part due to your kind words! I'm going to get through this day by day, minute by minute. Thanks again, truly.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 9!! Keep it going!!