Notices

AA question about age

Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA question about age

So I'm over a year sober and almost 30. I didn't do AA I just did it on my own with finding lots of hobbies and staying away from triggers. I'm starting now to get that voice in my head though saying "you quit drinking for an entire year without AA there's no way you have a true problem, have a drink and just cut back on the drinking a little more than you used to."

Questions

Is it normal to go to a first AA meeting when you're already a year sober?

There is the normal AA and then there is "young people's group", at 29 which do I do? I don't want to go to a group with a bunch of college kids, but also I don't want to go to a group with older people that will laugh at me because I'm young and they don't think I'm an alcoholic? I'm not pointing fingers, I just don't know a lot of alcoholics and I've never been to AA so I don't know how it is with age

History: drinking since 14 probably, heavy since 23 (about 18 beers a night or so), done the whole hospital detox like 10 times cuz my withdrawals were so terrible, one seizure which I'm not even sure was a seizure because I was so screwed up
Old 08-06-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Citrusdrop, congratulations on a year sober.

I can't think anyone would laugh at you at AA, after all, everyone is there for the same reason.

I just turned a year sober myself and been having thoughts that I could perhaps drink normal now. I then read experiences on SR and also recall my behaviour when drinking and how one drink wasn't enough. I keep reminding myself of those days when thoughts of drinking come to mind.

I don't go to AA myself but I know there are a lot of people here who it has helped enormously. Give it a go, but be assured, no one is going to laugh at you for whatever reason.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

no one will laugh at you in aa or think you haven't drunk long enough etc
the whole idea of aa is to help people stop drinking before it gets worse

we dont have different age group meetings over in the uk so maybe a usa member can answer better over which age range to attend

give it a try as you dont have nothing to lose
Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just go,
the only requirement in AA is you want to stop drinking.
But try a few meetings, at least 5 in your first week to get a handle of what it's all about and hearing what others have to say about their own drinking and recovery journey/s
Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Citrusdrop7408 View Post
There is no such thing as "normal" when it comes to alcoholism. If you think it would help, just go. You'll be welcomed whether you have 1 day, 1 year or 1 decade of sobriety. Try a few different meetings and see what the different groups are like. The worst case scenario is that you spend a few hours with some other folks who have the same goal as you.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't go to the hospital for withdrawals. I'm 27, non-religious, and I've started normal AA. If someone laughs at you, try to shrug them off (that can be tough if you're insecure from drinking). But I doubt anyone will laugh at you. Who goes to AA meetings for fun?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think YPAA is for those 39 and younger, but you would be welcome at any meeting except for a men's only/women's only meeting (whichever does not apply to you).
Old 08-06-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the same way no one laughs at you here on SR, I can't imagine anyone laughing at you at AA either!!
Old 08-06-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love the young and learn from the old
and love the old and learn from the young.

The fellowship of recovery helps me each
day to stay sober just by hearing and sharing
experiences, strengths and hope of what
their lives were and are like before, during
anf after addiction.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are a variety of personalities in meetings and that is why there is a variety of meetings. I agree with the advice to try a number of them until you find one that is as comfy as your favorite pair of jeans
Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your year sober! Go to different types of meetings. I doubt anyone there will laugh at you. They are there to help the newcomers. That's the whole point of AA: to help yourself and others stay sober.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I wish, I was as smart as you and got sober younger.
There are people of all age groups and all walks of life at an AA meeting.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There is the normal AA and then there is "young people's group", at 29 which do I do? I don't want to go to a group with a bunch of college kids, but also I don't want to go to a group with older people that will laugh at me because I'm young and they don't think I'm an alcoholic? I'm not pointing fingers, I just don't know a lot of alcoholics and I've never been to AA so I don't know how it is with age
some of the greatest stuff I heard was from a young man 21 years old fresh out of rehab.
one that left me in awe was an open speaker I heard at a round up a few years ago. 42 years old and just celebrated 28 years of sobriety.

id say check out both. try different meetings. but no ones gonna laugh at ya for being 30.

before he was my 1st sponsor, I used to think that old fart didn't know crap. I was 36 and he was 68. then I learned he got sober when he was 33.
old farts weren't always old farts( me included). many got sober at a young age.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it was already said, but I'll say it again. detox X5 and various other unmentioned troubles from drinking. WHY do you think you could possibly go back to drinking again?
That is the downfall of so many. I suggest as others do, try out an AA meeting. And tell someone you have a year and if they think it would okay for you to drink again.

