Notices

Alcohol documentary, a sad wake up story

Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A "sobering" tale if I ever saw one. I watched it last night T-Pat. I was so very surprised and saddened by the ending. I really thought it might end well ya know...guess I hoped it would. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Simply horrifying, yet as I watched, that voice piped up and said, "See, you were never that bad. Eating a day's worth of calories in a week?! You weren't that bad. You probably ate too much. Bone damage? Not you. Hell, you never once even threw up from drinking or a hangover. You're taking it all much too seriously!"

But I know I was well on my way to being that bad. I was physically addicted and finally had to drop my pride and go to the doctor for help getting sober. I could understand completely the transformation Ryan underwent when he was withdrawing and finally got more alcohol into his system. I understand what that feels like and it's terrifying.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. Just watched it and wasn't expecting that ending RIP Ryan.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungTom View Post
Like Dee said I have watched this but couldn't watch it again.

It's absolutely gut wrenching.

The sad thing is last September I was pouring 250ml bottles of gin into a pint glass with squash and necking it in the mornings either that or wine.

I'm glad I was hospitalised and detoxed quickly before it got even more out of control and I put my family through the sheer hell his must have gone through.

RIP to that poor dude.

Tom
But Tom you can give, and must have given already, your family a lot of happiness that you didn't die like Ryan. That really would have been sheer hell for them. You need to hold on to that and keep making them happy and you happy too.

xx
Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting - huge wake up call
Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Heart breaking. My dear friend passed away the same way last fall. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

I've seen this video before. It's soooo real, and incredibly sad.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I watched this last night which coincided with my day 1 night. Was such an eye opener. And he was only 28! Soooo sad! ...I must say tho, his brother really bothered me. I don't know why. He always seemed to have this weird smug kinda look on his face. Mind u, it's probably just how he normally looks, I dunno. But something about him rubbed me the wrong way...could be cuz I was on edge myself...but there was just something about his mannerisms....lol I don't know. My brain has been pretty foggy and slow all day.
End of day 2 for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Definitely a must watch. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I watched this earlier today, thanks for sharing. I wonder what his exact cause of death was. So so so so so sad
Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

"Rain in my heart" has a very poignant ending. The doctor hands the issue back to the patient saying "you tell me what will stop you drinking because I am running out of ideas. Will ANYTHING stop you drinking" ???? The patient doesn't answer

Last edited by Keeping it in the day; 08-08-2014 at 04:45 AM. Reason: mistake in text
Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My sister died from alcoholism when she was 35. We did NOT grow up with alcoholic parents. In fact, our childhood was out of Leave it to Beaver. She found alcohol when she was in her teens. . . and never looked back. I did not drink until my kids got out of college and were on their own. Then started hanging out at book club, game night, poetry readings. . .things with my girlfriends. One drink here, one drink there. . . then all hell broke loose. I only had a 3 year drinking "career" but, MAN, it grabbed me hard and slammed me down. I only wish now that I understood back when my sister needed me.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Just finished the video. Holy cats! The emotions that came up in me... scared me half to death... made me sick watching... made me SAD... I have a brother in law who is slowly dieing because of alcohol. This really really scared me. The fact on the video that only 1 in 5 alcoholics achieve sobriety freaked me out. FREAKED me out. What if I can't do it?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Which video did you watch. Ryan's story?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by jude1963 View Post
Which video did you watch. Ryan's story?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Yeah, Ryan. I have tears in my eyes.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Watch "rain in my heart" as well when you feel up for it.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
Just finished the video. Holy cats! The emotions that came up in me... scared me half to death... made me sick watching... made me SAD... I have a brother in law who is slowly dieing because of alcohol. This really really scared me. The fact on the video that only 1 in 5 alcoholics achieve sobriety freaked me out. FREAKED me out. What if I can't do it?
That stat jumped out at me, too, but then I thought about it for a while. There can only be stats that account for reported cases of alcoholism, those who end up in the hospital or rehab. There are probably many millions more who have become addicted but then quit on their own and are never accounted for in any such stats. Using myself as an example, I drank for 26 years before I sought medical help for it. Up until then, I drank in secrecy and when I would quit, I just did it on my own. Problem was I didn't stay quit and kept coming back for more.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness. Watching his eyes and face when he has had the alcohol makes me dizzy and gives me a headache, like I have sympathy over-indulgence. That is so hard to watch.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
That stat jumped out at me, too, but then I thought about it for a while. There can only be stats that account for reported cases of alcoholism, those who end up in the hospital or rehab. There are probably many millions more who have become addicted but then quit on their own and are never accounted for in any such stats. Using myself as an example, I drank for 26 years before I sought medical help for it. Up until then, I drank in secrecy and when I would quit, I just did it on my own. Problem was I didn't stay quit and kept coming back for more.
Good point on the stats. I feel a little better. But still kinda freaked out by the film. When I'm calm again, I'm going to watch the one that Jude suggested.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I watched the Ryan film before. To be honest, I find the ending a bit weird, it is cut short in a way that is odd to me. Why did Ryan die? When finally he went to rehab? I am not suggesting it's unrealistic, but they could have done a better job explaining it more for the purpose of education.

Other that that, yes it's extremely scary and sad.