It is unfair to ask someone that at AA because the answer will always be no. But you'll find people there who thought it would be okay to drink after a year and it took them several to stop again.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"you quit drinking for an entire year without AA there's no way you have a true problem, have a drink and just cut back on the drinking a little more than you used to."
Many serious alcoholics quit drinking without using AA, so please don't ever believe that quitting without the 12-Steps means you never had a serious problem. But it seems you understand this already.

As for meeting demographics, I've found they are a mixed bag, with a number of people from all age groups. At 29 you would probably fit in well at regular meetings and young people's groups. I suggest you attend a number of meetings (if they are available in your area). I'm sure you can find a group that you like. And don't worry, no one will laugh at you.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you feel you need to go, then by all means go. Doesn't matter how much time, or how little, you've got. I wouldn't worry too much about the age thing though... there are all ages in AA. Try both, a younger group, and an older one. It might surprise you which one you fit into best. You might like them both!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I'm 32 and my AA home group is a young people's meeting. Average age range is about 23-28, but we regularly get people in the 40s, 50s and 60s. All are welcome.

I also attend a weekly men's meeting where I'm usually the youngest person by several years. No one has ever told me in this meeting that I wasn't "alcoholic enough." I have never been laughed at or mocked. Just loved and supported.

I get a ton out of both meetings.

If you feel you will benefit from some face to face support, give AA a shot. Having over a year sober at this point is a benefit, not a drawback.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm 33 and my homegroup is a young people's group as well! Most of our homegroup members are in their mid 20s but we have all ages show up. I went to the All California Young People in AA convention this year and we had a sobriety countdown where the person with the longest sobriety had 54 years! I love my homegroup. We have fun! We go out together, we fellowship, we have a subgroup that goes and crashes other meetings on Monday nights. It's lively!

As for already being sober, at least two of our members were sober for several years before coming to AA. One of the gals has 6 years and is just a year or two with AA. I've heard AA speakers talk about stopping drinking and being stark raving sober. I know the feeling!

AA doesn't care how old you are or how long you've been sober. You just have to have the desire to stop drinking. As far as meetings go, I think the only meetings where it's kinda strict about the restrictions is men's and women's meetings. Pretty straightforward there.

I just want to invite anyone who's interested in a young people's meeting and is in the area to visit me at Lake City Young People on the north side of Seattle on Tuesday nights at 7. All ages are welcome. We go our for dinner afterwards and have a tradition of First Course Pie when we go to the diner. It makes total sense. We don't want to risk getting full and not having room for pie!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good questions! I didn't start going to meetings until I had 3 months, my experience was that people were happy to see me.

As stated before the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. For me that means I can go to any AA meeting at any time (except womens meetings of course) since I have a desire to stop. Go to both the young and old people meetings and see which one you like the most. Nobody is going to hassle you for being at a meeting.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There is a man who attends an AA meeting I attend. Part of his story is that when he quit drinking he stayed sober for a year, much like you, with activities, work, hobbies, etc. after one year of sobriety he attended his first AA meeting. He's been attending ever since and he has been sober eleven years now.

As for being too young and not being taken seriously, most of the older members were already alcoholics at age 29. Most probably wish they had quit earlier. Some of the most inspirational and smartest members are the youngest. And consider that the fifty year old member who has twenty years of sobriety quit when they were your age.

Good luck to you.